Hiring Is Easy, but how do you make them stay?

There is no secret to it.

Money is not a factor, no matter what Thai visa experts will tell you .

When it's busy, they leave because "tired"

When it's quite , they leave because "boring"

No bonuses or incentives will keep them.

Just keep on hiring.

I have been in business for a few years and only have 1 staff who has worked the longest - 3 years, all the rest do 1-3 months.

THIS DOESN'T REALLY SPEAK FOR YOU, OR FOR YOUR MANAGERIAL CAPABILITIES.

Do you see a pattern here Konying? In another post you say you have a similar problem with girlfriends. They don't stay long and neither do your staff. Have a think about it.

Do you realise you are way out of your depth and just trolling ?

You do not have a clue about Thailand or its people yet there you are commenting on things you have no knowledge or experience about.

In another thread you proclaimed that in 6 years you know Thai real estate,where to buy and where to sell, just goes to show how in reality you do not have a clue , yet commenting

Just keep on hiring.

I have been in business for a few years and only have 1 staff who has worked the longest - 3 years, all the rest do 1-3 months.

I have the opposite experience as most of our Thai staffs in the office have been their at least 5 years with a large number been their over 15 years. We have around 240 Thai staffs and 20 expats.

We offer a very good salary, yearly bonuses, birthday parties and we are very close to our staffs.

The fact is that some people know how to hire and retain staff, while others don't. The ones that can't do it assume it's a general problem and don't realize that they are either hiring the wrong staff or not offering the right package and working conditions to retain them.

Lol, once you actually work or do something more than post on Thai visa, come back then and educate us about Thai work force

Another poster had the right idea when he said do it the Thai way. Thais expect work to be fun. They like to work together and not alone. Never send someone off-site alone to do a job, it needs a pair at least. They put family first and you need to make special allowances for family time off (funerals etc). Provide lunch and a place for people to heat up their food and eat together. Sponsor karaoke nights and other social get-togethers. Have drinks on Friday afternoon and a 'buffet' meal. Plan a 3 day paid holiday, once a year, for workers etc. etc.

Not only I pay them but I also have to entertain them ? MY AXX !!!

They are here to do what I tell them to do and they are not even here to think or have initiative, so this is all what I ask them.

Who believes that with more salary or respect they would stay longer is just as plain stupid as them, and trust me, they really are for most of them !

Edited by thailandforumaddict

They are here to do what I tell them to do and they are not even here to think or have initiative, so this is all what I ask them.

Who believes that with more salary or respect they would stay longer is just as plain stupid as them, and trust me, they really are for most of them !

Thats exactly right, Its suppose to be fun and owner.manager should provide entertainment and also pay the salaries.

If you make them responsible for something, they quit

If you make them deal with a problem, they quit

If they create a problem and you either make them deal with it or pay for it, they quit

If they had a problem at home, they bring it to work

Then there is also sheep mentality, if one quits, others quit.

Over the years, i think i have had all who were fired or went MIA return asking for their job back at one point in time.

Once they work for at least 1 year before they get a pay rise

First 3-4 months business wastes money and looses money on training them

Just keep on hiring.

I have the opposite experience as most of our Thai staffs in the office have been their at least 5 years with a large number been their over 15 years. We have around 240 Thai staffs and 20 expats.

We offer a very good salary, yearly bonuses, birthday parties and we are very close to our staffs.

The fact is that some people know how to hire and retain staff, while others don't. The ones that can't do it assume it's a general problem and don't realize that they are either hiring the wrong staff or not offering the right package and working conditions to retain them.

Lol, once you actually work or do something more than post on Thai visa, come back then and educate us about Thai work force

You don't have to listen to me. Instead you can listen to the others on this thread that have businesses and manage to retain staff. They can do it but you can't. So ask their advice. Same with girlfriends. Ask advice of people that have successful relationships. If all your friends have similar problems, as you stated above, then don't take their advice. Plenty of good advice on here from others. Up to you whether you want to take it or not.

With that attitude it is obvious your staff will leave. And who can blame them. Why would anyone stay at a company where the boss/owner/manager thought they were stupid. You may not say it, but they'd easily pick it up. You also don't understand the culture by the sounds of it. You're trying to install a Western culture on a Thai workforce.

You don't have to listen to me. Instead you can listen to the others on this thread that have businesses and manage to retain staff. They can do it but you can't. So ask their advice. Same with girlfriends. Ask advice of people that have successful relationships. If all your friends have similar problems, as you stated above, then don't take their advice. Plenty of good advice on here from others. Up to you whether you want to take it or not.

So answer simple direct question.

Which bar or forum have you gained your knowledge and experience about Thai labor, working with Thai and managing Thai?

There is a good reason, why there are so many complaints about bad service and lack of knowledge, no matter where one goes.

Its certainly NOT because they underpaid or unfairly treatedthumbsup.gif

As for girlfriend remark, as i replied to you on another thread, you are so delusional, that it would not be possible to open your eyes, so no point wasting my time.

But in case you missed it, good girls are NOT attracted to foreign men, double the age and weight, no matter what your good girl is telling you.

With that attitude it is obvious your staff will leave. And who can blame them. Why would anyone stay at a company where the boss/owner/manager thought they were stupid. You may not say it, but they'd easily pick it up. You also don't understand the culture by the sounds of it. You're trying to install a Western culture on a Thai workforce.

Just to confirm, and you do understand the culture of Thai workforce? and you gained this knowledge at?

Which bar or forum have you gained your knowledge and experience about Thai labor, working with Thai and managing Thai?

There is a good reason, why there are so many complaints about bad service and lack of knowledge, no matter where one goes.

As for girlfriend remark, as i replied to you on another thread, you are so delusional, that it would not be possible to open your eyes, so no point wasting my time.

But in case you missed it, good girls are NOT attracted to foreign men, double the age and weight, no matter what your good girl is telling you.

I couldn't listen to him if I wanted to. The sound of his voice would likely be muffled and distorted by the flapping of his butt cheeks as he tried to speak.

I know you can't be Japanese or Chinese if you're not but some of the principles of both of these nations successfully run businesses although not identical in themselves, can be emulated to a great degree.

My observations of a successfully run Chinese owned building supplies company near Surin over some six months included the bosses being physically placed at the centre of the shop, available at all times to staff for advice whilst they themselves were busy doing the office work.

I noted the bosses were patient and friendly at all times to all of their staff and not officious toward them, they also gave each member of staff a 25kg bag of rice (No. 3) every month as a bonus. Things got done but the hardest working people were the bosses and the office staff, the women (all women) doing all the other tasks, getting stuff for customers, taking in stuff from deliveries etc. were allowed to loaf around a bit during a lull. There was a large bank of closed cicuit camera screens covering the shop and yard.

Employment longevity or loyalty was rewarded with yearly increments and two days off a month paid for if a minimum of two days notice was given, lateness was frowned upon but the offender only penalised (financially) after two unpunctual arrivals in any one month.

I thought it was great Buliders' Merchants but was shocked, momentarily, one day when I asked my g/f what one of the bosses was talking about on the 'phone and she replied that one of their lorries had been stopped by the police and an envelope was to be ready in half an hour for collection!

Edited by piersbeckett

Pay them above the industry standard. For example if the industry standard is 15k baht, pay them 17,5k. Free coffee, tea etc goes a long way as well. Treat them with respect but always maintain your authority, don't forget that they are your employees, not your friends.

Pay them above the industry standard. For example if the industry standard is 15k baht, pay them 17,5k. Free coffee, tea etc goes a long way as well. Treat them with respect but always maintain your authority, don't forget that they are your employees, not your friends.

Again , rather a useless comment.

Paying above the industry rate does not retain them,

It brings more unqualified applicants though.

Thai are not big coffee or tea drinkers.,providing free meal is just as useless,

Providing free alcohol and large screen tvs for internet surfing and playing games, might do the trick though

How do the large Japanese companies keep staff ?

or do they have the same problems ?

and do the Chinese (not Thai Chinese) do it another way ?

Or because they are Asian do they get respect that a Westerner will never get ?

in basic terms, they keep them jailed.

most factory workers live onsite with curfew.

factory also feeds them

and most factories are still short staffed.

from memory, i read they were 200 000-300 000 short and were thinking/trying to bring staff from Malaysia(there was a thread about that)

In that case, choose a girl similar age and weight. Problem solved.

Just to confirm, and you do understand the culture of Thai workforce? and you gained this knowledge at?

I said there's no need to listen to me. Listen to the people above that run successful businesses with a Thai workforce and that are able to retain their staff. They can do it, so ask their advice. You keep saying it can't be done but there are others actually doing it.

cheesy.gif

Do you hang around social security office to meet yours? or women just jump on you in shopping malls because you such a sexy man?whistling.gif

I said there's no need to listen to me. Listen to the people above that run successful businesses with a Thai workforce and that are able to retain their staff. They can do it, so ask their advice. You keep saying it can't be done but there are others actually doing it.

So you do not have any experience or knowledge, but you are commenting why?

So you do not have any experience or knowledge, but you are commenting why?

Because I'm trying to help you with your staffing problems.

cheesy.gif

Do you hang around social security office to meet yours? or women just jump on you in shopping malls because you such a sexy man?whistling.gif

No idea what a social security office is and never had any women jumping on me in shopping malls. I can see why those relationships didn't work out for you.

No idea what a social security office is and never had any women jumping on me in shopping malls. I can see why those relationships didn't work out for you.

This just gets better and better with every postcheesy.gif

Can you really be that delusional?facepalm.gif

This just gets better and better with every postcheesy.gif

Can you really be that delusional?facepalm.gif

I've no idea what you mean. Delusional about what. I really don't know what a social security office is, as I've never been to one. I also don't know of a single person that had a woman jump on them at a mall. I've never seen it happen either.

Because I'm trying to help you with your staffing problems.

So you do not have a clue, nor knowledge nor experience but you trying to help me?blink.png

Did i ask for your help or did OP ask for advise from people with NO clue at all?

You didn't ask for help directly, but you pointed out the problems you're having. Do that in a forum and you'll get replies. The OP didn't ask for your problems, so why mention them?

Benchmark compensation against competitors- salary, 13th+ month bonus, performance bonus, benefits (eg. health insurance), pension, annual leave, etc. Easy way to do this is via networking and interviewing/hiring candidates from competitors.

Talk with staff who are leaving at an exit interview and try to get out of them the reasons why- eg. by asking them what they liked, what they didn't like, how they think the company could improve the environment for staff.

Offer incentives to stay longer. For example give them a certain amount of annual leave and step it up by one day per year up to a cap. Offer them a slight (eg. 1000 baht) pay increase per month after they pass probation. Gift certificates and other awards for 5yr, 10yr, 20yr, etc celebrated at the annual dinner.

Ensure you hire the right type of candidate for the job. Younger fresh graduates will always bounce around between jobs more often. When you hire new people have the reporting manager screen and interview the candidates so you only see what he/she is happy with, as ultimately they will need to work and cooperate well with each other on a daily basis.

Be sensitive to local culture. Don't berate people in front of others. Try to keep the mood in the office somewhat light, even if it is serious and performance-driven. Support your good performers and ensure that they see a future with your company- let them build teams around them and train them.

Even if you do all of the above some people will still leave. Ultimately if they are able to find a big promotion somewhere else with a big increase in salary that you can't offer, then celebrate their good fortune with them and keep their exit cordial. Job markets tend to be small and in future you might have an opportunity to work with them again.

• 4 months later...