ways to live permanently in thailand with my girlfriend

Tombuk

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could start by winning the lottery....

But a more reliable way would be to get some qualifications that would give you a chance on getting a job here.

Look at the Thai foreign business act to see what foreigners can do here and make sure what you learn is something that a Thai can't easily learn.

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

At the age of 23, with little or no education or skill the chances of living in Thailand permanently range between zero and nil.

I apologise for being the the one to tell you the truth.

Its not as I I have no education but what I have is pretty useless in Thailand. I just wanted to know what skills I could gain to get a job there. I know there's not many as lets face it Thai people aren't stupid they can do everything foreign people can do to pretty much the same standard if not better.

Do a bar tending course and apply as a bar manager. You only need a small place to start and earn your stripes and the progress to the larger British style pubs. If that doesn't suit then you could apply for a cashiers job, can you say me no bar boy ,I just cashier?

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

At the age of 23, with little or no education or skill the chances of living in Thailand permanently range between zero and nil.

Its not as I I have no education but what I have is pretty useless in Thailand. I just wanted to know what skills I could gain to get a job there. I know there's not many as lets face it Thai people aren't stupid they can do everything foreign people can do to pretty much the same standard if not better.

Obviously you have no experience whatsoever living in Thailand, making such a statement.

"They can do everything foreign people can do to pretty much the same standard as better".

What have you had them do for you?

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

The hospitality industry is one option, although hard to break into. Food and beverage, things like that.

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

Obviously you have no experience whatsoever living in Thailand, making such a statement.

"They can do everything foreign people can do to pretty much the same standard as better".

What have you had them do for you?

You tell me what Thai people cant do and what you can do better than they can?

Then maybe I will choose the same career as you.

Lots of people on here saying do computer programming as other things related but from what I have seen in the 2 years of living there, Thai people can also do this.

If its true love.......wub.png ........and its gotta happen,

Then you have a much better chance of doing it the other way round, she gets a holiday visa comes to see you, & like the other 1.2 million people, forgets to go back..................she will find work in a Thai restaurant easy.......time will pass....family will get larger with British citizens......etc ....etc

Then of course, once there she may find someone with a bit more drive & go ahead than you who doesn't

have a dead end job & sits around moaning...............etc etc .....

Either way your problem will be solved....................................coffee1.gif

Edited by oxo1947

Then you have a much better chance of doing it the other way round, she gets a holiday visa comes to see you, & like the other 1.2 million people, forgets to go back..................she will find work in a Thai restaurant easy.......time will pass....family will get larger with British citizens......etc ....etc

Then of course, once there she may find someone with a bit more drive & go ahead than you...............etc etc ................coffee1.gif

Please tell me how I have no drive and go? I left school joined the army as and infantryman. Then got discharged and lived in Thailand 2 years and worked as a teacher. Now I'm back in the UK working 12 hours a day whilst looking for advice on subjects to study which can get me a job in both Thailand and the UK.

Ps. I don't want to be one of the other 98% of foreigners there who finally get to live there at the age of 40, fat and balding, wearing a white vest with this mornings beans down the front and and 5 kids tagging along and my wife that doesn't look all that happy.

Did you bother to learn any Thai during your two years there ? I moved to Hong Kong out of Uni. I took Chinese in College. Also went the IT / industrial automation route. Thailand is a mess and is pretty much the place where ambition goes to die. Most people in the region work in more dynamic places and use Thailand as a second home or did.

You really need to find a life's calling. Then you need to obtain skills that allow you to do what you want to do. The easiest language to learn is probably Malay which is also spoken in Indonesia. Indonesia will be the second largest economy in Asia.

There is a world food shortage, so if you have an interest in agriculture, that may be something to look into. There is a bit o tech in farming these days as well.

If you apply yourself, look further afield than Thailand toward its neighbors, you will fair better.

Not sure if you're trolling, but you can do freelance remote work, either for a company you are connected with (which would be great as the trust is built and pay would be higher) or for other companies or your own.

There is a Tropical MBA podcast run by two guys who built a seven figure business from SE Asia, they have plenty of tips. Also the book The End of Jobs details some of the ways people have leveraged living in SE Asia while building online businesses. Start up costs are more time/work/ingenuity intensive rather than financial intensive, ie: $500 laptop and coffee money.

Skype or Bandcamp makes it feasible without doing oil rig work, teaching, or corporate expat. Nothing against these if that works for them.

Edited by squarethecircle

Then of course, once there she may find someone with a bit more drive & go ahead than you...............etc etc ................coffee1.gif

Please tell me how I have no drive and go? I left school joined the army as and infantryman. Then got discharged and lived in Thailand 2 years and worked as a teacher. Now I'm back in the UK working 12 hours a day whilst looking for advice on subjects to study which can get me a job in both Thailand and the UK.

Well....do a little reverse engineering here....ie what kind of jobs are available to foreigners in Thailand ...(and I can only assume that being a teacher has been ruled out) and do whatever it takes in training to get that job.

Maybe there are jobs that you can train for to work at the UK embassy (no...not talking about "ambassador") but some low level entry position or even a "guard" as you have military training.

Just a thought

Ps. I don't want to be one of the other 98% of foreigners there who finally get to live there at the age of 40, fat and balding, wearing a white vest with this mornings beans down the front and and 5 kids tagging along and my wife that doesn't look all that happy.

now you've just lost any help or advice on this thread from as you say 98% of foreigners who finally get to live here.. You need to get real. Study or train and earn a living. Maybe put some away for your old age or the time when you are able to be part of the 98% who earned their right to be here.

Don't worry, you'll likely not be able to afford the white vest.

Did you bother to learn any Thai during your two years there ? I moved to Hong Kong out of Uni. I took Chinese in College. Also went the IT / industrial automation route. Thailand is a mess and is pretty much the place where ambition goes to die. Most people in the region work in more dynamic places and use Thailand as a second home or did.

You really need to find a life's calling. Then you need to obtain skills that allow you to do what you want to do. The easiest language to learn is probably Malay which is also spoken in Indonesia. Indonesia will be the second largest economy in Asia.

There is a world food shortage, so if you have an interest in agriculture, that may be something to look into. There is a bit o tech in farming these days as well.

If you apply yourself, look further afield than Thailand toward its neighbors, you will fair better.

Yes I did learn Thai for 2 years so can speak it to an intermediate level I would say. I am continuing to study it now in the UK but just on my own and with my girlfriend. I am also learning how to read and wright it better.

Thanks for the advice and I will look onto other countries in the area.

You left school joined the army (at what age)??....have been her boyfriend since you were 19, worked earn money here in Thailand lived with her but went back. Where you now have a job that gives you 12 hours work a day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could go down the same route as poster oncearugge "OP --Sorry You are fantasising ! "

-----------------------------

but I wont because I don't know you---so I'll apologise for the line ----"a bit more drive & go ahead than you."

its an opinion without fact to base it.

--- my first suggestion I think is still the best, holiday Visa---- Do you want to live with her or is it that you just want to live in Thailand ? both of you working --her cash in hand---you with your 12 hour days, if you do start a family then the staying part is solved. saving together (while learning something useful to do here) deepens what your priorities are. Wanting to live in Thailand-------wanting to live with her.

now you've just lost any help or advice on this thread from as you say 98% of foreigners who finally get to live here.. You need to get real. Study or train and earn a living. Maybe put some away for your old age or the time when you are able to be part of the 98% who earned their right to be here.

I know that I need to study and train but few people on here are giving me advice on what to study. Ie, a subject. Do I study computers. Do I study engineering?

Can you please tell me what all these people wo earned the right to be there studied and work as?

You left school joined the army (at what age)??....have been her boyfriend since you were 19, worked earn money here in Thailand lived with her but went back. Where you now have a job that gives you 12 hours work a day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could go down the same route as poster oncearugge "OP --Sorry You are fantasising ! "

but I wont because I don't know you---so I'll apologise for the line ----"a bit more drive & go ahead than you."

--- my first suggestion I think is still the best, holiday Visa---- Do you want to live with her or is it that you just want to live in Thailand ? both of you working --her cash in hand---you with your 12 hour days, if you do start a family then the staying part is solved. saving together (while learning something useful to do here) deepens what your priorities are. Wanting to live in Thailand-------wanting to live with her.

I joined the army at 16 and left at 21 (medical reasons) yes I have been her boyfriend since I was 19 I'm now 23 and she is 21.

I am not particularly bothered if we live In Thailand or England as long as we live together. I was just thinking about the future so we could live in either country and I could still work. She is an only child so she takes care of her parents, so its difficult for her to stay here.

I know that I need to study and train but few people on here are giving me advice on what to study. Ie, a subject. Do I study computers. Do I study engineering?

Can you please tell me what all these people wo earned the right to be there studied and work as?

Ok. There is no easy direction to go. Most people start out in one job then move on get experience and maybe go self employed.

Not many people start in one job and finish in the same job in 30 or so years time. You basically by trying find something you are good at. It may take a year it may take 20 but there is no sure root.

You have a big obstacle in your way. You are in love with a girl from another country. So you are trying to find a way to stay here in a working environment which really doesn't you.

There are a few here who made it rich here but mostly they had money to invest.

Best option is to get a job back there. Try to get on and upwards and get here over there.

I've known quite a few young giys like you and all of them went back to the UK . 2 with wifes both now divorced. A few others who went back got educated and married girls from home.

From my experience being here 14 years many come and go here. Not many make enough money to live well and save for retirement.

Stay in the UK would be my honest advice. I know you don't want to hear that.

Anyways good luck. You are going to need it.

Start at the beginning and ask what you are qualified to study ?

Most skilled trades and professions demand a level of education , usually obtained whist at school, which determines an applicants suitability for entry into further/higher education.

I joined the army at 16 and left at 21 (medical reasons) yes I have been her boyfriend since I was 19 I'm now 23 and she is 21.

I am not particularly bothered if we live In Thailand or England as long as we live together. I was just thinking about the future so we could live in either country and I could still work. She is an only child so she takes care of her parents, so its difficult for her to stay here.

A difficult one...How old are the parents......?

Her parents are 50ish her mother is fine and works In the little shop but her dad is ill and cant work and do much for himself anymore.

Going through withdrawal and seem quite desperate. Not enjoying myself at your expense because been where you are now at the age of 30. Sought advice and looked to no end how to live permanently in Thailand. Not as many options in 2001 but if you had skills, you could join the young x-pats I see all over Thailand. Problem, you lack any skills that would make the move possible.

Most ask for advice knowing the answer. No guarantees but picking up a skill and learning how to utilize that skill is the answer. Really no other means to do this without sacrificing Thailand for now. I already had skills at 30 and just worked my arse off for 6 years in the USA. Now I'm living a comfortable life in Thailand. To be honest, probably would have had to work another 10 years but luck was on my side.

The idea of picking up programming seems doable. Then learning how how to create value with a UK company for a few years. Maybe after 3-6 years you make the move. I was 23 it seems as if it was yesterday and now am creeping up on 50. Wish you the best.

OP

Sorry

You are fantasising !

without trying to sound rude your a bit of a loser in the uk and Thailand can do without losers here