Yamaha Grand Filano

bbz404

Hey all,

I'm currently riding around on a 2013 115cc Fino. Everyday around 15km to work and back in Bangkok traffic. We bought the bike at a repossessed bike motorcycle auction and it is absolutely unbeatable in maintenance and fuel cost. However, the riding quality could be better, especially at speeds around 70-80 km/h. I am an experienced rider from Germany and know that those scooters do not compare to any big bike you could drive. However, I greatly appreciate their practicality. I have extensively ridden my dad's PCX in Europe when I was there this summer and the bike is very nice, however, I fear a little too big to filter through traffic as easily as with my Fino. What I also don't appreciate is the lack of storage between the feet/legs.

Lately, I've seen a lot of the new Grand Filanos riding around and I have looked at some. What I like are the storage capability under the seat, the storage possibility between feet/legs and the fuel tank access under the left handlebar. As far as I know, it also features a 125cc engine compared to my 115cc.

I would like to know from some riders who have experience with this model how it compares to my current Fino? How does it handle at medium-high speeds? How about fuel efficiency and maintenance costs? Any other points worth mentioning?

First, I was settled on buying a repossessed PCX, but when I saw the price difference between PCX and Grand Filano, I started considering the Grand Filano. New, I think it can be had for around 48,000 Baht.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

All the best!

My MIL just bought one recently and I've been using it quite a bit. One tank of 4L if E20 fuel (100 baht) lasts 200 km. Top speed is upsetting at just below 100 kmh regardless of 125cc engine but it's a scooter and not a race bike. Under seat compartment is huge and you can stuff a big bag of dog food (rice etc) on a floor board between your legs. As a scooter to zip around and go shopping it's great and I don't know of any other scooters that can compare.

Can't comment on the maintenance cost as it's probably on its 3rd tank of fuel at the moment, but I can say that the front suspension is junk and the front break is weak even though it's a disk break. The rear break is a lot snappier. I actually thing that it may be this particular bike with some break defect or an air bubble in the line. I was going to purge the front break but it's not easy to get to the reservoir as some plastic need to come off first. Well maybe the next time I'm in moo ban.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Shurup. I have purchased the Grand Filano today without hassles. I haven't ridden much but I think the handling is slightly better than with the Fino. And due to more weight distributed lower, it seems more stable. Will have to test on daily commute though.

The front brake as it is now is very weak. I hope it's just die to the new pads not broken in yet. If it stays like this it is unacceptable to have a front break this weak. The fino break is much much stronger and I don't see why there should be a difference.

• 3 months later...

The front brake as it is now is very weak. I hope it's just die to the new pads not broken in yet. If it stays like this it is unacceptable to have a front break this weak. The fino break is much much stronger and I don't see why there should be a difference.

I've just bought a new Filano and am pleased with the bike but the front brake does seem weak, certainly compared to other bikes i've ridden. Is this usual on Filanos or just because my bike is new.

Edited by Henryford

Sound like after-the-car-wash syndrome.

Wax on rotors.

a. Alcohol on rag to clean.

b. Then ride around while braking firmly.

Test, and repeat if necessary.

Ready to race....

or maybe just 'b.'.

that would be super easy.

Edited by papa al