Jomtien roundabout

BeefSlapper

Hi. Um going through Jomtien roundabout everyday, I must say its rulez less.

Thais dont know how to go through it.

Just random.

Bikes and cars that are on it stops to let approaching vehicles go through.

They bad trained or is it me who dont know thier rule.

In old eur u let everyone on ur right or left depends on country goes before u.

Vehicles on round about got right to go before approachin vehicles.

Its terrible b cuz once they stop once they go. Random really.

Cheers

Its terrible man.

Simple thing.

Just shows you thier skills and knowledge of road rules.

Back in the day in Poland I had to attend 1 month theory classes and read memorize road laws book, then do 20h car driving with instructor before I was allowed to take a tough test that only me in my group of 10 passed.

I did thai licence too so I know how its done. Laugh really it was.

They are now planting Foxtail palms on that road in the central divider, looks like from from Sukhumvit junction as far as soi 5

I saw them the other day planting trees in the central reservation my immediate thought was why are they wasting money on that

when they should be fixing ( properly ) the road surface and lighting first.

Also saw a car on the roundabout with its front end smashed and an older pickup truck with back bumper hanging off a couple of meters off the roundabout.

Its quite dangerous to use the roundabout as stated in the highway code ie: give way to vehicles coming from the right already on the roundabout they either don't know or just ignore this roundabout rule.

Tour buses just hurtle straight on through without stopping, motorbikes stop on the roundabout waiting for cars to go first no one knows who has right of way chaos !!!

nearly as bad as Zebra crossings

Edited by johng

It actually works , even if Thais don't understand it they have to slow down . Just go with the flow, drive carefully and watch the other traffic, especially bikes.

Keep banging that drum. giggle.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

Think you will see 10 palm trees in the middle of it soon.

just to block your vision, to make it even more safer cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just a guess

Edited by onemorechang

They are now planting Foxtail palms on that road in the central divider, looks like from from Sukhumvit junction as far as soi 5

I saw them the other day planting trees in the central reservation my immediate thought was why are they wasting money on that

when they should be fixing ( properly ) the road surface and lighting first.

Also saw a car on the roundabout with its front end smashed and an older pickup truck with back bumper hanging off a couple of meters off the roundabout.

Its quite dangerous to use the roundabout as stated in the highway code ie: give way to vehicles coming from the right already on the roundabout they either don't know or just ignore this roundabout rule.

Tour buses just hurtle straight on through without stopping, motorbikes stop on the roundabout waiting for cars to go first no one knows who has right of way chaos !!!

nearly as bad as Zebra crossings

Just watch the video, shocking,

The roundabout is better than what was there before. It is an improvement. Not ideal, I suppose, but they are trying.

But what do we get on here? A thread which shows how superior it in the home countries of the posters. Barely disguised Thai bashing.

But this ain't your home country. This is Thailand and each and every one of us weighed up the pros and cons before we decided to settle here. Bad traffic, bad driving, poor road infrastructures in some places are, unfortunately one of the poorer aspects. We all knew about it before we put down roots here. Sitting behind your keyboard pontificating about other countries will have absolutely no effect on what happens here.

I'm sure City Hall will welcome all your improvement suggestions. I don't actually see many positive ideas in this thread, but I'd like to see some.

If you aren't too busy, that is

Make it the same as the junction up the road a bit

and the same as the rest of Thailand. ( it works )

The so many accidents at the junction before is a myth, no more than any other place in

Thailand.

BTW all that load you just dropped about other countries.

Is the roundabout a Thailand idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW the roundabout is there for the ever increasing amount of buses that are coming to Jomtien, so they can spin round easy and not at the U-turn junctions, but some still do that as well.

Edited by onemorechang

There is little point in installing a roundabout if they don't also install the signs instructing who has right of way. There need to be large Give Way to the Right signs on each entrance to the roundabout to at least give users who understandably have little or no experience of them a chance to go the right thing. To put in a roundabout in a country that isn't used to them and then give no guidance as to how to use it is ludicrous.

I haven't seen the junction since the roundabout was installed so if there are prominent signs I take back the aspersions I have so frivolously cast upon the local powers that be!

I much prefer the roundabout, I live on Soi Wat Boon and use it regularly.

I treat it as I would a roundabout in the UK, and won't proceed if there isn't clear space.

While on it I stay aware of approaching traffic from the linked roads and also the cars/bikes in front of me in case they stop.

It slows all the traffic down (including the busses) which used to tear down that stretch.

The nonsense I see at this roundabout is hilarious. cheesy.gif

Even had a motor-bike coming towards me / negotiating the roundabout the wrong way.

Why !! Why !! Why !!

And many a time, when I pull up at the roundabout, I have a Thai on a motor-bike waiting very politely to let me go 1st cheesy.gif which definitely is "not" Thai charactor.

There is little point in installing a roundabout if they don't also install the signs instructing who has right of way. There need to be large Give Way to the Right signs on each entrance to the roundabout to at least give users who understandably have little or no experience of them a chance to go the right thing. To put in a roundabout in a country that isn't used to them and then give no guidance as to how to use it is ludicrous.

I haven't seen the junction since the roundabout was installed so if there are prominent signs I take back the aspersions I have so frivolously cast upon the local powers that be!

Zero signs, so your right thumbsup.gif

Don't think they would care about reading them but

we all live in hope wai2.gif

I treat it as I would a roundabout in the UK, and won't proceed if there isn't clear space.

While on it I stay aware of approaching traffic from the linked roads and also the cars/bikes in front of me in case they stop.

It slows all the traffic down (including the busses) which used to tear down that stretch.

If you drive the same as the uk for the roundabout

you will have a very long wait. clap2.gif

Rarely waited more than a few seconds, suppose I would if their was a convoy of vans as I've seen elsewhere. Trucks and busses approach it slowly (thankfully) and are slow to accelerate once slowed.

Rarely waited more than a few seconds, suppose I would if their was a convoy of vans as I've seen elsewhere. Trucks and busses approach it slowly (thankfully) and are slow to accelerate once slowed.

A junction controlled by traffic lights requires the traffic to stop

and it does, even after the red light jumpers.

The traffic lights would work, Just the same as the rest of Thailand. thumbsup.gif

I don't disagree with that,

The traffic lights would work, Just the same as the rest of Thailand. thumbsup.gif

Agreed, lights would be better, as they have with the junction on So Chaiyapreuk, All I'm saying is the roundabout is an improvement on nothing as it slows the vehicles down.

I don't disagree with that,

Agreed, lights would be better, as they have with the junction on So Chaiyapreuk, All I'm saying is the roundabout is an improvement on nothing as it slows the vehicles down.

Exactly and that was also my point. Do not compare the roundabouts with normal traffic behavior that you used to in Europe. We all know the traffic is different here , as expats we know about the dangers and will be more careful in the roundabouts.

I agree that it's more important that the speed has been reduced on this stretch , much safer for both pedestrians walking to/from the beach and bicycles . As I said I use it daily and never seen any dangerous situations so far, even if Thais do not "understand" the roundabout the same way as westerners..

Exactly and that was also my point. Do not compare the roundabouts with normal traffic behavior that you used to in Europe. We all know the traffic is different here , as expats we know about the dangers and will be more careful in the roundabouts.

I agree that it's more important that the speed has been reduced on this stretch , much safer for both pedestrians walking to/from the beach and bicycles . As I said I use it daily and never seen any dangerous situations so far, even if Thais do not "understand" the roundabout the same way as westerners..

If you say so. w00t.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif