Top 10 Local Brands In Thailand

kkengvibul

Jim Thompson is probably the best know retail brand, at least internationally. Is that what you mean, or are you talking about domestic brands? There's a considerable difference.

I think that "Local Brands" and 'domestic brands' are one and the same.

Edited by Artisan

Jim Thompson is probably the best know retail brand, at least internationally. Is that what you mean, or are you talking about domestic brands? There's a considerable difference.

Agree . . . brand is brand. I would think that Thai Airways and Red Bull would be more widely known than Jim Thompson.

The Business in Asia website has an article referring to the Superbrands Council for Thailand who produced lists of the top 10 brands for Thailand. The Superbrands web site now appears to have been abandoned.

From http://www.business-in-asia.com/thai_brands.html

Past Thai winners of Superbrand status include local Thai brands such as Malee, Tipco, Baby Mild, Jet, PTT, Dusit Thani and The Oriental Bangkok.

This years recognition also includes an equal mix in the top 10 most recognized brands of both international and local brands. The five local brands are AIS, Bangkok Hospital, Bumrungrad Hospital, Naraya and Pompui. The international brands in the top 10 in Thailand are AIA, Bupa Blue Cross, KFC, McDonald's and Pepsi.

In terms of international recognition, my humble opinion is that "Jim Thompson" is not well known outside of Thailand. Even now, when friends or relatives visit me here for the first time, "Jim Thompson" results in a blank look from them. However, when they see Chang beer they associate it immediately with UK football sponsorship. Singha beer also, as it is readily available in the UK. Thai International Airways is a name which is well known to them, obviously as they sometimes fly with that airline.

I think that a person has to come to Thailand first before the name "Jim Thompson" means anything....or maybe the company's marketing strategy doesn't extend to the shores of the UK.

Thailands biggest brandnames - difficult to say. It comes down to what each person is thinking of the sector that they are most exposed to (i.e. clothing brands, food brands, car brands ect ect) , but across the board, the most primnent brandname in Thailand is TOYOTA, followed verly closely by COKE and PEPSI COLA.

Then comes SONY and NIKE ............. and after that, well I guess we could debate that all nite.

OH - that is based in AC NIELSEN market research - I have a farng friend who works for them and have just phoned him. AC NIELSEN should know.

Tim

Thailands biggest brandnames - difficult to say. It comes down to what each person is thinking of the sector that they are most exposed to (i.e. clothing brands, food brands, car brands ect ect) , but across the board, the most primnent brandname in Thailand is TOYOTA, followed verly closely by COKE and PEPSI COLA.

Then comes SONY and NIKE ............. and after that, well I guess we could debate that all nite.

OH - that is based in AC NIELSEN market research - I have a farng friend who works for them and have just phoned him. AC NIELSEN should know.

Tim

Maizefarmer, I believe the OP was asking for local brands:

Does anyone know where i can find the top 10 local brands in THailand?

one more question!...

Is Red Bull actually Thai??

Krating Dang is Thai but Red Bull was founded by Dietrich Mateschitz...???

Kind of. The Red Bull corporation is Austrian, however the recipe is Thai. Dietrich Mateschitz traveled to thailand and discovered the drink, he then made some minor adjustments before he branded it his own. The headquarters of the Red Bull corp, which still is a privately owned company, are located in Fuschl am See, Austria.

hope that clears some stuff up

-trips

ps. im a long tme board reader but this was my first post :o

one more question!...

Is Red Bull actually Thai??

Krating Dang is Thai but Red Bull was founded by Dietrich Mateschitz...???

Kind of. The Red Bull corporation is Austrian, however the recipe is Thai. Dietrich Mateschitz traveled to thailand and discovered the drink, he then made some minor adjustments before he branded it his own. The headquarters of the Red Bull corp, which still is a privately owned company, are located in Fuschl am See, Austria.

hope that clears some stuff up

-trips

ps. im a long tme board reader but this was my first post :D

:o:D

bTW

Thaivisa.com Top brand

Edited by kayo

Tim

Maizefarmer, I believe the OP was asking for local brands:

Can you clarify what you mean buy local brand - do you mean brands/products that are exclusive to Thailand and/or are written in Thai - because in that case their are consumer products the average farang would never realise were significant brand names unless he lived here or could speak/read Thai.

Whats got me here is that I have always considered TOYOTA to be local - and so do most Thai's after all Thailand is Toyota's largest manufactring plant in the world (as far as pick ups go that is).

So what do mean by Thai (brandname)?

Tim

Then you think wrong.

Some brands created locally here in Thailand might be well known domestically in Thailand, others might be well known internationally. Those are not 'one and the same' thing.

Reading this topic , i find that the top 10 brand in thai is listed in thepoint of NON thai .

you should try more local thinking then thsoe you see at bar or what you ate at a resturant .

to state a few ( i hope i spell or least make it sound alike .

1. Sum Mae kuwa ( the local brand of can food and seasoning with 3 lady on it ( sardine fish eg. )

2. Milo . ( coco drink - many people grow up drinking it )

3. oishi green tea ( famous from the 1 million bath lucky draw it conducted )

4. Mama ( everybody ate it before if yu had not you should try is a cheap alt )

5.ka ra bow dang ( the country folk song singer who sell energy drink like redbull . )

( local cocktail " very famous " " Lao cow ka ra bow dang " rice wine with energy drink - everyone thai know but is a very dangerous mixture that make you really high )

6. the usual car brand is commonly know . like Toyota , honda , benz , BMW .

but .. " VIGO " is doing well and people call iI VIGO instead of it brand ,

7. Siang purd yu ( thai medicine oil - the one with a old man . and funny commercial on movie . of chinese kungfu )

8. Ya PARA ( paracetomol )

9 . FISHO ( dry fish snack )

10. LAY Chip

wanted to list more . but this are amount the major household name .

i can figure upon ask anyone . - Is not in ORDER . just random ranking may defer with diffrent person

Then you think wrong.

Some brands created locally here in Thailand might be well known domestically in Thailand, others might be well known internationally. Those are not 'one and the same' thing.

Subtle as a sledgehammer and as well-mannered as usual.

Thank you for the marketing lesson, though quite unnecessary - the OP asked:

IN Thailand. Does that suggest in Buttram, Oregon to you?

And they are one and the same thing. A brand is a brand, unless you are chaging the face of advertising. That certain brands are better known outside their on country than insiede or vice versa is fairly clear and logical and has notbhing to do with Thailand as such, it is the case in every country that produces their own goods.

Not quite sure why you are so confrontational, but it must feel good the be to sure about yourself and your opinions and thoughts.

Possibly you can feel that way as well one day.

top 10 LOCAL brands IN Thailand

Careful, JD, he will point his gun at you and tell you in no uncertain terms that:

Then you think wrong