Can't open Bank account. So, how do I apply for retirement visa without a bank account?

1. You didn't give your location; doing so may help you get replies from those with local knowledge. In general, banks in areas with many foreigners are more receptive.

2. Do you have any bank account anywhere in Thailand now ? If so, it is generally easier to open another one at a different branch of the same bank than it is to approach a bank where you have never dealt before.

3. If you are presently outside of Thailand, check Bangkok Bank's website. I recall them having some procedure to open accounts for those in your position who are not yet in the country.

There have been several reports of banks saying they require a WP. That is nonsense and your best recourse is to try different banks or branches of the same bank, preferably ones in a tourist area where they are familiar with the needs of foreigners. 2nd option, get the phone number of the central office of the bank you are applying for and if the bank says WP needed, call the head office and inform them of the issue.

Not sure what others will say, but you don't need a work permit to open an account.

Go to a main branch, not one in a mall. tell them you called head office and they told you no work permit was needed, ask to see a supervisor. Kbank and SCB are the best. they might insist on a certificate of residence which you can get from immigration

PS Edit

Go on live chat here and ask

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/ContactUs/Pages/personal.aspx

Edited by bartender100
  • Like 1

K Bank in Silom refused me a new bank account even though I had an account with them already after about a hour of sitting at one of there desk and talking to 3 different people even talking to the head office I think that they realised that I was not going to move until they gave me another account they gave me a new account

I understand you OP. when I first came here I was trying to open same. Even though I had a Thai gf with me that managers an office and fluent English. I kept getting asked for work permit. I was trying to explain that I'm retired. Anyway went to several. Eventually went to main office of big light blue bank. In Shukumvit just down from soi 3 .......no problems. I did have to sign form that I accepted zero interest on my 1 million baht.

Geez thailand

• Like 1

There have been several reports of banks saying they require a WP. That is nonsense and your best recourse is to try different banks or branches of the same bank, preferably ones in a tourist area where they are familiar with the needs of foreigners. 2nd option, get the phone number of the central office of the bank you are applying for and if the bank says WP needed, call the head office and inform them of the issue.

Here is number to Kasikorn Bank for English language 02 888 8800

Do not even try the Ayudya phone line , you will tear your hair out the fifth time you are hung up on either because you cannot understand the (alleged) English voice menu prompts, " Pwease Pwess Pwarghh " or you will not even get that far.

• Like 2

I suspect you are talking about a retirement extension of stay rather than the non immigrant O-A visa issued for retirement (which does not require funds to be in a Thai bank)?

Really? I thought 800,000 was needed to even get the initial visa. Sorry to get OT but what is needed for initial visa May be an option for my need of 90 more days.

I have the opposite problem. Another branch asked if I wanted another account with higher interest and said they could open it right away. Then on another visit they asked if I wanted a credit card and told me it would be useful for booking hotels in Thailand. Then when my gf opened an account at a different bank they asked me if I wanted an account as well. I'm not even asking, but keep getting offers.

^ I have quite the horror story about trying to get a credit card. Complete waste of time getting called back into the branch no less than 4 times. Took so long my WP expired and that was the 5th visit. Then after it was all submitted, within 24 hours-refused. They never did give me a reason in writing as I wasted more time requesting, then of course I wasted more time trying to make a complaint about my first and second wastes of time. Arghhh.

IN BANGKOK...I have been in five different branches of Bangkok Bank, two different KBanks. Same line from all - I need a work permit to open an account

This is Thailand. There is no law or rule that says you must have a work permit to open a bank account, but employees who don't know their job, don't want to make a mistake. don't want to deal with foreigners, and managers of branches who foster these attitudes will present difficulties or make up "rules" that don't exist, often saying "just came in this year". The latest excuse is "just introduced by military government".

None of this is true. As everyone is telling you, different branches will say different things, at different times or even if you talk to a different person in the same bank. I opened an account several years ago at the Kasikorn branch at Sukhumvit Soi 33 near Phrom Phong BTS station, using only a passport, a lease, and a non O visa. No mention was made of a work permit, A week later someone posted on this forum that they had gone to the same branch , that same week, and was refused an account because he didn't have a work permit. You have to get used to this.

In practical terms there is a very clear list of accounts open to foreigners with short term visas and no work permits on the Bangkok Bank website:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/default.aspx

Read it thoroughly for the documents you require. Possibly the easiest and the best to get is a letter from your Embassy , saying " this is X , a citizen of Y, who has indicated that he lives at Z. Please assist him to open a bank account". This will cost something, but how much is it worth for you to be able to open an account?

With this and the other documents the page details go to the biggest Bangkok Bank branch you can, preferably the Head Office in Silom Road as Ubonjoe suggests, and ask to open a savings account. Have the phone number of the English speaking Bangkok Bank customer assistance line ready to phone if problems escalate and communicate through them with the staff dealing with you. Be calm, smiling and polite.

If not successful there all you can do is go to a series of different branches, concentrating on full branches, not ones in shopping malls, and try again. When you have tried five separate branches of five different banks, then you can truly say you can't open an account.

Get used to this kind of inconsistency if you are considering living here for an extended period or it will drive you crazy,

EDITED: changed links to more recent versions

Edited by partington

There used to be a member of this site that worked for BKK Bank. I am sure he posted an excerpt from BKK Bank's website (in English) that stated requirements for opening an account with them. A work permit was not a requirement.

It might be worth searching on BKK Bank's website for it, and printing it off, and taking it to a branch.

I actually opened an account once using the name of the hotel I was staying in at the time.

There used to be a member of this site that worked for BKK Bank. I am sure he posted an excerpt from BKK Bank's website (in English) that stated requirements for opening an account with them. A work permit was not a requirement.

It might be worth searching on BKK Bank's website for it, and printing it off, and taking it to a branch.

Ubonjoe posted a link earlier - http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

I suspect you are talking about a retirement extension of stay rather than the non immigrant O-A visa issued for retirement (which does not require funds to be in a Thai bank)?

Really? I thought 800,000 was needed to even get the initial visa. Sorry to get OT but what is needed for initial visa May be an option for my need of 90 more days.

A person applies for an "O-A" Visa in their home country, if applying for an "O"(Not the same thing!) at a neighboring country, etc. they may ask for the money to be in a Thai bank.

As to can't open an account, hundreds of posts, and even a Pinned Topic, in the Jobs, Economy Section, unfortunate people can't be bothered to read, and use the search function.

I arrived a few years ago on an ED visa. Many banks refused me until I got a Thai to explain a bank account can be opened using the ED. It wasn't an easy process.

What is their problem when you want to deposit 800k?!? It's not like we're asking for an overdraft or anything!

One thing that Bangkok Bank mentions is a "letter of recommendation". The Kad Suan Kaew branch is a sponsor of the Chiang Mai Expats Club and if members need to open accounts to transfer funds in for their initial retirement visa requirements, there is no problem with this branch for club members. Bangkok Bank personnel come to the monthly General Meetings of the club to meet with members and perspective new retirees to explain how to open an account and other Bangkok Bank benefits, such as their personal accident insurance policy, which gives covers up to age 100 without exclusion for pre-existing conditions.

• Like 2

Irrelevant what you wear unless your naked of course nothing wrong with t shirt and shorts not only feranges wear t shirt and shorts to bank

Yes, I know that. But make the effort for the first visit and maybe one of the staff will make the effort to help. Same the world over.

• Like 2

Not in a Thai bank. The equivalent of minimum THB 800k can be in a bank in any part of the world.