British academic detained in Thailand after exposing official as plagiarist

webfact

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a school teacher here in Thailand at international school I had my own approach to plagiarism. As most of the work submitted to me was online it was easy for students to copy and of course even easier for me to spot in and check wherre it had come from. The trick is in how to deal with that. It is not in co frontation and punishment. It is in private contact and education that it is wrong. So I would contact the student quietly and tell them about the negative aspects of copying and suggest ways for them to avoid this and develop in the future. I hope many of my thousands of former pupils appreciated this approach. I also hope that teachers here will do what they can to lessen the amount of plagiarised homework in particular as it is so destructive but adopt the best approach in dealing with it.

For once I find myself in agreement with most outraged posters here. But of course it is the the approach that has cause the loss of face and the subsequent problems. However, far be it from me to say that someone who has worked on something for a year and then seen it plagiarised should not stick up for himself in the strongest possible terms.

How is exposing somebody who copied his work considered threatening Thai Society?

Quite easy to understand from a Thai p.o.v.

It's retaliation for causing loss of face and not showing krieng jai; a show of power and putting the farang in his place. This is an example where Western & Thai culture do not understand each other..

"General where are you" a poster cries, sorry to burst the bubble but the General is still well and truly in Thailand, a year and a half after the coup and all the talk of performing great deeds most of us are now very aware that there are no great deeds coming now or in the future.

I expected more from him however at the time I had not looked at the political history of the country.

Plagiarist and convicted criminal [Forgery of Ellis's contract of employment], loses libel actions that he, the plagiarist brought, and is convicted of criminality (forgery) - Massive loss of face.

Now his vindictive actions drag the face of the whole nation through the mire, a story spread across the international press.

Publicity campaigns trying to promote a message seldom are as successful.

Supachai Lorlowhakarn - you have shamed the nation.

Has his country any embassy in Bangkok?

He is British. The UK Embassy staff "... is unable to give you legal advice and therefore maintains a list of English speaking lawyers ...". The British media are his best chance of applying pressure.

BEWARE THERE ARE SOME CROOKS ON THAT EMBASSY LIST!

I had one of them removed (he touts for work on this website) "Ask the A??hole"

I heard that he has got back on using a different company.

Another nail in the coffin of Amazing Thailand. This case also exposes Chulalonkon University for almost condoning plagiarism by not investigating immediately.With cheating and corruption rife in Thailand I suppose they took it as normal practice. Thailand should recognise that they are losing face as a country when reports like this are read around the world.

He's not a threat to Thai security, he's just slapped the so-called National innovation agency (NIA)'s face, in court, now the vindictive nature of a few elite it seems has pulled a few strings and trying to get back at him for having the audacity to stand up for himself.

Now there's some innovation for ya.

Not just copy bags n billabongs.

Only half the story yet again, how about the independent finish the story and tell us what is going on.

Plagiarism is certainly an innovative way to write things.

Nothing worst than someone from a western country throwing their values onto another country and saying this is how it should be.

Western values are learnt by the corrupted corporations. That's why most of us come here to get away from it all. All you have to do is look at the behaviour of children in the west!

How is exposing somebody who copied his work considered threatening Thai Society?

Because plagiarism is a national past-time and exposing it threatens the entire excuse of so-called education, this of course translates into a threat.

Another nail in the coffin of Amazing Thailand. This case also exposes Chulalonkon University for almost condoning plagiarism by not investigating immediately.With cheating and corruption rife in Thailand I suppose they took it as normal practice. Thailand should recognise that they are losing face as a country when reports like this are read around the world.

'Facebook effect' coming, big time.

Nothing worst than someone from a western country throwing their values onto another country and saying this is how it should be.

Western values are learnt by the corrupted corporations. That's why most of us come here to get away from it all. All you have to do is look at the behaviour of children in the west!

Except when they are older is doesnt still hang around

Has his country any embassy in Bangkok?

He is British. The UK Embassy staff "... is unable to give you legal advice and therefore maintains a list of English speaking lawyers ...". The British media are his best chance of applying pressure.

BEWARE THERE ARE SOME CROOKS ON THAT EMBASSY LIST!

I had one of them removed (he touts for work on this website) "Ask the A??hole"

I heard that he has got back on using a different company.

Hence this disclaimer...

This list is provided by the Consular Section at the British Embassy in Bangkok for the convenience of enquirers,

but neither HM Government nor any official of the Consular Section takes responsibility for the professional ability

or integrity of the listed lawyers.

Edited by evadgib

On the TV news items you frequently see masses of students being presented with their graduation certificates. Considering some of the ways of higher education, I always have to wonder if those certificates are really worth anything at all. Think about that next time you visit your doctor.

Could you imagine if 10,000 foreigners showed up at the court house for the trial, everyday, equipped with smart phones. Strength in numbers is a two way street.

Well, the "strength in numbers" certainly worked, contributing to the bringing down of Yingluk's government. But that's because: 1. the numbers were 99.999% Thai, and 2. Prayut doesn't like the Shinawatra mob.

As for 10,000 foreigners, you'd be lucky to find 100 sober enough, in the vicinity, or at least willing to travel from not too far away. Then we could be arrested as 1. An unlawful gathering 2. A Risk to National Security, finding ourselves locked up with our British Academic. .. with no one left out there to march for us. Then the most you will get from any Thais aware of our situation would be: "Mai pen rai ! .... Mai pen rai !"