Motorbike loop over the whole Thailand (40 days)

djgeneral

You could buy a decent second hand bike for 15k - but it will be a bit of a song and dance to get it in your name.

Like you say, time is of the essence, you don't speak Thai (?), your unsure if the necessary paperwork and how to get it and you could be left with a bike that you can't sell.

Have you checked gt-rider yet ? mr mechanic in CM will rent you a bike for 250b a day ( with insurance ) that leaves you 2000b for daily expenses.

I'm not too sure if you can just take it out of the locality, ( which is why I think to offer a stress free rental service ) maybe you need to talk to the owner.

Edited by recom273

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What benefits ? I found when I rented a Minsk in Vietnam and rode a wave around Laos was the luggage, if you have your own bike you can do some modification, I found strapping bags to the seat a bit of a chore.

Other than that, no real benefit to owning - other than piece of mind knowing that it's 100% safe and reliable.

Tbh cant quite remember exactly how much but i'm sure you can do significantly better than 250 a day 3000 bht a month springs to mind. But if you look up the thai boxing, lanna gym in chang mai, theres an english guy called Robin runs a bike hire service right next door. Got a lot of bikes and is always helpful.

rijit

Tbh cant quite remember exactly how much but i'm sure you can do significantly better than 250 a day 3000 bht a month springs to mind. But if you look up the thai boxing, lanna gym in chang mai, theres an english guy called Robin runs a bike hire service right next door. Got a lot of bikes and is always helpful.

rijit

Me too .. I forget, it's been so long since I hired a bike.

But we should also bear in mind, that a visitor from outside the country maybe rather concerned about insurance cover. This is why I suggested Mr.mechanic, who claims to offer some cover - for 100b a day, I doubt very much you would get any insurance cover.

When you live here, insurance for a rental scooter becomes less important as we know the system slightly better.

I think the biggest hurdle would be finding someone to rent the OP a scooter to use out of the local vicinity. A rental guy can happily rent his scooter to a teacher for 3000b/month knowing it will spend all day parked up.

But I don't need to tell the rental guy that I'll do roundtrip around the country, right? He can think that I'll be staying in the province rolleyes.gif .

Hmmmm... I think this type of Thai .... would smile at your mileage....kilo returns..

I would prefer to rent a motorbike.

If I buy it:

1. Is it legal? Do I need to do some paperwork?
  2. I takes probably more time to buy/sell it than to rent it. I can imagine that I'll take me a few days until I find a buyer.
  3. ~30k baht is a lot of money for my budget

I want to do this trip for 100 000 baht. Hopefully that's possible.

What advantages does buying a motorbike have?

Unless you are a big drinker and/or dreadful womaniser I would have thought 100k baht is plenty:-

1. Something like a Wave will do 200mpg, so 150 baht/day for fuel = 6,000, with a few oil changes bits and pieces = 10,000 baht

2. 40 hotels at average 400baht/night = 16,000 baht:

3. Food 500baht/day = 20,000 baht

4. (bike rental or) Wave purchase with insurance at 16,000/baht

Total 62,000 realistically.

That leaves you 38,000 baht for beer and tarts.

Go easy on all 3............

Keep in touch with the guys on this forum, if it a runner with a book, someone will give you 8-10k baht for it.

Edited by AllanB

You don't need a big bike. I have ridden 110cc airblades two up at 90-100 kph and actually stayed in front of much bigger bikes. You are limited in Thailand mainly by traffic, weather and road conditions more than displacement. Buy an auto scooter maybe an airblade or 125cc click or nouvo in good shape and put the same size tire on the front as the back. Change out the headlights and put brighter ones inside. It's all you need and for a price of 15k-25k then sell when you are finished. Have fun.

Edited by losworld

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1441954459790.jpg

Forget about what the others say..

Exactly, do that if you like to suffer! tongue.png

Bought on Monday a second hand Thai produced Honda CB650F and drove her from Sukhumvit Bangkok on the Highway route to Udon Thani/Sakhon Nakhon, about 600 km.

Can say, I felt some times under powered even on that bike. Rain slowed my trip, had a good night in Khon Kaen's number 1 the Pullman. thumbsup.gif

11986500_938764046161888_490880659952445

Edited by ALFREDO

I would prefer to rent a motorbike.

If I buy it:

• Is it legal? Do I need to do some paperwork?
  • I takes probably more time to buy/sell it than to rent it. I can imagine that I'll take me a few days until I find a buyer.
  • ~30k baht is a lot of money for my budget
I want to do this trip for 100 000 baht. Hopefully that's possible.

What advantages does buying a motorbike have?

If u plan to leave thailand after than few, not sure on the resale value but its gona be new machine which from my ex of hire bikes esp for long drives is defo

A consideration

rijit

Your reply is in Welch?

Trouble is with bikes and men it brings the unpleasant competative side out and they lose rationality, oh cant be slowest, oh your gonna get bullied,so frigging what, all signs of personal male insecurity . Not that they see it of coarse.biggrin.png next up it'll be oh the large engine saved my life , not it helped me get in trouble.

The trouble is - if you have no self-control and (possibly) also no good enough driving skills are insecure,

it is really better you stay with a small scooter. tongue.png

First thing what come into my mind, when I read your sentences,

was that comparison,

= how women in Muslim religion and style have to dress, -unobtrusively- so the insecure Muslim men who cannot control themselves are not getting -sexually aroused-.=

Good that we Westerners can behave right and control ourselves with sexy dressed women (In EU, USA and TH ect.) and also with a bit more powerful motorbikes.

We do not need to be restricted by small engines and not by black dresses, masked faces or Burkas.

biggrin.png

Trouble is with bikes and men it brings the unpleasant competative side out and they lose rationality, oh cant be slowest, oh your gonna get bullied,so frigging what, all signs of personal male insecurity . Not that they see it of coarse.biggrin.png next up it'll be oh the large engine saved my life , not it helped me get in trouble.

The trouble is - if you have no self-control and (possibly) also no good enough driving skills are insecure,

was that comparison,

= how women in Muslim religion and style have to dress, -unobtrusively- so the insecure Muslim men who cannot control themselves are not getting -sexually aroused-.=

Good that we Westerners can behave right and control ourselves with sexy dressed women (In EU, USA and TH ect.) and also with a bit more powerful motorbikes.

We do not need to be restricted by small engines and not by black dresses, masked faces or Burkas.

biggrin.png

Usually people who brag about something, such as their biking prowess, are the insecure ones, skilled riders just ride.

If you think all westerners behave themselves you are very much mistaken, as for your stupid remarks about Muslims.....take it elsewhere. This is a bikers forum.

You don't need a big bike. I have ridden 110cc airblades two up at 90-100 kph and actually stayed in front of much bigger bikes. You are limited in Thailand mainly by traffic, weather and road conditions more than displacement. Buy an auto scooter maybe an airblade or 125cc click or nouvo in good shape and put the same size tire on the front as the back. Change out the headlights and put brighter ones inside. It's all you need and for a price of 15k-25k then sell when you are finished. Have fun.

Sounds like that is possibly the silliest thing one could contemplate doing in Thailand,I see no fun only a tired arse and hurting legs.

I could imagine waking up thinking oh no not another couple of hundred kms on that heap of pony.

Sounds like that is possibly the silliest thing one could contemplate doing in Thailand,I see no fun only a tired arse and hurting legs.

I could imagine waking up thinking oh no not another couple of hundred kms on that heap of pony.

Actually I get more tired on my big bike than the Wave, the lower speeds are relaxing, but that's just me. Don't knock until you have tried it

A lot of Thais travel long distances on the small bikes too.

Heap of pony? Na!

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1441954459790.jpg

Forget about what the others say

Exactly, do that if you like to suffer! tongue.png

Bought on Monday a second hand Thai produced Honda CB650F and drove her from Sukhumvit Bangkok on the Highway route to Udon Thani/Sakhon Nakhon, about 600 km.

Can say, I felt some times under powered even on that bike. Rain slowed my trip, had a good night in Khon Kaen's number 1 the Pullman. thumbsup.gif

11986500_938764046161888_490880659952445

you had trouble achieving the posted speed limit?

was that comparison,

biggrin.png

Usually people who brag about something, such as their biking prowess, are the insecure ones, skilled riders just ride.

If you think all westerners behave themselves you are very much mistaken, as for your stupid remarks about Muslims.....take it elsewhere. This is a bikers forum.

Where did I glorify bragging? blink.png

BUT, I do not need to have no power under my ass, to keep me from abusing the power if I had some. rolleyes.gif

"Stupid remarks"? - A bikers forum yes, but, I believe I brought up a very good comparison!

Possibly, your Intellectual skills cannot recognize this.tongue.png

By the way, do not hand out muzzle here without authority. coffee1.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

you had trouble achieving the posted speed limit?

There is a -speed limit- in Thailand? wink.png

Could not recognize that, seeing how the Thai drivers drove

Seemed more as a competition to drive as fast as their Ego pushed them. wink.png

Those rectangular things by the road.

I.e., 90kph.

Ya, you need a liter bike, sure.

was that comparison,

biggrin.png

Where did I glorify bragging? blink.png

BUT, I do not need to have no power under my ass, to keep me from abusing the power if I had some. rolleyes.gif

"Stupid remarks"? - A bikers forum yes, but, I believe I brought up a very good comparison!

Possibly, your Intellectual skills cannot recognize this.tongue.png

By the way, do not hand out muzzle here without authority. coffee1.gif

it is really better you stay with a small scooter. That sounds like bragging to me, that if we don't have the same driving skills as you,, we should only ride small scooters. ...and now you consider yourself an intellectual...mmmmm.. interesting delusion.

No idea what the rest of the stuff is about, ... other than don't believe everything you read in the papers.

Edited by AllanB

Intellectually handicapped with that comparison

"Intellectually handicapped"
Possibly you, as you are, regarding to your Thai Visa Profile, 100+ years old. Born 1 Jan, 1915 ! tongue.png
So, I have to be lenient as you are very old thumbsup.gif
I know, from some of your previous postings,
that you are no nice guy , now, I know it for sure.
=On your future motorbike trips, I wish you Piston seizure and chain crack-tear and a lot of flat tires.= coffee1.gif

Motorbike forum has never been worse than it is now, the scooter crowd are taking over and not many big bike posters anymore and the bitching now is really bad.

Sad man, it used to be such a nice forum where everybody would respect each other (mostly) and their choice of bike.

Don't get me wrong, I also rides scooters but nothing beats a bigger bike for safety.

Well many of the old veterans have now moved over to a dedicated bike forum for Thailand and it's very good. A few scooter topics as well but most real bikes.

Adios amigos and keep the rubber side down no mater what you ride.

Motorbike forum has never been worse than it is now, the scooter crowd are taking over and not many big bike posters anymore and the bitching now is really bad.

Sad man, it used to be such a nice forum where everybody would respect each other (mostly) and their choice of bike.

Don't get me wrong, I also rides scooters but nothing beats a bigger bike for safety.

Well many of the old veterans have now moved over to a dedicated bike forum for Thailand and it's very good. A few scooter topics as well but most real bikes.

I too ride both, though I wouldn't say that the scooter crowd have taken over, but there is a whole lot of people who have nothing better to do all day but whinge. And often whinge about topics they have no interest in at all.

This particular thread is about riding a scooter all over Thailand, a noble feat IMO, but mention the word "scooter" and a few of the big bike boys just have to have their "mine is bigger than yours" say.

Find another thread lads, or have another beer and chill out and read, you may learn something. With a little inspiration for others, my best time ever on a bike was on a beat up Wave in Vietnam and a few other Top Gear copycats I met, said the same. This particular trip sounds like a good-un.

I personally like the topic balance here.

Edited by AllanB

Nice to see that nothing has changed much on this forum. The usual suspects with the usual pot shots at each other, hahahaha.

To the OP- there are plenty of places to rent all sorts of bikes and usually, not a problem to take it out of province etc. You wrote that you're an experienced rider. If so, my suggestion would be to rent a dual sport bike such as the Versys rather than a scooter.

Of course it's possible to ride a scooter all over Thailand. Ed March rode (or is riding) a C90 around the world. However, there will be certain (many) roads on your travel that you would wish for a higher displacement bike. Riding the curves up North on a scooter is not half as much fun as on a bigger bike. Also, from a safety perspective, my opinion is that having power in reserve can really save your life, especially on the highways

OMG!

Scooter guys are taking over!

BTW, that other bike forum is boring as <deleted>.

Where can i learn to ride a big bike? Do people give lessons? No one ever taught me even though i come from a family of harley enthusiasts

Start with a small motorbike in size, weight and power and drive slowly and then move up the ladder of power and size and weight and some more speed.

For some advice and help, look in the Internet for some theory too.

And practice, practice. practice - just drive a lot on curvy roads.. thumbsup.gif