Shrouding Thailand in a facade of happiness won't hide reality

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Shrouding Thailand in a facade of happiness won't hide reality

PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND today is a happy land, it's "stronger together" and 99.99 per cent democratic, unless you happen to strongly disagree with junta-leader-cum-Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha and the way he runs, or rather controls, the country.

Action against those who dare to disagree ranges from being dragged away from the venue you chose to air your dissent to being told to shut your mouth or being charged under one of the junta's many arbitrary laws.

The military junta, also known as the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), is taking every step possible to ensure that any and all political dissent is discouraged. Yet, they don't seem to realise that every time somebody is dragged or gagged but refuses to shut up, more infamy is piled on to Prayut.

On Sunday, a high-school student was physically removed while Prayut was delivering a speech against corruption simply because he was holding up a banner suggesting that "ethics", one of the core values preached by the PM, should be based on reason, not on rote.

Prayut, who staged the coup in May 2014 and later had himself named premier, used this opportunity to crack a joke. "Please take good care of him and understand the security officers as they have had to watch over me quite carefully recently," he said, adding that if the student were on "his" side, then the guards would be gentle with him.

On the same day, a well-known high-school student activist, Netiwit Junrasal, posted on Facebook that the symposium he was planning to hold on historical maverick Narin Klueng had to be cancelled because police had come to tell him that the "political situation is not normal" for the event.

Then there were the 100 or so police deployed on Saturday at the Bangkok Arts and Cultural Centre to deal with a handful of political protesters.

And let us not forget Pheu Thai Party's senior executive Chaturon Chaisaeng, whose passports were revoked last week because he has continued criticising Prayut and the regime. This despite the fact that Chaturon is already being tried in military court for not reporting to the junta right after the coup.

According to the rights group iLaw, the junta has summoned at least 751 people, myself included, since it took over last year.

Most of those summoned were made to sign an "agreement", stipulating that if they were found participating, aiding or leading an anti-junta movement, their bank accounts would be frozen and they would face prosecution. Also, we need to seek the NCPO's "kind" approval if we wish to travel overseas.

Maintaining a facade of a happy, "stronger together" Thailand based on coercion, repression, silencing or marginalising those who think differently will only make the country weaker.

Pretending that everything is perfect is like refusing to accept the fact that Thailand is pluralistic - both politically and culturally - and that there's no going back, not even under Prayut's "absolute rule". His jokes and unsophisticated but affable personality might be endearing to some, but he cannot hide the tragic reality of what Thailand is today.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Shrouding-Thailand-in-a-facade-of-happiness-wont-h-30268440.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-09

As the old phrase goes, you can put lip-stick on a pig....

The only way you are going to remotely bring happiness to the people, is to repel the defamation laws and let the fighting begin.

I understand this my seem counter-intuitive to the average person... but without a more level playing field, even the Thai's know it's lip-stick.

Thailand has always been under military control. Nowdays this control is being reported more due to technology, the internet. It seems we are living in a big brother state but in reality I see little change to the way of life in my street and area I live in. As for happiness, that's their culture. Most Thais smile everyday, it is after all the Los.

Affable? How bout laughable. Damned serious issues imploding on the country and one man thinks he's got all the answers, and shuns outside advice or help because face. Mr PM, take a page from your king 100 years ago who brought in a Frenchman to (successfully) run the country!

That's all true yoi knkw but I have a retort that justifies everything Prayuth ans the junta does...

"But, but.... THAKSIN!"....

There you are oh great leader of happiness. You may carry on in your hugely suppressive manner. My wife will be most pleased that I have such unquestionable and feverant loyalty to you.

That's all true you knkw but I have a retort that justifies everything Prayuth ans the junta does...

"But, but.... THAKSIN!"....

There you are oh great leader of happiness. You may carry on in your hugely suppressive manner. My wife will be most pleased that I have such unquestionable and feverant loyalty to you.

Written by someone with an axe to grind.

Why don't you educate us as to what exactly you disagree with in this article instead of making rather dimwitted statements. Of course he's not a junta lover like you. If you were hauled in for an attitude adjustment session and forced to sign papers that curtailed your rights to free speech would you be........oh, wait; you probably would still sing His praise. Edited by MZurf

Thailand has always been under military control. Nowdays this control is being reported more due to technology, the internet. It seems we are living in a big brother state but in reality I see little change to the way of life in my street and area I live in. As for happiness, that's their culture. Most Thais smile everyday, it is after all the Los.

The little change aspect of this equation applies as long as you behave yourself and don't speak out of line. And whatever you do, do not disrupt the status quo, or even attempt to do so.

This is one brave journalist. He spent a week in detention after the coup (was even charged with LM, it seems) because he was seen as someone who might cause trouble for the junta given his previous writings on what's wrong with 'the system.' That's why he can talk about, from a personal perspective, what happened to those who were detained (how they were threatened, etc.). And yet he still has the courage to speak out. We should be happy there are people like him among us...

As the old phrase goes, you can put lip-stick on a pig....

The only way you are going to remotely bring happiness to the people, is to repel the defamation laws and let the fighting begin.

I understand this my seem counter-intuitive to the average person... but without a more level playing field, even the Thai's know it's lip-stick.

"...and let the fighting begin".

Agreed

The little change aspect of this equation applies as long as you behave yourself and don't speak out of line. And whatever you do, do not disrupt the status quo, or even attempt to do so.

But you can think whatever you like so long as you don't say.

One day, all the thinkers will begin to act together. On that day, Prayuth and his criminal accomplices start to run and find there isn't anywhere to run to where they will be accepted, It'll be a rude awakening for them.

But you can think whatever you like so long as you don't say.

One day, all the thinkers will begin to act together. On that day, Prayuth and his criminal accomplices start to run and find there isn't anywhere to run to where they will be accepted, It'll be a rude awakening for them.

He will have plenty of places to run. Despots always find a home. Does anyone think for a minute fortunes are not being made?

whistling.gif May be not, but it has been done for years by a lot of politicians worldwide.

Such as in the U.S.A., the U.K., and Europe with their Eurozone and the European Union.

Every so-called "Democracy" in the world id based on a façade of lies and Thailand is no different.

If you can understand it here is a short poem for you.

It;s from a novel about a future "managed Democracy" and the name of the poem is:

"McDougal's Song".

Now as to whether the Sate can loose and Bind

In heaven as well as Earth.

And if it be best to kill Mankind,

before or afterbirth.

Now these are matters of high concern,

where State-kept scholars are.

But wholly free we have come to learn must end in Holy War.

(and the Chorus Goes)

Once there was "The People", error gave it birth.

Once there was "The People", it made a hell of Earth.

Once there was "The People", now here me all you slain,

Once there was "The People", it will never be again.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The reality of Thai acceptance of PM Prayut, as I see it, is that most Thais don't know and don't care that he is a combination of the aspects of heavy-handed tyrants; a cartoon version of Mao Tse Tung, Fidel Castro with a strong dose of Mickey Mouse. He seems to be an appropriate leader for a culture mired in superstition and the 'may bpen ray' mindset. Lord Acton said it and it still goes, "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" . Prayut will have to be dragged kicking and screaming away from his post.

After a half-dozen years living in Bangkok I feel qualified to comment on 'thainess'. So-called thainess is the default passive-aggressive and xenophobic nature of a people who have been brainwashed by the trifecta of social control that is: 1) the military, 2) the monarchy and 3) the (virtually) theocratic religious penumbra. Thainess was first and IMO accurately described in a U.S. Broadway musical 75 years ago; a short musical segment goes, "...We are Siamese if you please-we are Siamese if you don't please" ...Thais have no chance of rising to an educated level of political awareness under the current culture, and going forward, Thailand will lose out economically to its neighbors in SE Asia who are not subject to these anachronistic social restrictions. Now we notice major corporations moving out to Vietnam; can Myanmar be far behind? Of course, I agree that as 'falangs' we exist as guests here, so we should just ether suck it up re the real or apparent injustices --or just go home....up to you. last Sunday I visited my may baan at a picnic at Queen's Park, where I spoke to many Thai ladies of the Housekeepers Union (yeah, it's real). These ladies are very experienced in cultural interactions, having lived and served with Western families for years. Their complaints about Prayut seem only to revolve around the interruptions to their beloved lakawns...55555.

I'll take the shroud of happiness over the ridiculous excuse for government, there was with Yingluck. Democracy has a hard time with a country as corrupt as Thailand.

Long live the Prime Minister. I don't care if they ever have an election. Maybe a bit cynical, but this works.