Reverse Double Pricing

geronimo

My friend has hit upon a novel idea. He's opening a Pub in Bangkok this saturday. Like me, he's been here for many years and one of his main gripes is the blatant two tier pricing that we all have to suffer. Well I think he's gonna get his own back because he's informed me that on his price list there will be two prices for everything, one for Non Thais and one for Thais. Of course the great thing is that the Thais will have to pay more than us farang!!!!! Yess way to go!!!!! He said he wants them to feel what we feel everytime we run into this. Good on him I say

BTW I daren't give any details about the name or location of his pub yet, at least until he's said ok.

Like to hear if anyone else has experienced the reverse double pricing in Thailand.

his business might not survive for too long.

I can understand charging more for reach foreigners/tourists, who don't know the prices - can't understand charging more for students, who have many other choices to enjoy their evenings

His pub better give something real good orelse !! :o

If this biz can simply survive with farang customers then good for him, if not then... tough luck by his own choice.

I am thai also and I am not going to tell ya how stingy we can get ... even when it comes to entertainment :D

xx Bunnigal xx

Edited by Bunnigal

Even though I'm against double pricing for foreiners here in LOS, I don't like the idea you suggesting.

It reminds me of a hostess bar that caters to Japanese that has a sign outside that says "Japanese only" :o

How would you feel of a similar sign in your home country that says "Thais only"? :D

So it seems a few people dont like the idea of a higher Thai price than Farangs.

Goes to show in this world you cannot be racist,unless its against a white person. You cannot be sexist,unless its against a man and you cannot have dual pricing,unless the Farang has the higher price.

BTW, the blue taxis that run along the roads and sois of Pattaya are 5 baht. Dont pay 10.

Sounds very unsound to me....

If this is one of his main business plans, then I don't see much hope for his business.

While we all may like to think about it, or talk about it, I think to do it is actually very childish and immature. Try and disuade him from this plan...... and good luck to him in his new venture.

I doubt most locals would care. I think the whole farang (not all) frustration with double pricing is often 'the straw that broke the farang's back' type of situation where all of one's other frustrations regarding the LOS pile on top one another and this is just one more thing that makes it a 'big' deal. It's just business. It's by no means any kind of racial hatred. There are establishments around that discourage those of Indian and African descent as well... not because they are hated, just because the owners feel they are bad for business.

Not all locals support double pricing by the way. We are more than happy to charge people of all nationalities and races the same grossly inflated profit margin.

:o

How is he going to achieve this? For example, the two tier pricing I've seen is where the Thai price is written in Thai (Thai numbers), I don't know any Thai's that can't read arabic numerals (as used in English). Seems very unsound to me.

Edited by JCCR6

My friend has hit upon a novel idea. He's opening a Pub in Bangkok this saturday. Like me, he's been here for many years and one of his main gripes is the blatant two tier pricing that we all have to suffer. Well I think he's gonna get his own back because he's informed me that on his price list there will be two prices for everything, one for Non Thais and one for Thais. Of course the great thing is that the Thais will have to pay more than us farang!!!!! Yess way to go!!!!! He said he wants them to feel what we feel everytime we run into this. Good on him I say

BTW I daren't give any details about the name or location of his pub yet, at least until he's said ok.

Like to hear if anyone else has experienced the reverse double pricing in Thailand.

truly a stupid idea ..... but since you are just taking the piss/trolling ....... have fun

So it seems a few people dont like the idea of a higher Thai price than Farangs.

Goes to show in this world you cannot be racist,unless its against a white person. You cannot be sexist,unless its against a man and you cannot have dual pricing,unless the Farang has the higher price.

BTW, the blue taxis that run along the roads and sois of Pattaya are 5 baht. Dont pay 10.

How rigt you are! :o

How is he going to achieve this? For example, the two tier pricing I've seen is where the Thai price is written in Thai (Thai numbers), I don't know any Thai's that can't read arabic numerals (as used in English). Seems very unsound to me.

well, it would seem he will blatantly do it, and if the reason is to market to expat foreigners, then it will be possibly an appealing marketing campaign. To some white foreigners; most probably won't really care.

If the aim is to actually get any Thai consumers, then it is highly unlikely to work; they just aren't going to pay. Supply and demand; there are a ton of places they can go, it is highly unlikely (if located in BKK) that there is anything close to significant uncopyable uniqueness/competitive advantage in terms of appeal/brand/service so therefore.... Thai people just won't go, why would we when we can just go somewhere else and not have to pay more.

I will be very curious (once open) to see how the concept works though; specifically whether the marketing appeal of this will actually work.

BTW there already are bars here that don't allow Thais in them, or don't allow Thais to be serviced e.g. some oil massage places - at any price. There are restaurants, particularly in tourist areas in the south where a table of Thais will be almost unable to be seated or served - and that's from personal experience; again unlike a national park or something in scarce supply, it just means walking around the corner usually to go somewhere else.

There are some bars in the west that will have a 'reserve the right not to serve' and routinely turn away foreigners of certain nationalities on the basis of 'dress' ' private function' etc - I've got enough friends working door in NZ/Australia and USA to know that being hip enough to go to certain places requires certain ethnicity. (some clubs are Asian only, some are almost all white, etc). Breaks the law? Sure, if you believe all that equality law stuff down to the letter, but the club can always claim that the person was just not hip enough etc.

But the patrons of each club are wanting a certain experience, and therefore the club delivers it. In some cases it means people like them, in other cases it might mean no girls, in this case perhaps there is a viable case for a bar actively discouraging Thais from going. Given that most of the (white) foreigners I know here tend to be up for going out and many don't have white partners, I am unsure whether they will all want to sit by themselves with no company other than their own countrymen; so....like i say, can't wait to see if it works. I could see the single best venue for this would be a bar with hostesses, as then the farang (presumably this is aimed at farangs, not Japanese, Chinese etc) will have to pay an even higher price for the lady/boy drinks since the hostesses/hosts will presumably be Thai. Therefore, seemingly a win for the farang ends up being yet another 'pleed pay more, you whid ghod, buffalo sick TIT cue endless usual lines' :o

Actually, that is pretty much genius when I think about it like that. I might have to sell this idea off to the 2000 non work permit holding foreign owners of bars on 30 day tourist visas in the 30 bar Nana bar complex :-)

Edited by steveromagnino

I was reading a string of posts on Manageronline.com from Thais complaining of being excluded from or charged more for services.

This goes dual pricing thing goes on and is in truth not good for anyone.

We all work hard for our money, we all deserve a fair deal.

So only thais can be xenophobic?

Good idea to post a sign in that pub "Thais not welcome" LOL

I have seen that exact sign and I was so offended.

TIES NOT WELCOME

And after taking great offense, I also noted that the owner obviously couldn't spell either.

I showed them exactly what I thought of them, by saying, 'yes I'll have another two rounds please if it isn't too much trouble' when they asked me if I wanted something to drink.

America is so racist. :D:D:D:o:D:D:D Just as well they gave me some snacks to eat too. Otherwise I would have spent the last 10 years posting on expat Thai webboards about this outrage.

So only thais can be xenophobic?

Good idea to post a sign in that pub "Thais not welcome" LOL

ok ... the thread is certainly a wind-up ....

but let's pretend it isn't .....

Would YOU go to a place where you'd be surrounded by folks that are normally whinging but are now gloating? Would you bring a friend there? a date?

I would happily walk on by and have a chuckle at the expense of the pensioners inside alone .......

I am sure the British Club charges a crap load of money to keep the riff-raff out.

But thais are already discriminated against here in their own country. In terms of apartments that want mainly farangs, and hotels as well as some restaurants.

I have it on authority that as long as you can prove that you are well bred and hold one of gods own passports then membership of the (bless me) British Club could/should be within your grasp..

Just have a word with 2 Hon members,tell them wot skool wot you attended and assure them that the profits from the sale of your recent venture in Hampstead/Africa will provide more that adequet funding for your future enterprises (never say money...common)in the colonies ...nod and a wink will also help... :o

I suppose I have been reading TV too long, or I would never consider making this post - but if the person buying the drinks is falang, and the consumer Thai, what is the pricing ?

Tell him to wear a bullet proof jacket......only kidding, don't think Thais will care, just won't come in. Reminds me of segregation in the US in the 60's. Hey, you could have double pricing for women, ugly ones would pay more than pretty ones and have the guys in the bar rate them......only kidding.

Reminds me of a joke called the Budweiser Scale think I will go to the joke section and post it.