Your first memory of attending a proper football match

smokie36

So my first "proper" game was a Raith Rovers game...yes yes my old man is a local lad from there.

Was against the mighty Partick Thistle...think I must have been six at the time.

Through the turnstiles....up onto the terraces....the first thing I noticed was the corrugated fence at the back which had local kids pouring into it having crossed the main East Coast train line to get in free.

That corrugated fence got battered for 90 mins in a sad parody of the Brazilian drums. laugh.png

Standing halfway down and wanting to go to the front....but being held back by the wiser years of my old man....could see why by half time as the whole front terrace was covered in piss by then.

The whiff of whisky and unwashed Fifers watching their rotten team get turned over by the Glaswegians....in both play and witty banter on the terraces was frightening to watch.

I don't think I ever got the pie grease stain out of my t-shirt but who cared?.....this was the '70's and everyone was going mental.

The old boy asked me as we trudged home if I liked it.....wasn't too impressed when I asked if we could stand in the away end next time. tongue.png

So what's your first memory folks....don't be shy....(I'm hoping mrboj first game was at OT. biggrin.png )

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First game, Stockport County v Plymouth in 1992

3-0 win for County.

First game my Dad took me to. I was only young and just remember the crowd seemed so loud, even though there was probably only about 3,000 there.

Sat in wooden seats in the main stand.

Still have the match program at home.

Anyway, that was the start and been a County fan ever since, through the few good times and all the bad times.

3-0 win for County.

First game my Dad took me to. I was only young and just remember the crowd seemed so loud, even though there was probably only about 3,000 there.

Anyway, that was the start and been a County fan ever since, through the few good times and all the bad times.

Seats!!!

Well posh lad lol

Liverpool 2 Newcastle 0

I was 6 or 7. We went in the Kemlyn Road stand and I remember a flat capped fella in front shouting a lot. I think Kevin Keegan scored.

Confession time.

Im an Evertonian!!! I just wanted to see a footy match and the old man got tickets for the Red Sh-te as they were home on my birthday.

My next game.....

Everton 4- Newcastle 4.

Bob Latchford (boyhood hero) scored twice. I learnt to shout "P-ss off Ref".

This is the game I count as my first.

By the way, my old man is Preston North End.

3-0 win for County.

Seats!!!

Well posh lad lol

First time anyone from Stockport has ever been described as posh!

1952 wales vs spain ninian park.

de-stefano,gento,santa maria,[spain]

john charles,ivor allchurch.terry medwin,jack kelsy.

i was right behind the spanish goal when ivor scored a 25yarder.but that was beat by a 40yarder that beat kelsy all ends up.

score 1-2.crying.gif

An AFL game well it was called the VFL then and yes it's football related only about 10 years old Collingwood away to Essendon, big game and crowed early 60's around 20,000 went with my mate a mad bomber supporter all I saw because I was to short were the backs of a mass of red and black, no idea who won as I don't follow either but...in later years I had to endure 16 years straight of my club getting pumped on that ground, won the very last time we played there before the bombers moved to better quarters.

3-0 win for County.

I used to be one of those City fans who regularly used to go along to County's friday night games in the 70s...they even had the occasional star playing for them then like Buzzer andBestie if I rremember correctly.

I don't know who we played in my first few games. I've got this feeling that we played Forest and Ian Storey-Moore was carried off.

My earliest memory though of going to Maine Road in the late 60s was walking along the streets and ginnels, with this crowd of adults towering above me my older brother, the lovely smell of someone in front smoking a pipe, and then we came around the corner of the terraced housing and there was this big stand and car park (the kippax stand) and the sound of chanting...all implanted in my memory.

The earliest City event I can remember from a game I attended, and I've since seen the video, was Joe Corrigan City's goalkeeper kicking the ball long out of his hands and a WHU player in his own half volleyed the ball straight in to our unattended goal. That and Greavsie scored on his WHU debut as he did on all his debuts.

3-0 win for County.

I used to be one of those City fans who regularly used to go along to County's friday night games in the 70s...they even had the occasional star playing for them then like Buzzer andBestie if I rremember correctly.

And you're from Bredbury by the looks of things. Small world.

In 1957, I was 10 at the time, my father took myself and my younger brother to see the local team, Forres Mechanics, play Celtic. It was in February and it rained all afternoon, put me off football for life. Forres got beat 5-0.

Me too around the same time probably, but different teams.

1952 wales vs spain ninian park.

de-stefano,gento,santa maria,[spain]

john charles,ivor allchurch.terry medwin,jack kelsy.

i was right behind the spanish goal when ivor scored a 25yarder.but that was beat by a 40yarder that beat kelsy all ends up.

score 1-2.crying.gif

'kin hell mate, how old are you? amazing seeing those legends in the flesh though like.

first ever match was (i think) northwich victoria against witton albion at the drill field in about 1981. first liverpool match was 1984, lech poznan at anfield in the european cup on a wednesday night. won 4-0 and johnny wark scored a hat-trick.

It was the early 60's We used to go to the coast and rent the same caravan for the same 2 weeks every year, the same family rented next door

and the son was a young footballer playing for coventry city by the Name of george curtis remember him as a nice guy,, until i got scared he's find

out his sister was the first girl i ever kissed !!! so when we went back to london made the old man take me to his next game in london which was v

millwall, As he came off at th end of the game can remember shouting to him and him coming over and having a chat.

Dad took me to our local Southend-united (The shrimpers)

We used to listern to the scores on the radio on Saturdays----thats when everyone kicked off at 3 pm.

I think I was about 5 years old before I realised their name wasn't Southend united nil.

My first games were over the styles with my father at Firhill , early 70's although the football match that is most memorable and truly had me enthralled and terrified at the same time was Scotland vs Argentina at Hampden Park. There was pipe bands and the hope that goes with a big build up, 1~3 was the score . Maradonna as a youngster scored his first international goal that game .

I was at the uncovered "celtic " end with my old Dad and it was a scorching day , I was about 8 years old . The Scotland fans were nuts and it was throwing bog rolls down the terraces and steamimg drunkards gallore scarry stuff , couldn't take my eyes of the crowd .

The first football match I attended was at my local Rugby Union FOOTBALL Club (R.U.F.C.). A code of football (Origin: 22 June 1871 which like Association Football (Soccer is an abbreviation of the word Association) (Origin: October 1863), is derived from original Prober Football (Origin: 28 August 1845, and is still played today). I have only seen Original Football on the T.V.when played by English public schools. The first Association Football match I attended was when my eldest brother took me to see Sir Stanley Mathews play for Stoke against Swansea.

I read that someone stated that this topic is only for AF, soccer, but I came across it under the general topics.

With regard to the OP, and possible Trol, stating the term Proper football, then may I add that this term is a matter of opinion, and opinions are like a**eholes, as everyone has one. It's just a pity that some people are one.

The first football match I attended was at my local Rugby Union FOOTBALL Club (R.U.F.C.). A code of football (Origin: 22 June 1871 which like Association Football (Soccer is an abbreviation of the word Association) (Origin: October 1863), is derived from original Prober Football (Origin: 28 August 1845, and is still played today). I have only seen Original Football on the T.V.when played by English public schools. The first Association Football match I attended was when my eldest brother took me to see Sir Stanley Mathews play for Stoke against Swansea.

I read that someone stated that this topic is only for AF, soccer, but I came across it under the general topics.

With regard to the OP, and possible Trol, stating the term Proper football, then may I add that this term is a matter of opinion, and opinions are like a**eholes, as everyone has one. It's just a pity that some people are one.

Got it in one!biggrin.png

Back on topic...Oul fella took me to one LFC game (Honved in Cup Winners Cup) and one EFC (Wolves in FA Cup). His paternal duties over, he left me to decide! St John and Lawler scored against Honved....havent a clue what the score was in the other game but I reckon I made the right choicebiggrin.png

Dad took me to our local Southend-united (The shrimpers)

We used to listern to the scores on the radio on Saturdays----thats when everyone kicked off at 3 pm.

I think I was about 5 years old before I realised their name wasn't Southend united nil.

Off topic but Top of the Town or was it South..?

Friendliest nightclub girls ever...what a night...it snowed heavily too lol!

My first matches were to see Chelsea reserves at the Bridge in early 1954 and I remember lots of people crowding round the door to the office after the match waiting for the guy to get off the phone and come out to tell everyone the result of the first team's match, no tranny radios in those days let alone mobile phones.

But my first big match that I can remember was Chelsea v Cardiff 4th September 1954, and, yes, I too was lifted over the turnstiles so my dad could split the admission fee (1/- for me) with the turnstile operator. The match was a draw 1-1 with Jim Lewis scoring a late equaliser for Chelsea. A much bigger match just a few weeks later, Chelsea 5 Man U 6 with Dennis Viollet, Duncan Edwards, etc., the same day that Jimmy Greaves was discovered by Chelsea's talent scout Jimmy Thompson.

Archived