Phuket airport drill recreates crash landing realism

webfact

Phuket airport drill recreates crash landing realism
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1441943882_1-org.jpg
A man plays his part of being injured in the simulated crash landing exercise. Photo: Phuket International Airport

PHUKET: -- Emergency teams at Phuket International Airport staged a full-scale drill at 1am yesterday (Sept 10) by using a real Airbus 320 to simulate an aircraft crash landing in Phuket.

The exercise got under way at precisely 1:07am, as a total of 158 personnel were called to render assistance to “Flight OK123”, which had slid on the runway during an emergency landing.

The simulation was that the aircraft, a real Airbus 320 provided by Bangkok Airways, had crashed and caught fire.

As part of the exercise, emergency responders were at the ready as the pilot had reported a mid-flight engine problem while en route to Phuket.

During the exercise, all passengers were recovered safety from the wreck, with the simulation declared over at 3am.

Monrudee Gettuphan, Director of Phuket International Airport, praised the efforts by all emergency responders who took part in the drill.

“All officers carried out their functions faster and more effectively, which means they will be able to better mitigate the consequences of such a disaster if it happens,” she said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-airport-drill-recreates-crash-landing-realism-54055.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-11

I was onsite for the One2Go crash and despite obvious confusion the teams were well organised and outstanding given the circumstances. Well done for this practice.

I hope that your praise is for the practice, and not for the handling of the one2go crash. The one2go crash was a classic of what not to do, how not to be prepared and how to operate a substandard international airport. At the very least, I would hope that the fire service vehicle foam and water tanks were not empty. I would be interested how they prioritized triage, to treat the most needy first - not ambulances leaving full of people with bumps and bruises, and leaving critically injured at the crash.

By the way, is that ditch still there, running the length of the runway which prevented emergency vehicles from reaching the crash site in the one2go crash ?

Kudos if they are finally getting it right.

Edited by tigermonkey