Somyot orders strengthening of immigration rules

webfact

BANGKOK BLAST
Somyot orders strengthening of immigration rules

BANGKOK: -- The national police chief on Monday ordered immigration police to intensify screening of foreigners coming and out following confirmed reports that suspects involving in the deadly bomb attack entered the country through Sa Kaew checkpoint.

Pol Gen Somyot Poompanmuang said on Monday that he made the order as it was found that foreign gangsters of human trafficking and criminals had exploited the negligence of the immigration officers and sneaked into the country to cause chaos and unrest.

He gave example of the bomb attack at the Erawan Shrine that killed 20 people, most of them were foreigners last month, saying investigation showed that the suspects entered the country via Sa Kaew border checkpoint.

"That's why I ordered the immediate transfer of the immigration police there to the headquarters, pending investigation. It will certainly be more transfer," Somyot said.

He was speaking after chairing a meeting of immigration police nationwide. Somyot declined to answer when asked about the recent report that two Indians were detained in connection with the bomb attack. "If the report is true, I still cannot give information to you."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Somyot-orders-strengthening-of-immigration-rules-30268322.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-07

Somyot: "criminals had exploited the negligence of the immigration officers and sneaked into the country to cause chaos and unrest".

No, accepting bribes is not negligence. You are the chief of the RTP. You don't know the difference between an intentional act and one that fails to conform to the standard of a reasonable man? Your men allowed people to enter the country without passports in exchange for 18,000 baht.

I'll be celebrating your retirement at the end of the month, because obviously the border officers won't receive any more discipline than transfer to an inactive post.

Somyot: "criminals had exploited the negligence of the immigration officers and sneaked into the country to cause chaos and unrest".

No, accepting bribes is not negligence. You are the chief of the RTP. You don't know the difference between an intentional act and one that fails to conform to the standard of a reasonable man? Your men allowed people to enter the country without passports in exchange for 18,000 baht.

I'll be celebrating your retirement at the end of the month, because obviously the border officers won't receive any more discipline than transfer to an inactive post.

Corruption is NOT Negligence.

Pity you are retiring, no doubt with great benefits.

The book stops with you, as their boss. You are the one complicit in their Negligence, either by being asleep at the wheel or negligent yourself.

Guilty by association.

Let's hope your replacement is more proficient than you, but the replacement has probably been chosen on who they know, not ability to do the job.

Sort your house out and put in order!! Mr Somyot. Your police force is a joke from top to bottom. Oh and it's all foreigners now involved in trafficking, interesting, What have they done. Infiltrated your previous exculsive little trafficking gangs and taking money away from your underlings. Wouldn't it be lovely if your parting shot was to make a start on all the areas in your control that currently flout the law daily ! Your in charge ! Buck stops with you

Edited by Nigeone

Still wondering why this department has "immigration" in it's name. It's not easy to become Thai, or even try for the lesser option of "permanent resident". Most foreigners I know are 'simple' non-B's

Great. Get your recently unveiled shiny new multi entry tourist visa, turn up at the border and be told to piss off seems to be the way things are going...

As it seems the only thing needed to obtain a shiny new tourist visa is B1000 per entry, perhaps a little tightening is in order. On a recent trip to Suvannakhet consulate, I was lined up with numerous Filippinas embarking on a 9 month Thai holiday, allegedly.

Great. Get your recently unveiled shiny new multi entry tourist visa, turn up at the border and be told to piss off seems to be the way things are going...

As it seems the only thing needed to obtain a shiny new tourist visa is B1000 per entry, perhaps a little tightening is in order. On a recent trip to Suvannakhet consulate, I was lined up with numerous Filippinas embarking on a 9 month Thai holiday, allegedly.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/853675-border-officer-counting-numbers-of-visas-and-taking-notes/

For better understanding: A high Ranking government or other "official" has not reached his position by merit, intelligence, hard work and performance. They were put into place by "Family-Standing" "Connections" and "money". So, is it any wonder, that highest administrative executors, as soon as placed in front of a camera and microphone, display themselves as some babbling idiots with the mental capability of an 8 year old child?

This system of "power distribution" will remain in place and will be defended at all cost by the ones benefiting from it. Therefore: Thailand is, and will remain a "Banana-Republic".

To me, "investors paradise" looks somewhat different.

Cheers.

I honestly wonder if my kids will pass as "proper thais" the way these xenophobic antiques are harping on.

A truly pathetic excuse for a cop (and human being seemingly). The force is an embarrassment aleady but this guy taints it even more, plumbing it to shockingly low depths

I honestly wonder if my kids will pass as "proper thais" the way these xenophobic antiques are harping on.

A truly pathetic excuse for a cop (and human being seemingly). The force is an embarrassment aleady but this guy taints it even more, plumbing it to shockingly low depths

No you got "luk kuern" kids, or roughly translated half childs. If they're comin down on farangs then your kids will get heckled too. As someone said to me once "Foreigners living over here are tolerated, but never wanted". Lets wait and see what the new visa rules are. I this the start of a mass migration of expats leaving Los? Lets hope not.

I wonder if you really wanted to cross the border, couldn't you just have used one the numerous dirt roads in that area?

Take your chances with old landmines. This was the result on September 5th at Khun Han.The tractor driver died in hospital.post-18770-0-61392200-1441629719_thumb.j

No you got "luk kuern" kids, or roughly translated half childs. If they're comin down on farangs then your kids will get heckled too. As someone said to me once "Foreigners living over here are tolerated, but never wanted". Lets wait and see what the new visa rules are. I this the start of a mass migration of expats leaving Los? Lets hope not.

It's 'luk khrueng'

I think the rest of your Pattaya punditry is also unconvincing.

Compare the number of crimes by foreigners to locals, even in comparison terms and may be wise idea would be to enforce law and order in general?

Police being actually active in enforcing the law, but that might be hard to do, when 1 police officer does not pay his bill and they bashes the cashier, while another shoots his superior over bad performance review.

The scariest part is he opened fire in front of other officers, who did not think nor reacted and let him get away.

Priorities, priorities.facepalm.gif

This man is a disgrace to his uniform and it's no coincidence he is a freind of our great dear leader.

Thailand would be well red of both these individuals.

I hope he enjoys counting his spoils, because karma is going to hit you and your co hard and heavy.

Edited by BoristheBlade

Last I remember hearing it was only presumed that those men came through that checkpoint? So I am confused how they turned that assumption into a reality and started persecuting the staff there.

Well I guess they needed some heads to roll so Sa kaew was chosen. Next they will impose such strict measures entering the country that they will lose even more tourists dollars. The downhill slide is soon to come and this RTP chief will be far enough away from the repercussions that they will have to look for more scapegoats to blame.

I wonder if you really wanted to cross the border, couldn't you just have used one the numerous dirt roads in that area?

Take your chances with old landmines. This was the result on September 5th at Khun Han.The tractor driver died in hospital.attachicon.gifkhunhan 05sep15.jpg

Was it determined what sort of mine/s that was, anti vehicle or anti-p, I know it is irrelevant, it snatched away a dude just trying to make a living. So indiscriminate having these things all over the place, no ability to identify a legal target, so everything is a target.

BTW was the area known to of been mined prior to this event?

The fact they were transferred and not in prison awaiting formal charges is laughable. Imagine what would happen to any police man in the USA in prison for bribery. It is becoming embarrassing, I make a lot of facetious comments on TV but try to stay open minded. The current state of affairs is making it very difficult to do so.

If they imprison the heads of Chang beer out of concerns that they are endangering peoples lives my hope may be restored.

Not sure why this news story is getting some of the responses it's getting. So I reread it a few more times and still I'm confused. Increasing the scrutiny of immigrants is a reasonable response to international terrorism. We live in an increasingly violent world and need increasing protection measures to ensure our safety regardless of how the person at the top got into their decision making position. If you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.

The RTP needs to get out of the Immigration, Customs , CSI business.

They need to be separate and independent agencies reporting to the P.M. only.

The Spectacles, Reenactments, Questioning and Accusations on TV by RTP.

Every time we see this it is a done deal the perpetrator is Guilty.

The RTP are not the judge, jury and executioner, their sole job is to Enforce the laws of The Kingdom of Thailand.

After they arrest the perpetrator and make a report to the prosecutors, their job is done.

It is now up to the courts to take over.

Criminal Prosecution Standards
Criminal Procedure in Thailand
Presumption of Innocence

An accused is deemed to be innocent of the charges filed against him until he is proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

The philosophy behind this standard is that the State, being the prosecuting party in a criminal proceeding, has available to her all resources of the country at her disposal. Such creates a clear disadvantage on the accused. To level the playing field, the burden of proving the accused's guilt is placed on the State owing to the advantage which she enjoys.

Rights of an Accused

Stemming from the Presumption of Innocence standard in criminal prosecution, the following are some of the rights afforded to an accused:

• The right to a competent and independent lawyer;
  • The right to keep silent;
  • The right to be told that he may make a statement, but the statement may be used in evidence against him;
  • The right to communicate with counsel, family and friends whenever needed;
  • The right to be given a translator in case he does not speak or understand Thai;
  • The right to the attendance of a lawyer at all critical stages of the criminal proceedings.

Take your chances with old landmines. This was the result on September 5th at Khun Han.The tractor driver died in hospital.attachicon.gifkhunhan 05sep15.jpg

Was it determined what sort of mine/s that was, anti vehicle or anti-p, I know it is irrelevant, it snatched away a dude just trying to make a living. So indiscriminate having these things all over the place, no ability to identify a legal target, so everything is a target.

BTW was the area known to of been mined prior to this event?

I'm not sure of the type of mine. I've been told these mines were left over from the days of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. Even today you still see Danger Landmines signs in some areas as you get close to the the Cambodian border.

I believe the area in the photo was thought to have been de-mined. I've seen HALO Trust carrying out de-mining operations around Preah Vihear Temple in the past. About 10 - 15 years ago I would hear regular reports of people being killed or injured by these things as they searched the jungle areas along the border for mushrooms or bamboo shoots.