Does current state of traffic and driving in Chiang Mai restrict your daily activities?

LarryBird

those monster trucks, and Fortuner SUV things, should be outlawed in the soi. go back to alabama, smith.[/quote

Totally agree about the trucks and large SUVs.

Otherwise, to answer OP's topic question: NO!

Traffic and the weather, traffic and the weather!! Bytch! Bytch! Bytch!

those monster trucks, and Fortuner SUV things, should be outlawed in the soi. go back to alabama, smith.

Again, and a little more seriously, there are no monster trucks in Thailand. There are mid-size working guy pick-ups, and most of those also come in models that are a bit taller and/or have 4WD. Those models don't take up any more space though than the standard ones, other than vertically (height) which doesn't matter.

And then the SUVs based on those like the Fortuner/Tralblazer/Everest etc. take up even less space; they're a bit shorter than the pick-up truck on which they are based. (Like with the pick-up trucks, there are not full size SUVs in Thailand either)

They're also very versatile and fuel efficient.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Everyone said, "Live in CM....It is so cheap. Cheap, and mountains...."

well, this is what happens.

it will get 100x worse.

25 million visit Thailand each year....CM is on the list of cities to visit...

and all cheap backpackers searching online choose CM

doomed...

i live 77.3493 km from the old city......i haven't seen farang in 11 months!!!!

but there was a chinese tourist the other day yelling, "tour bus comes here next!!!"

Thailand is the world's largest market for mid-sized trucks (USA being the largest market full full-sized trucks)- their utility and the fact tax advantages make them cheaper means we'll always see a lot of them here.

I actually don't find the traffic that bad- sure, there are bad spots and busy times-of-day, but in general I don't have too many complaints about traffic congestion.

Now complaints about crappy drivers... I've got a few of those.;)

I drive through the city every day. Simply not a problem. Yes, there is traffic congestion in many areas, but once you know where and when they are, they are easy to avoid. There's more than one road leading to Rome...

I often need to go across the Superhighway at Chiang Puak/Chottana Rd intersection. Were I to try driving north up Chiang Puak Road I'd get stuck in traffic most of the time. Instead, I drive up the smaller streets in Santithem parallel to it, all the way to the last street before the traffic lights. Never have a problem. The same is true driving across or around the Old City. If you know where and when to use which streets, driving is no problem... unless you're driving a large SUV, of course. But SUV's are really for suburban living anyway, and not designed for small city streets.

Another pathetic lie from you as you have specifically said you avoid driving in certain parts of town at different times of the day. Showing your true colors.

LOL.. forgot your medication? smile.png Not only has he said that before, he's even saying same in the very post you quote.

(He drives through the city every day, but avoids certain trouble spots and specific times.)

Why are you so angry? You're the topic starter, and asked a question. He bothered to answer it and you go completely off the rails now?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I drive through the city every day. Simply not a problem. Yes, there is traffic congestion in many areas, but once you know where and when they are, they are easy to avoid. There's more than one road leading to Rome...

I often need to go across the Superhighway at Chiang Puak/Chottana Rd intersection. Were I to try driving north up Chiang Puak Road I'd get stuck in traffic most of the time. Instead, I drive up the smaller streets in Santithem parallel to it, all the way to the last street before the traffic lights. Never have a problem. The same is true driving across or around the Old City. If you know where and when to use which streets, driving is no problem... unless you're driving a large SUV, of course. But SUV's are really for suburban living anyway, and not designed for small city streets.

Another pathetic lie from you as you have specifically said you avoid driving in certain parts of town at different times of the day. Showing your true colors.

LOL.. forgot your medication? smile.png Not only has he said that before, he's even saying same in the very post you quote.

(He drives through the city every day, but avoids certain trouble spots and specific times.)

Why are you so angry? You're the topic starter, and asked a question. He bothered to answer it and you go completely off the rails now?

.. and, as I said, it's not a problem. Neither is he. :) (You may notice that his actions remind you of a rejected suitor... )

Driving is a situation that needs to be dealt with by using different streets at different times. This doesn't stop me from driving into the Old City virtually every day of the week. I don't 'enjoy' driving in the city at night, but I won't let it affect my plans. It's simply not a problem.

Nothing contradictory at all. Driving in the city isn't a problem for me. It doesn't change any of my daily plans, which was your original post, right?

And as I stated in that quoted post, my hat's off to all drivers here

And I compliment you for keeping copies of all my posts. It's flattering, but I still won't have sex with you.

The solution to the Nimman problem is simple. Live here. I can walk to 100 restaurants in 5 minutes, every kind of food you want. Song Taews are everywhere. I mainly only drive to the golf courses - sure I occasionally need to take an extra 10-15 minutes to get back home, but that time is saved 10-fold by the convenience of living here.

We moved the the Outer Ring Road (121), just north of 1006 about 7 years ago. At that time there were only 3 other moo bans within 5 kilometers of us, and everything was rice paddies. Now there are at leas 5 new moo bans, 7-11's, major home improvement stores, paint stores, and everything else you can think of. On top of that 121 is a total mess during rush hour. I've sat in the entrance of my project waiting 15 minutes or more just to get out.

Everyone said, "Live in CM....It is so cheap. Cheap, and mountains...."

well, this is what happens.

it will get 100x worse.

25 million visit Thailand each year....CM is on the list of cities to visit...

and all cheap backpackers searching online choose CM

doomed...

i live 77.3493 km from the old city......i haven't seen farang in 11 months!!!!

but there was a chinese tourist the other day yelling, "tour bus comes here next!!!"

Good old Thai Visa. There is another thread going

claiming back packers will quit coming to Chiang Mai

because the hours on alcohol serving business are

being enforced.

Nothing contradictory at all. Driving in the city isn't a problem for me. It doesn't change any of my daily plans, which was your original post, right?

And as I stated in that quoted post, my hat's off to all drivers here

And I compliment you for keeping copies of all my posts. It's flattering, but I still won't have sex with you.

It only changes your life to the point you won't own a car. What.A.Clown. No one reading this will ever give any credibility to your posts or opinions now.

Sorry, but we simply have no need of a car. For the once or twice a year that we want one, we rent. Ridiculous to own one just to keep it in the garage. We can, and do, walk most places in town, and drive a motorbike when we wish to.

Your question was "Does current state of traffic and driving in Chiang Mai restrict your daily activities?" My answer is 'no, it does not.'

If your reason for posting was to troll for arguments, I'm afraid you'll need to look elsewhere. I won't play into your pathology.

So because I don't own a car I am a clown?

NorthernJean,

Reread the posts. Folkguitar who considers himself so intelligent started a thread which in its introduction discusses the dreadful road conditions here stating he rides a motorcycle and only rents a car when he absolutely needs to, chimed in in this thread saying the traffic conditions are no.big.deal.

I guess we could call this a big loss of face for him. His whole point was to try and make himself look like the holier than thou "I have assimilated to this wonderful place" type of poster while losing any respect the few posters who didn't know how full of it he is.

As long as you're going to embarrass yourself in public like this, perhaps we can look at your original question again, something you seem to have forgotten. (I understand that you have problems...) It was "Does current state of traffic and driving in Chiang Mai restrict your daily activities?" I answered it quite clearly... twice... and now for the third time I'll answer it again with 'no, the current state of traffic and driving in Chiang Mai does NOT restrict my daily activities.' Did you get it this time?

If you wish to discuss my vehicle choice, call me names, research all of my posts (so you can 'like' them, so I get the notices, then remove the 'like' so no one else can see what you've done. That really IS pretty creepy, don't you think? Or visiting my profile once a week? Weird! ) please start a thread about that. If you don't like the answers you are getting in this thread, that's nobody's problem but yours.

Edited by FolkGuitar

The heavy road traffic is chiefly in the central parts of Chiang Mai, The C.M. road administration tries to

reduce this heavy traffic problem and are currently again creating several long "Road Tunnels" below the normal roads in some parts of Chiang Mai, in order to reduce the heavy traffic a bit.

Due to the current Road Tunnel buildings the traffic is heavily restricted in those areas and the drivers

to drive in different areas around he city and as a result some of those areas have a very heavy road traffic.

When those new Road Tunnels are completed then the heavy road traffics in C.M. will reduce a bit, but in any event the current road traffic in C.M. is not a major problem, and certainly not like in BKK.