Making International calls on cell phone (1 2 call)

sunoco27

I am looking for a good price and a cheap minute rate to call America.

I now have 1 2 call and I was wondering if they had an affordable way to make International calls.

Skype would be the best, but I do not have a credit card to buy Skype minutes.

Does anyone have a good idea?

Thank You

If you have 1 2 call: Dial 00500 then the country code for USA which is 1, then the area code like normal. 1 baht a minute pretty clear signal. I use it all the time. 1 2 call has a website about it someplace. rates vary by country but USA is 1 baht a minute. Comes out to about 1 dollar for a 10 minute call. In fact I have 00500 together with my USA numbers stored in my cell phone so I can dial direct from my address list just like a local call.

CAT - Get a CAT CARD - it used to be 1 baht per minute to USA - I think it might be a bit more expensive now but you can ask skype, computer to computer is free video calls too, free it is only when you want to call into a mobile or land line that there is a fee...

Do you know the fee? I was told 1 penny a minute as mine is based on a Canadian credit card. I call both Canada and the United States.

I used to use AIS and I believe it worked out to about 5 baht a minute when I called 0091 before the number.

Edited by northernjohn

If you have 1 2 call: Dial 00500 then the country code for USA which is 1, 1 baht a minute pretty clear signal. Rates vary by country but USA is 1 baht a minute. Comes out to about 1 dollar for a 10 minute call.

So there's a 90 cents connection charge?

That is a good question. No, no connection charge that I could see. But I lied earlier, its 3 baht a minute. 10 minutes IS about 30 baht, or one US dollar. But it is 3 baht a minute, not 1 baht. Sorry.

But the first time I called, I checked my balance (pay as you go plan) called the USA, and checked the time against my new balance. It was very close, if their was a connection charge it was only 1 baht or so.

Here is the link where you can look up any country for this service. The rates vary dramatically from country to country. http://www.ais.co.th/00500/en/service-rate.aspx

If you have 1 2 call: Dial 00500 then the country code for USA which is 1, 1 baht a minute pretty clear signal. Rates vary by country but USA is 1 baht a minute. Comes out to about 1 dollar for a 10 minute call.

So there's a 90 cents connection charge?

Great math Peter. Be careful at the money changer.

I wish someone would provide more details on how to make free calls to the US using a Hangout addon with Chrome. What I found was Thailand was listed as one of the countries this service was not available.

I had been using a VOIP program which provided cheap and clear calls using phone to phone but their service has recently gone downhill and I need to find another source to replace them.

Well, having taken the advice to 'Google' Google Hangouts--it turns out that, as someone suggested--Hangouts is NOT available in Thailand--so, it seems this is not a viable option--I shall stick to Skype.

You can use it from Thailand to call America for free (landlines and mobile), but you can't call numbers within Thailand for free.

Oh, I stand corrected- so outgoing calls to other countries from Thailand are working. That's worth a look.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Incoming calls too, it's just that people calling you will dial a US number rather than a Thai number. This is especially useful when dealing with US financial institutions because unless you tell them otherwise they will think that you are in the US. Edited by suzannegoh

Well, having taken the advice to 'Google' Google Hangouts--it turns out that, as someone suggested--Hangouts is NOT available in Thailand--so, it seems this is not a viable option--I shall stick to Skype.

it most certainly is.. Perhaps you are confusing the 'voice out' feature which is only in the USA. It works just fine 'from'here.. Calling 'to'the USA.

Hangouts has taken over for me from skype, far more powerful and integrated into my phones and desktop.. Multi person video conferencing also much better

Oh, I stand corrected- so outgoing calls to other countries from Thailand are working. That's worth a look.

Incoming calls too, it's just that people calling you will dial a US number rather than a Thai number. This is especially useful when dealing with US financial institutions because unless you tell them otherwise they will think that you are in the US.
However it might be necessary to lie to Google during the sign-up process as they might not want to assign you a US telephone number unless you are a US resident. So best to use a VPN when signing up be prepared to lie about where you live. Edited by suzannegoh

Incoming calls too, it's just that people calling you will dial a US number rather than a Thai number. This is especially useful when dealing with US financial institutions because unless you tell them otherwise they will think that you are in the US.

That aspect of google voice is a lot harder to set up.. You need a USA based google account which is non trivial to establish.

I wish they would implement google voice globally, even if I have to pay for it. I need to set up some inbound calling numbers through Europe and would love to keep it all in google.

That aspect of google voice is a lot harder to set up.. You need a USA based google account which is non trivial to establish.

I wish they would implement google voice globally, even if I have to pay for it. I need to set up some inbound calling numbers through Europe and would love to keep it all in google.

Perphaps non-trivial but once setup it makes Skype, Vonage, Magic Jack, etc as relevent as Lotus 123.

I'm not totally sure that I understand the analogy (being a limey!!) but, I guess that means that these others become much less attractive?

Maybe I should have said as as obsolete as a Sinclair computer. Only problem that I've encountered with Google Voice (or whatever they call it now) is poor sound quality on calls from Thailand to other countries in SE Asia. Skype seems to be much better for that. I'm not sure the reason for that, but I suspect that it might be because if you have a US-based google account that your calls from Thailand to Singapore (for instance) will get routed to the US and then back to Singapore instead of directly from Thailand to Singapore. Maybe that will improve as google adds more servers worldwide.