Steak

winle

Im an o.k cook, i can cook some thai dish's and most english one's too, problem is i cant cook a steak, i dont know why but it always comes out horrible,

i always cut of the fat smash the shit out of it with a hammer and then fry in vegitable oil, i like to eat steak rare, but i always burn the out side and inside is totaly raw, even if i slow cook it it just goes rock hard,

is there a secret im missing when frying steak any tips would help

cheers

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you use local beef then you get what you deserve. Always select Aus or NZ beef with some visible marbling (fat). Salt and pepper and pan fry on low heat.

Try chopping up an onion and some garlic and saute in tbbl spoon oil first. Then add steak salt and pepper and arrange the veges on top and cook slowly covered. Turn over and cook for another 2 minutes. Remember to buy HP or whatever sauce you use when at the market.

you can slice up and stir fry steak with whatever good lookin' veges are on offer at the market. Freeze the meat slightly so you can easily obtain 1/4 inch slices. Onion and garlic first with tbbl spoon oil in a wok then add the sliced meat salt and pepper and brown...throw in the veges last stir fry for a bit and coat the entire mess with oyster sauce (the bottle with the big thai mama on the label - 'big mama sauce') stir and simmer briefly (not too long...keep the veges crunchy). Serve with rice. One steak can feed two.

Chef tutsi...

Barbecued Steak

6 lean rump steaks 1cm thick

3 onions, finely sliced

1 cup red wine

1/2 cup olive oil

1 clove garlic, crushed

2 tsp grated ginger

To make the marinade, place wine, oil, garlic and ginger in a bowl and mix to combine.

Place the steaks in a shallow dish and pour marinade over, cover, and marinate at room temperature for 2 - 3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.

Cook onions on a lightly oiled barbecue plate or in a lightly oiled frying pan on the barbecue for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden. Preheat barbecue to a medium heat. Drain steaks and cook on a lightly oiled barbecue grill for 3 - 5 minutes on

each side or until cooked to your liking.

Barbecued Steak

6 lean rump steaks 1cm thick

3 onions, finely sliced

1 cup red wine

1/2 cup olive oil

1 clove garlic, crushed

2 tsp grated ginger

To make the marinade, place wine, oil, garlic and ginger in a bowl and mix to combine.

Place the steaks in a shallow dish and pour marinade over, cover, and marinate at room temperature for 2 - 3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.

Cook onions on a lightly oiled barbecue plate or in a lightly oiled frying pan on the barbecue for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden. Preheat barbecue to a medium heat. Drain steaks and cook on a lightly oiled barbecue grill for 3 - 5 minutes on

each side or until cooked to your liking.

2-3 hours or overnight. A bit long but made me salivating, anyway.

Maybe it is the wine part,... :o

you got to remember that any red plonk in thailand will cost 2-300 baht...seems a shame to waste in a marinade...

also got to remember that most local cooking arrangements are stove top unless you have a customized kitchen with a grill and etc.

Now, bluecat...I want supplication and your public declaration that my suggestions are superior to tiz-me

you got to remember that any red plonk in thailand will cost 2-300 baht...seems a shame to waste in a marinade...

I actually do not eat steak in Thailand and even more seldom do I drink wine.

But it does not mean I do not miss it,...

I'll try both recipes and keep you posted,... :o

don't know the supplier and not all cuts are good but i've had fillets from a swiss restaurant in soi diamond in pattaya and chateaubriand from el toro in pattaya they were very good.

nevertheless i've had some right s**t steaks here also.

the best one i've had in thailand was in papa johns hua hin

dont forget to "seal" it both sides, a good steak is only turned over 3 times - then leave it for 5 miutes to let the juices relax, before you cut! - very tender?

Next week, how to make a good spag bol, with no meat :o:D

(p.s. were you the "person" who couldnt cook a potatoe?)

also got to remember that most local cooking arrangements are stove top unless you have a customized kitchen with a grill and etc.

Hence

or in a lightly oiled frying pan on the barbecue

I bring the Red Ned in duty free when I come. The GFs dont like wine so if I can manage to put at least one cup into the cooking then my head feels just a little better the next day.

i also had steak in hua hin last week, both were thai beef and both were superb, no sauce though just medium rare.

with english mustard

pray tell me where did you get decent steak in Hua Hin I want to try it.

it was the first time i've ever been to hua hin but it was called papa johns and it was opposite sofitel railway hotel. not the best ever but certainly the best i've had in thailand.

.... use low heat...

Actually you want just the opposite.

Any good steakhouse will describe "rare" as hot outside and red,cool center.

The only way to get rare done correctly is to have a very hot flame and grill, in excess of 1000 degF.

This will sear the outside of the steak, sealing in all of the juices. Then it's all a matter of long to cook depending on the size of the steak.

Hope this helps ...

Spee

(likes his dead cow flesh medium rare) :o

sorry, Spee...it don't help...who's got the high temp arrangement that you describe in their kitchen in order to seal the juices? In general, who has a nice patio available for a proper bbq? Not most folks, I would surmise.

As with the elusive solution to the most mundane problems the secret is KISS (keep it simple, stupid)

It is nice to have a heavy cast iron skillet for these purposes...wal-mart $10 special on sale in a kitchen boutique in BKK for 2k baht...

A friend told me this and it appears to work to some extent.

Buy the whole fillet and refrigerate covered for at least 6 days marinating in it’s own blood. Cut it crosswise into 2” (or whatever) thick steaks and then freeze what you don’t need immediately. There is then no need to beat the sh1t out of it before frying/grilling. It’s not as good as you would get back home but it’s half decent.

Given the price of fillet here (when you can get it), I use it for all beef dishes whether it be chili con carne, beef stew (it’s cold here in winter) or just plain steaks.

Jayenram,, Right, we buy the whole fillets here in the village from the lady that sells beef in the market,leave em in the fridge for a week and cook on high heat on the small charcoal broiler bought in the market for 100 baht.and turns out as well as you would expect Thai beef to be,Don't have to much trouble getting the dog to eat em.

Spee, You have it right,good beef steak has to have a fat marble,cook on med high charcoal very fast ,a 1 1/2 inch steak should come off rare/med rare at 6 minutes on each side,with a little charring and still be red in the middle,,slow cooking of beef tends to dry and toughen good beef.In good resturants I always order "charred and Rare" as far as pan broiling or frying,seems to me the best way to ###### up a good beef steak. Thats the way my dad cooked them,,biught the best beef around,came home ,hung up his calks and then proceded to ruin good meat for supper.sometimes kinda missed a woman around. coarse most of them don't know how to cook a steak either. :o

Some of my tips.

1. Yes, the others are right, you grill it. Do not fry 'the shit out of it'. If you don't have an oven in your condo/house you can buy a toaster/grill oven for just a couple of thousand well-spent baht at Tesco, etc. Great for croissants, salmon, etc, too

2. You grill it about 5-7 min each side at 250C for med-rare

3. You can buy very good fillet steak from Villa but it's pang mak, about 750 B per kilo. Sometimes Big C has fillet but you have to ask the guy behind the counter, since they have to fetch it from the big fridge. The fillet steak from Big C is about ONE-THIRD the price, and you would not know the difference. But it's hit and miss cause most Thais only know one word for beef - neua, and haven't the foggiest idea about cuts of meat. The local stuff is just as good as Aussie steak (which ain't that great anyhow). The trick is to look for beef that has marbley fat in the middle as this is generally the best. The bright red stuff with no fat in the middle is shoe leather.

4. Finally, if you live in BKK, forget cooking and go to Steak One on Soi Nana (Soi 4) across from the Bus Stop Pub. Fillet or Pepper Steak is 230 Baht with fries or mash and veg (price just went up from an unbelievable 190B). Bring your own wine, corkage 200B. Bon apetit.

One gargles it as the meat cooks Axel,  :D
Dr PP...you are a disgrace to vin rouge ordinaire...

Dr. gargle? You do this only with a Clos du Klong Saeng Saep.

The OZ way of BYO is not bad, so you know what you have and wether to gargle or not to gargle.

In the USA you have a steak and wash it down with a bottle of red wine :o

The vin rouge ordinaire, I hear, is served at extra-ordinaire prices in French places like the Moulin Rouge :D

The Steak~

Get a food thermometer, then use the guide below (in fahrenheit) to cook until the internal temperature is right for you.

Once steaks are well browned on both sides, cook at lower heat; continue cooking to desired doneness, 5 to 6 more minutes for rare (120 degrees), 6 to 7 minutes for medium-rare on the rare side (125 degrees), 7 to 8 more minutes for medium-rare on the medium side (130 degrees), or 8 to 9 more minutes for medium (135 to 140 degrees). Let steaks rest 5 minutes, then serve immediately.

Conversion to Celsius: Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32)

Jeepz

Jeepz;;just where in thailand did you find a meat thermo?

I looked all over the country and cant find one. and I never needed one for a steak anyway,coarse I like mine real rare,,ya know,Knock the horns off,wipe it's ass and get it in here.

Jeepz, I think you got a problen here. The last thermometer my wife did find in Zurich (CH)

If you cannot provide shops in LOS, you better pack some into your container.

Maybe you can open a business.

Jeepz;;just where in thailand did you find a meat thermo?

I looked all over the country and cant find one. and I never needed one for a steak anyway,coarse I like mine real rare,,ya know,Knock the horns off,wipe it's ass and get it in here.

Check Virasu. It's a kitchen store on Wireless. If you're walking up Wireless from the "meeting" at Ruam Rudee :o it's just past the Conrad on that side of the street.

thermometers are good for calibrating your oven if you got one. People like them for cooking turkeys...never seen one in Thailand...(filthy heathens...how does one have proper Thanksgiving dinner in the Land of Slants?)

tutsi wants to offend...he wants to do damage!!!

KevinN~

Mine is from USA (where I currently reside putting in the last couple of years to retire).

JoeBuzzard~

Do you have an address for Virasu? Next time I'm in BKK I need to visit there to get a feel for what I is available in Thailand for aspiring food-slingers. Thanks!

Tutsi~

Hmm, oven thermometer (for regulating oven temp) is a bit different than food thermometer for checking food's internal temp. I have one of each, but am saving my bucks to buy the really good food thermometer: Thermapen

Jeepz