Who has the right of way on a Thai roundabout?

I know I'm asking the million dollar question as nobody observes any traffic rules in this country.

But it will make me feel better if I can adhere to the rules.

There was a thread back in 2009 and nobody out of 2 pages gave a definite answer.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/254277-roundabouts-in-los/

Does anybody really know?

I will appreciate your answers.

• Like 1

That question is on the Thai driving test with an illustration, and it is the same answer as in all other reasonable places in the world..., the problem is that in practice, Thai drivers are not often reasonable, so best answer is: Response #6 Ace of Pop, which is the way most Thais do it I've seen.

That question is on the Thai driving test with an illustration, and it is the same answer as in all other reasonable places in the world..., the problem is that in practice, Thai drivers are not often reasonable, so best answer is: Response #6 Ace of Pop, which is the way most Thais do it I've seen.

keemapoot, can you please be more specific?

What is the answer on the driving test?

Never obtained a Thai driving licence, so I don't know.

The law in the UK is the one on the roundabout, has the right of way.

Here I was told by 2 Thai drivers that the one going into the roundabout has the right of way.

I'm not asking what is reasonable, but what is the law in Thailand.

Many Thanks

• Like 2

Thai highway rule 15,

subsection 14 c

re: Road Circles

1/ first in first served

2/ if there's space, fill it

3/ unsure? sit and wait till no vehicle is within 50 meters.

never seen anything but these actions, so must be correct????

If cars entering the roundabout had right of way then the roundabout would jam pretty quickly if vehicles were entering from every side. Oh wait....

Yeah, and it gets worse. Motorbikes from all directions do as they please, large trucks always do as they please, including cutting everyone off and crossing the roundabout causing other motorists to slam on their brakes, and other forms of unpredictable chaos.... Normal life on the roads in Thailand.

This is "for sure" the correct procedure ...

Traffic, any vehicle, entering the roundabout must give way to any vehicle already on the roundabout. The general rule of " give way to traffic from the right" applies. Regardless of size, tonnage or quantity of wheels.

Unfortunately quite a lot of drivers are unaware of the rule. If you chose to drive only by that rule, you won't be driving very far.

Get yourself number 1 insurance and a dash cam, it's the best way to avoid claims against you.

• Like 1

Who ever is already on the roundabout has right of way. They recently replaced one in Buriram with traffic lights. I feel much better when I drive through there now.

Anyway, why do you want to know? Do you have the death wish?

I think that junction is actually safer now,

Traffic on the Jira road just treated it as a traffic cone and cars coming from Home Mart direction would never give way to traffic joining from the south.