The sanuk has left Pattaya.

thaibeachlovers

Arrived on my semi annual visit to Pattaya and wished I hadn't. The place sucks big time now.

While the infrastructure is either the same, or being replaced by even larger buildings, the roads are still too small for the increased numbers of vehicles, and they have been taken over by a particularly thuggish brand of moron that insists on driving too fast. That includes the cretin farang that drove at about 100 kph down Buakhao on a big m'bike. Even a small m'bike is dangerous, but a big one will kill you for sure.

I have taken loads of photos of the broken infrastructure which I'll post when I have time later, but in many cases it is the same broken pavements as 20 years ago.

Pattaya is no longer a cheap and cheerful c***hole which it used to be, it's now an expensive and unfriendly c***hole, taken over by the dark forces of greedy developers, that only want to make as much money as possible before the place implodes under the weight of it's own stupidity.

I think the message is getting out, as, even for a low season, there are very few punters in the bars after midnight. More men seem interested in footie on tv than in girlie bars.

As for the bargirls, the lady boys seem to be desperate and quite vicious now, certainly not a way to get customers, while there are a lot of ladies for rent walking around as though they are something special, because they can get a chav football hooligan to pay them instead of an old fat man, and there are a LOT of chavs around. I guess the dole pays well in the UK now.

The worst thing now is the price of food in the tourist areas. Calling it price gouging is too kind. Charging 200 baht for a meal worth 50 is blatant theft.

Surprisingly, accommodation prices are stable and even going down, which supports my supposition that less punters are arriving.

Even the Pattaya tv service isn't as good as it used to be. No English Al Jazira anymore. Never thought I'd say this, but WETV is better than Pattaya tv now.

Finally, there are a lot of mugs in Pattaya. I heard one chav being told by his temporary GF of the night to pay the m'bike taxi 100 baht, which he meekly did, LOL.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1000 st- aaaargggghhhhh.

Sorry, can't discuss prices in the past as against forum rules, but it certainly was more user friendly 20 years ago. I don't rent bgs anymore so don't know current trends.

Positive- haven't been on a baht bus yet, but I think they are still 10 baht- same as 20 years ago. Still too many of them on the road though, so must make a profit.

The girls are still just as attractive- lots of DDG girls around.

My hotel is still 450 baht and seen lots at 400 to 500, same as 10 years ago. Restaurants are in the "treat" category now, but there's always 7 11 pot noodles for meals.

You're free to go, no one will miss you.

I have only one thing to complain btw, too many ugly hookers in low season sad.png

I'm gone and I won't miss it anymore. The 25 year love affair I had with Pattaya is soooooo over.

If you can't find good looking women in Pattaya you don't get out much, low season or not.

I have only one thing to complain btw, too many ugly hookers in low season sad.png

I'm gone and I won't miss it anymore. The 25 year love affair I had with Pattaya is soooooo over.

If you can't find good looking women in Pattaya you don't get out much, low season or not.

Sorry, I didn't know bar boys were referred to as hookers.

Nothing new in not so good looking bar girls. Even 15 years ago I could walk from walking street to Naklua on both Beach and Second roads and not see a single girl I thought attractive. The Gogos always had the best looking ladies.

I think its a VERY GRAND IDEA that you never come back.

I have been here 10 years and very little has changed, its easy to pick on all the bad things, but you don't mention the good ones. And if your paying 200baht for a meal , you did that by choice, many places around you get a great full western meal for 159 baht. Yes it is low season, its this slow every year, the only people arriving now are the Chinese and once the European countries start to get cold all those folks will return as they always do and the place will be packed out and the room prices will go up. If you expected dramatic change in a 3rd world country...forget about it. As for the people her there are good and bad just as anyplace.Spend your next holiday at home!!!!!

I have been here 10 years and very little has changed, its easy to pick on all the bad things, but you don't mention the good ones. And if your paying 200baht for a meal , you did that by choice, many places around you get a great full western meal for 159 baht. Yes it is low season, its this slow every year, the only people arriving now are the Chinese and once the European countries start to get cold all those folks will return as they always do and the place will be packed out and the room prices will go up. If you expected dramatic change in a 3rd world country...forget about it. As for the people her there are good and bad just as anyplace.Spend your next holiday at home!!!!!

Pls mention the good changes.

1. Traffic?

2. Crime?

3. Cost of living?

4. Drug problems?

Anymore?

You didnt mention any good ones but you certainly add to the unfriendliness of Pattaya. 555

Please tell me, no one is refusing me in case that's what you think.

Not exactly sure what you mean with 'compromise' but I've already had sex with them, most of the time more than once, I'm a butterfly so I like change!

And yes I'm quite picky, unless I'm drunk.

Of course they are not refusing.

By compromise I meant exactly that - a butterfly should not degrade himself by going with same hookup third time or god knows how many times. Trick is to look for friends online, go go bars are very 2006. Online much nicer people!

And don't you find gogo bars depressing?

Well I'm gay so let's count:

- approx 80 gay bars in Pattaya with average 10 boys/bar = 800 moneyboys
- I only consider about 5% attractive so that's 40 boys left
- half is back to Isaan so that's 20 left
- been into a (short) relationship with about 10 of them so 10 left
- those remaining 10 I've mostly done multiple times already

So we need fresh meat on the table - eg wait till high season.

Sure if I start drinking early and visit a dozen bars or so I always find someone by the end buy my vision is quite blurred by then.

Sorry, I didn't know bar boys were referred to as hookers.
Nothing new in not so good looking bar girls. Even 15 years ago I could walk from walking street to Naklua on both Beach and Second roads and not see a single girl I thought attractive. The Gogos always had the best looking ladies.

Hooker = prostitute = money boy, but yeah guess it's more often associated with females.

I guess it also has to do with personal taste whether you're attracted to a bar girl or a gogo girl, plus in the gogo you also get to see their body so even if they are not too good looking it does provide bonus points. Personally I find the gogo boys a bit too slutty (yes that's the right word) while the cute boys working in the bar appear more natural to me.

Lately I came from Wong Amat beach, had a few beers on the beach and drove back to Jomtien, however I had to visit a toilet so I stopped at a ladybar on beach road and ordered a drink out of politeness of using the toilet so to say, and man those ladies were ugly, my god, so I definitely understand your point. Two of them were 40+ and looking like 40+, one in her mid-30's and can't imagine anyone would pay for her, and one more in her twenties but definitely not attractive either, I can be gay but I'm definitely not blind.

So Dennis 123

Drinking and driving !!!

I think that there are enough accidents here"........caused by the "Crazy Thai road users".....without you adding to the mayhem

I just hope that you don't kill a child or a "good person".

Before you kill yourself Edited by Rimmer

1000 st- aaaargggghhhhh.

Sorry, can't discuss prices in the past as against forum rules, but it certainly was more user friendly 20 years ago. I don't rent bgs anymore so don't know current trends.

Positive- haven't been on a baht bus yet, but I think they are still 10 baht- same as 20 years ago. Still too many of them on the road though, so must make a profit.

My hotel is still 450 baht and seen lots at 400 to 500, same as 10 years ago. Restaurants are in the "treat" category now, but there's always 7 11 pot noodles for meals.

At that price probably the same mattress as 10 years ago too.

I dread to think what you might be sleeping on. sick.gif

So Dennis 123

Drinking and driving !!!

I think that there are enough accidents here"........caused by the "Crazy Thai road users".....without you adding to the mayhem

Before you kill yourself

Imo there are 2 type of drunk drivers:

1) The careless reckless driver that has no fear due to the alcohol and as a result of that drives as fast as possible to get to his destination.

2) The careful driver that is aware that he's drunk and thus drives even more careful than usual as he realizes that if someone else makes a mistake that he can pay for it in case of an breath test.

I've been the careless reckless driver in the past in a few occasions but I learned my lesson, didnt'cause any fatal accidents but once it was incredibly close and that scared the shit out of me.

So Dennis 123

Drinking and driving !!!

Before you kill yourself

1) The careless reckless driver that has no fear due to the alcohol and as a result of that drives as fast as possible to get to his destination.

2) The careful driver that is aware that he's drunk and thus drives even more careful than usual as he realizes that if someone else makes a mistake that he can pay for it in case of an breath test.

I've been the careless reckless driver in the past in a few occasions but I learned my lesson, didnt'cause any fatal accidents but once it was incredibly close and that scared the shit out of me.

Yup and both potential killers who should be removed from driving for a very long time!

I never frequent gogo bars much really so if I go there in the rare occasion I have maybe 1 or 2 drinks and if I take someone off I take him to a beer bar or to watch some show. Gogo bars don't really depress me but this is Thailand, it's never cold, so why sit inside in a closed somewhat narrow room.

Online dating has disappointed me quite a few times really, once I had someone come directly to my house as I was horny and didn't want to go to x number of bars to find someone, and browsed through my phone for numbers but too much of the same, So he came, and my god, looked like some freaking HIV patient, while he looked great on the photos on his profile so obvious I send him away. Likely photos from 5-10 years before or something, so online you never know what to expect, I don't really like those suprises.

So yes there are definitely options open! smile.png

Yup, online dating is tricky sometimes, but at least I have not yet been traumatized by some guy having titties, that would definitely scare me away! Most online guys lie little bit, but you can tell who does. I like online thing a bit better than gogo bars mainly cos I don't like gogo bars at all, not even sure why.. they guys there just look desperate, so eager and willing looking that I walk out. No fun. Same guy after 1 AM eating around Tukcom feels much better, maybe cos it feels like we are on equal standing outside.

But the Thai karaoke places I've always wondered about, never been inside. I know they must be ton of fun, sometimes I stop outside, sit on sidewalk and just observe, but something is stopping me going in. Feels like it's their place, their territory, and not a a place for white guy, so I envy you. I know Isaan guys, and sometimes drink together outside, always fun.

And the little slut on the island! Man, I would have left him there with his Cambodian, check out of hotel quietly, block tel number and Line, check into next hotel, take a boat in the morning! Next time he knows how to treat a lady, damn it!

So Dennis 123

Drinking and driving !!!

Before you kill yourself

Dennis

I think that is termed as "Being in denial"

I imagine that you also thought 1,000 Baht short time was pang!

Were there no positives to report....... from your perspective.

You mean 1000 baht st isn't peng ?

Blimey ....... I had forgotten how long it is since I was last down there ...... must be years ! How time fly's !

Luckily it's still only 500 baht in non tourist areas so no need to panic just yet.

So Dennis 123

Drinking and driving !!!

Before you kill yourself

Yup and both potential killers who should be removed from driving for a very long time!

Yeah you're right, they should lock me up, next time when I see police I will volunteerly turn myself in to prevent the worst from happening.

So Dennis 123

Drinking and driving !!!

Before you kill yourself

2) The careful driver that is aware that he's drunk and thus drives even more careful than usual cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I used to visit Pattaya regularly between 1998 and 2001, before I was married, it was a great party place. Loads of sexy ladies at every turn.

Glad I don't have to chase bg's now.

Had a great time back then though.

When not working away from home (home being Thailand) I have found far greater happiness being surrounded by and integrated into my wife's family and the community further up North (fringe of Korat).

Edited by soihok

1000 st- aaaargggghhhhh.

Comparing Pattaya now to 20 or even 10 years ago, of course prices have increased, I think you may have a heart attack if you went to Phuket or Samui and see the cost of living there now. Buakao offers cheap eating and drinking places with ease of access to everywhere. Infastructure, well most of Thailand you will see reclaimed wiring and broken pavements but don't forgot what has improved especially with the current Sukhumvit works going on.

What good ones? Nothing has improved and many worse things have happened, like destroying the only green park at bali Hi to build a stupid car park, building that horrible hi rise in front of the lookout, the revolting beach walkway that is already falling apart ( when there was a better one before ) and the traffic is far worse than ever before. Never been nearly maimed so many times in one day by moron drivers that speed down sois without pavements.

I mentioned the meal prices to illustrate the price gouging, not because I paid that much. It's not like they are nice restaurants like The Dukes- just the average non AC hole in the wall restaurant, but because it's Pattaya they elevate the prices as much as possible. Even the cinema raises the prices on the weekend when all the Bkk crowd arrives.

Oh well, you carry on being happy with the traffic and the prices, though I suspect you rent long term ( still cheap in Pattaya ) and don't eat in restaurants much.

BTW, in the past ( before your time ) there were always a lot of mongers in Pattaya, regardless of time of year. Not so much now.

1000 st- aaaargggghhhhh.

Comparing Pattaya now to 20 or even 10 years ago, of course prices have increased, I think you may have a heart attack if you went to Phuket or Samui and see the cost of living there now. Buakao offers cheap eating and drinking places with ease of access to everywhere. Infastructure, well most of Thailand you will see reclaimed wiring and broken pavements but don't forgot what has improved especially with the current Sukhumvit works going on.

Yes, but most of Thailand doesn't claim to be a major tourist destination.

That is the reason I don't go to Phuket or Samui for 15 years now. Pattaya was always the exception though- not now.

What are you looking for, Title is "Sanuk has gone"..I am married and havnt drunk in years but last weekend a friend was visiting, we used the baht bus which is cheap and convenient, went to bars where it was 40/50 baht a beer/whiskey...in fact I was paying more for my soda water than him for alcohol, played pool for free, had some laughs with ladies and various hawkers trying to sell their wares, had food which was just over 100 baht each...my friend also arranged company for the evening after I went home which seems to be the same price and service as 15 years ago....in all we had a good time...what are you looking for???..traffic of course has increased dramatically but the fun is still here.

What are you looking for, Title is "Sanuk has gone"..I am married and havnt drunk in years but last weekend a friend was visiting, we used the baht bus which is cheap and convenient, went to bars where it was 40/50 baht a beer/whiskey...in fact I was paying more for my soda water than him for alcohol, played pool for free, had some laughs with ladies and various hawkers trying to sell their wares, had food which was just over 100 baht each...my friend also arranged company for the evening after I went home which seems to be the same price and service as 15 years ago....in all we had a good time...what are you looking for???..traffic of course has increased dramatically but the fun is still here.

Quote from thaizer.com which explains it quite well, IMO.

But sanuk is more than having fun; it’s about striving to achieve satisfaction and pleasure from whatever you do.

I found it very hard to enjoy myself when I was constantly being at danger of being maimed by cretin maniacs racing m'bikes down the road, and many roads don't have pavements. Before it wasn't so bad, as the traffic moved slower.

The prices now don't help if on a budget, while before everything was cheap.

Overall, Pattaya seems to be all about money now- that's all they care about. Nice park at bali Hi- dig it up and build a stupid car park.

Nice walkway along the beach- dig it up and replace it with a horrible shadeless badly built pavement and minimal seating.

Widen beach road so the traffic goes too fast to cross safely and don't make the pedestrian lights work, so people are in fear for their life just to cross the road.

Build stupid marinas, but still let the speedboats destroy the walkway to the Lighthouse.

Pavements never fixed for 20 years, while allowing lots of new buildings to destroy the vista, like that ghastly thing in front of the lookout. I could go on and on. but what would be the use.

The city council is never going to fix anything, for the usual reason, so if one doesn't like it, don't go anymore, which is my plan.

This thread was never for those that that think Pattaya is OK now, it is for those that stopped going, or can't go anymore, to let them know what it's like now.

This thread is about the OP's inability to accept that he is getting old.

Which admittedly aint a great problem but probably has more mileage and less 'eeeewww factor' than dennis's bum bandit escapades.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif That's so British.1970 ish

Bit naughty but still a funny phrase thumbsup.gif

Edited by onemorechang

This thread is about the OP's inability to accept that he is getting old.

Which admittedly aint a great problem but probably has more mileage and less 'eeeewww factor' than dennis's bum bandit escapades.

I would agree with that. It seem sthe OP has stood still and expects Pattaya to do the same.

The clock cannot be turned back and somewhere as dynamic as Pattaya will constantly change - some for the good, some not so.

I can understand that Pattaya has lost it's sanookness for the OP, I also think it is less happy go lucky than it was 10 years ago. That said, Pattaya still has something for everybody - you just need to pick out the bits you like.

The comments about prices are unrealistic and only a fool would expect them to have remained the same. As others have pointed out, you can still eat and drink cheaply if you wish - food and drink is generally cheaper in Pattaya than in my part of rural Thailand. The amenities are much better in Pattaya - the traffic is much worse.