If You Could Buy Any Pickup Right Now What Would It Be?

FruitPudding

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toyota..........No question.........Don't give a feeerk about gizmo's, all that crap......Reliability to get you there..

AAAAAAAAAAAAH, Ford guys will trounce me now, but they ain't now got a V8 under the hood.......laugh.png

Ah, but the 5 pot 3.2 is not a bad motor.

Gotta be the 3.2 Wildtrak with all the trimmings :)

The missus likes the Ranger, but for her its just a brand name fashion thing (and she likes the colours the Ranger comes in). It is a nice truck though smile.png

I am really just looking for quality and value for money.

So, we've got Toyota and Ford, so far. Would anyone go for a Mitsubishi Triton or an Isuzu D'Max?

Edited by FruitPudding

The missus likes the Ranger, but for her its just a brand name fashion thing (and she likes the colours the Ranger comes in). It is a nice truck though smile.png

So, we've got Toyota and Ford, so far. Would anyone go for a Mitsubishi Triton or an Isuzu D'Max?

No...........coffee1.gif

Yes.

No...........coffee1.gif

Yes.

The Triton or the D'Max? :)

I wonder if Trans will bite, lol.

Wildtrak 2.2 Manual in black. No other truck in Thailand comes close to the Wildtraks. When I'm dead I'd possibly consider a Dullota, but not yet.

Be great for us to read your 'findings' on all the other pickups you tried in LOS to come to your conclusion.....thumbsup.gif

You forgot the sarcasm smiley

Edited by JaseTheBass

I like the look of the ford, but I am from the USA and have owned many rangers. They are just plain crap. I know first hand what an inferior product the ford is. I would buy a dmax, they hold there value and are superior vehicles. Toyota would be my second choice, they are very dependable.

Edited by inzman

Toyota..........No question.........Don't give a feeerk about gizmo's, all that crap......Reliability to get you there..

AAAAAAAAAAAAH, Ford guys will trounce me now, but they ain't now got a V8 under the hood.......laugh.png

I assume you are talking about the Vigo as the new Revo has brand new engines and is way too early in their lifespan to be considered reliable.

Saying that Iam considering trading my Vigo on a new Wildtrak Ranger.

Edited by Don Mega

I like the look of the ford, but I am from the USA and have owned many rangers. They are just plain crap. I know first hand what an inferior product the ford is. I would buy a dmax, they hold there value and are superior vehicles. Toyota would be my second choice, they are very dependable.

The Fords here are not American crap. The Dmax is inferior as is Toyota unless resale is your only criteria when buying a vehicle.

No...........coffee1.gif

Yes.

I agree with Giddypu, I would go for the Triton, and IMHO you should too. They are all good trucks, except for Ford and Chevy which you are almost certain to regret (unless color is your only consideration), but the Mitsu is the best "truck for the buck" in Thailand, full stop. I have last year's 4-door Triton Plus, with the 2.5 Turbo, and its fun to drive and runs really well. And I expect that the new model is much better.

As my friend, the "truck guru", always says "Toyotas and Tritons are indestructible and powerful. Fords and Chevys are horrible. Period." And, as far as trucks are concerned, he's never wrong.

Truck guru sounds like a Thai and unable to make an informed opinion.

There are a number of Aussie review magazines on YouTube who are considerably more clued up than local 'experts', but nothing beats actually taking a few different brands out and making your own mind up like I did.

Ah, but the 5 pot 3.2 is not a bad motor.

Gotta be the 3.2 Wildtrak with all the trimmings smile.png

Totally agree, nothing beats that motor in the current Thai lineup. That 200HP turbo diesel just can't be beat. Just step on the pedal and hear that engine GROWL! And that is coming from a real diesel hater (me)... 3.5 V6 petrol Mitsus was my preferred mode of transport in my former life. Now I'm more than happy with the Ford. And, it's such a comfortable ride too... There has been a fair deal of bad comments on Ford service, but I can't say I can agree in my case. the few things I had were dealt with quickly and very friendly. The girls from Ford dealer still call my wife every week or so just for a chat... unfortunately not me... but that's Chumpon. YMMV

I would likely get a WT again, our 2.2 has so far been flawless, 3 years old next Jan and about 24k km now and it still looks like new after I pick it up at the car shampoo shop and got it waxed which is not often. Thinking about it, only been waxed once, hmm, well it's a pick-up truck not a RR.

Two of my neighbors in the village just bought Rangers, both Toyota owners.wink.png

Would love to try out the 3.2 but don't really need it, 2.2 is okay for our needs.

Love the Bluetooth in it, hand-free phone conversations are handy to have and it's safer too.

Never really needed the cruise control but tried it out because it's there and can chill out my right foot a bitbiggrin.png

I assume you are talking about the Vigo as the new Revo has brand new engines and is way too early in their lifespan to be considered reliable.

Right - anyone that says the 1/2GD-FTV series are reliable must be some sort of fortune teller. If they're basing that projection off the 1/2KD-FTV series of the old model, they're just fantasising...

Just google for 'injector seals' (leads to complete engine seizure) and 'cold knock' for starters...

What's reliable about a Toyota pickup is that every mechanic has seen it's flaws 1,000 times before, not that it's flawless.

Edited by IMHO

Truck guru sounds like a Thai and unable to make an informed opinion.

There are a number of Aussie review magazines on YouTube who are considerably more clued up than local 'experts', but nothing beats actually taking a few different brands out and making your own mind up like I did.

He sounds like somebody with an opinion different from yours

Driving different brands for an expended period beats your option. I have had 2x d-max, 1x navara and now 1x bt50. I am happy and have been happy with both isuzus and the Mazda, not with the Nissan.

Right - anyone that says the 1/2GD-FTV series are reliable must be some sort of fortune teller. If they're basing that projection off the 1/2KD-FTV series of the old model, they're just fantasising...

Just google for 'injector seals' (leads to complete engine seizure) and 'cold knock' for starters...

What's reliable about a Toyota pickup is that every mechanic has seen it's flaws 1,000 times before, not that it's flawless.

To be fair Transan has had something like 30 years of trouble free motoring with his Vigo so they all must be just as reliable, yeah.

Edited by Don Mega

Test drive yesterday on 3.2 Wildtrak and 2.2 Everest. Both EXCELLENT. So quiet, so responsive and of course the 3.2L donk has heaps of torque for off-road or heavy loads. Transmissions ensure smooth power delivery when driving fast and furious (in wet actually) and steering is one-finger-light for parking yet with feedback at speed.

I'm not sure if Th models have noise-cancelling built in but you can hear a pin drop whilst driving 60 kmph in traffic. Wildtrak has chilled cooler under centre armrest and loads of USB ports, cruise control etc but GPS map display in dash is via bluetooth from phone or tablet.

Be quick for the 3.2L if power needed as Ford will phase out this engine in favour of 2.2 in pickup models. 2.2 drives and feels same on-road with 3 pax.

NB: Everest Titanium beats new Fortuner hands down on styling and equipment (apart from GPS) and drives like a sports car. Pity there's no chiller box in Everest ... warm beer while driving is so uncool. :(

Apart from the mediocre fuel consumption the previous automatic diesel Triton seems to be well-built and reliable. And the latest model seems to offer a big improvement in fuel consumption.

One thing that I look for in a vehicle here is an extensive dealer network and good parts availability, and I'm not sure that one gets this with anything other than the top three brands. I would not want to break down only to be told that the nearest dealer is 300 miles away and will need several weeks to get parts anyway.

I agree with Giddypu, I would go for the Triton, and IMHO you should too. They are all good trucks, except for Ford and Chevy which you are almost certain to regret (unless color is your only consideration), but the Mitsu is the best "truck for the buck" in Thailand, full stop. I have last year's 4-door Triton Plus, with the 2.5 Turbo, and its fun to drive and runs really well. And I expect that the new model is much better.

No offence, but the outgoing Triton drives and feels like something prehistoric compared to everything that's currently available - if that's your baseline, you'll be happy with anything current wink.png The new Triton included - so long as you can get over that styling :P

Not dissing it, it was easily the 2nd best truck of it's era, but wow, the goalposts have moved a lot in the past year.

Edited by IMHO