Up and coming Neighborhood.

Strangebrew

I read an article here a while back about Phrakanong being an up and coming neighborhood, well happy to report we don't have a Starbucks, Mickey D's, Burger King, NANA plaza or Soi cowboy. Do have street vendors for food none for all the knockoff gear crowded sidewalks and thank god ladyboys bugging you. But much to my surprise we do have a bar or two couple restaurant's One being Japanese which I might add has awesome food better than most around the tourist area got couple coffee shops and a short walk Teddy's burgers artsy fartsy place Just finished building the Room condos looking for buyers and about ready to break ground on new one soon to rise. Now with Thong Lo food stalls closing down at years end maybe a move this way looks on order. Do have hookers a few any way , Less police looking an extra baht. Could use a few more bars with pool tables so local expat's and Thai's could enjoy without the tourists ruining things. But other than that nice to be able to go out for a walk without looking over your shoulder at night. Thank god rents are cheaper too.

Edited by Strangebrew

"I read an article here a while back about Phrakanong being an up and coming neighborhood, well happy to report we don't have a Starbucks, Mickey D's, Burger King, NANA plaza or Soi cowboy."

It's a particularly downmarket area which would explain the lack of some of those places, athough McDonald's is there, I think, confirming it's down-at-heel persona.

Phra Khanong is not the suburbs - it's "midtown". Having lived here 8 years it is certainly being gentrified with a big new development planned for the Rama 4/Sukhumvit intersection. I can't see Nana/Cowboy bars here though. We're too arty and cool for that.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

I have lived in Prakanong district for 30 years and I have seen the changes it has gone through. It has gone through some quite drastic changes in the last 8 or so years and I envisage further changes. While it used to be considered the suburbs, it is definitely not the suburbs now. There used to be cheapo departments stores there - ASEAN, Welco and ATM, and Thai Daimaru - a bit more upscale, but all now long gone. There were some very large Suki restaurants but they have also fallen by the wayside. There was a Dunkin Donuts also now gone. The cinemas were razed with only one remaining, which is really just blow job central or at least it used to be - it may have since closed. The fresh food market is nothing compared what it used to be.

There is a better choice of evening/night entertainment now, although limited to W District and a couple of high rise bars. Luckily it is not yet very expensive. There are also many more restaurants than there used to be. My old favorite being Telephone which closed years ago.

I see Prakanong changing greatly over the next few years as more condos go up and increasing numbers of people with money to spare start moving in. You will see the Indians and Nepalese moving further out to Samrong or Prapadaeng and a lot of the street side buildings razed for new developments. The commercial buildings that are divided up into cheap flats for workers will try to go more upscale and the workers will move out to less expensive environs.

Garry, remember those dep't stores well, wiped out by the Tom Yam Gung fiasco of 1997.

Used to eat breakfast in Dunkin Donuts years ago.

Yes sadly the market is a shadow of its former self.

My snooker hall at soi 29 has long since moved to Pattanakarn.

At least at the Klong Tan end of Pridi it still retains some of its former charm.

The traffic is the killer on that soi.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I agree with one of the posters...basically follow the BTS/MRT....I've seen the play on mass transit work in many markets. Those areas also weather downturns better. What you save by not having a car is generally given back to the landlords n higher rent. However, a car is often the fourth or fifth best way to get around parts of BKK.

I have lived in Prakanong district for 30 years and I have seen the changes it has gone through. It has gone through some quite drastic changes in the last 8 or so years and I envisage further changes. While it used to be considered the suburbs, it is definitely not the suburbs now. There used to be cheapo departments stores there - ASEAN, Welco and ATM, and Thai Daimaru - a bit more upscale, but all now long gone. There were some very large Suki restaurants but they have also fallen by the wayside. There was a Dunkin Donuts also now gone. The cinemas were razed with only one remaining, which is really just blow job central or at least it used to be - it may have since closed. The fresh food market is nothing compared what it used to be.

There is a better choice of evening/night entertainment now, although limited to W District and a couple of high rise bars. Luckily it is not yet very expensive. There are also many more restaurants than there used to be. My old favorite being Telephone which closed years ago.

I see Prakanong changing greatly over the next few years as more condos go up and increasing numbers of people with money to spare start moving in. You will see the Indians and Nepalese moving further out to Samrong or Prapadaeng and a lot of the street side buildings razed for new developments. The commercial buildings that are divided up into cheap flats for workers will try to go more upscale and the workers will move out to less expensive environs.

Official Secrets Act rgs?

I'm going to have to report you to M over this.