Chaturon: Over-criticising the NCPO cost me my passports

webfact

EXCURSIVE INTERVIEW
Chaturon: Over-criticising the NCPO cost me my passports

THE NATION

30268735-01_big.jpg
Chaturon

CHATURON Chaisaeng, former education minister and senior Pheu Thai Party executive, was back in the news when his passports were recently revoked for criticising the government, particularly Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

He talks to The Nation's Wiraj Sripong about the current situation and his political career.

Q: DID YOU EXPECT THAT YOUR PASSPORTS WOULD BE REVOKED? HAS IT PREVENTED YOU FROM EXPRESSING YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT THAI POLITICS?

A: I was first informed by a journalist. Later, the information was confirmed by many sources. I decided to go to see the director-general of the Consular Department to seek an explanation. They informed me that the Royal Thai Police had requested the Ministry of Foreign Affairs revoke the three passports, including my diplomatic passport.

I urged the ministry to review its decision and provide a formal explanation within 15 days. This measure limits my right to travel, even though I'm under temporary release conditions [by the Military Court].

So far, I've learned from the news that it was my political opinions that put me in this situation. These measures have been adopted because I "over-criticised" the NCPO.

I see this passport revocation as illegitimate and illegal. This goes against international law, which guarantees the right of individuals to travel out of the country. Moreover, the NCPO prohibits people from presenting opposing ideas - while the law does not forbid political viewpoints that differ from those of the government and the NCPO.

This is a matter of rights, [especially] when you are a politician and a citizen. I will always exercise my right to criticise. Letting it go would be negative for everyone in society.

Q: YOU ARE THE ONLY POLITICIAN WHO STOOD AGAINST THE COUP FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. HOW DOES THIS REFLECT YOUR FEELINGS AS A POLITICIAN, ESPECIALLY AMONGST PHEU THAI PARTY MEMBERS?

A: It might be a coincidence that I was the only one who stood against the coup and did not report to the NCPO. Back then, I [had no] chance to consult with other members of the Cabinet. I lost contact with others.

I've been through the same sort of situation many times [in the past], but this was the first time I had to report to the authorities.

It has always been my habit to oppose a coup d'etat. That is why I continue to do it.

Q: HOW WOULD YOU ASSESS YOUR ROLE WITHIN THE PARTY AND AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL - FROM THE DAY YOU STARTED YOUR CAREER AS A POLITICIAN TO THE PRESENT?

A: Over time, my role and duties have evolved, starting from the day I became an MP to the day I assumed higher positions in the Cabinet.

"What I've always tried to preserve is freedom of political expression. I will talk [only] about truth and what is deemed beneficial for the country. I always say to myself that I should continue to develop my capacity [and broaden my intellectual horizon]. That is what all politicians should do.

Over the past 29 years of my career as a politician, I've always felt the need to help the country lay ground rules for democracy.

The exception was only when the country underwent a reform period between 1992 and 1997 that I felt the country was seeing a real moment of democracy.

However, I started to recognise the importance of re-engaging myself [in the fight for democracy once again] in 2006 and over the past years. [All the situations] can lead to the conclusion that the lack of democracy still remains among the important problems to be solved.

Twenty-nine years have passed and the country is less and less democratic. I'm not even certain whether in the next 10 or 20 years our society is going to be democratic.

Q: MANY PEOPLE PERCEIVE YOU AS A SKILFUL POLITICIAN AND PERHAPS A POTENTIAL CANDIDATE FOR PREMIERSHIP. HOWEVER, SOME MAY PERCEIVE THAT IT'S DIFFICULT TO BE OUTSTANDING WHEN WORKING UNDER THE SHADOW OF THE OUSTED AND FUGITIVE FORMER PRIME MINISTER THAKSIN SHINAWATRA.

A: Thai political parties are evolving and I've always preserved my identity by giving importance to what the majority says. Given my position as a politician, it is my duty to express my points of view and to share them with society.

From the time I was part of the Thai Rak Thai Party to the Pheu Thai Party, party policies have always been in harmony with the party ideology. There may be times that I view things differently. Sometimes, I was wrong. Sometimes I was right. Sometimes, the political context did not even allow members of the party to meet. So I tried to do what I could.

The expectations that others have for me [and my future in politics] may not coincide with the reality of Thai politics. Nevertheless, I will never stop to fight for democracy, whether my role in politics changes or not.

Q: THE CONTROVERSIAL CHARTER HAS JUST BEEN VOTED DOWN BY THE NATIONAL REFORM COUNCIL (NRC). WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FOR THE NEXT DRAFTING PROCESS?

A: Voting it down was better than approving it since it contained a lot of elements that made it extreme.

"We've wasted a year trying to draft a charter and not achieving anything in the end.

Once the draft charter was rejected, Thai society came to a point where the option is between bad and very bad. Another damaging [time] for the country is when the road map is extended.

Even now, there is no guarantee that we will have a better constitution. There is no guarantee that opposing ideas can be expressed.

The next draft charter should be more democratic, accessible to the people so that they can decide through a free and fair referendum.

In case it fails, there should be an election and a constitution based on what people in society really want."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Chaturon-Over-criticising-the-NCPO-cost-me-my-pass-30268735.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-14

I had expected it would have been this monster's clear links(and reported financial involvement) to the red bombing campaign against the anti-Yingluck protesters that cost him his passport. After all, what's the use having the criminal flee when charges are just about to be brought against him? Chaturon, my crystal ball tells me your evil ways are going to cause you a lot of pain, something you should have been considering a few years ago.

I had expected it would have been this monster's clear links(and reported financial involvement) to the red bombing campaign against the anti-Yingluck protesters that cost him his passport. After all, what's the use having the criminal flee when charges are just about to be brought against him? Chaturon, my crystal ball tells me your evil ways are going to cause you a lot of pain, something you should have been considering a few years ago.

Can you please supply the clear links and any evidence of (financial involvement) you state Chaturon has to the so called bombing campaign.

Can you please supply the clear links and any evidence of (financial involvement) you state Chaturon has to the so called bombing campaign.

Cite evidence that he didn't....lmao.

He should join Yingluck in the "Sit down, shut-up or go shopping group crowd". I am a guess here, but I listen, watch and read about this Country and the people who have looted it for years, lining their pockets with corruption while the largely uneducated believe their line of cow dung !!

He should join Yingluck in the "Sit down, shut-up or go shopping group crowd". I am a guess here, but I listen, watch and read about this Country and the people who have looted it for years, lining their pockets with corruption while the largely uneducated believe their line of cow dung !!

Ahhh, another one that can clearly see what the uneducated ones cannot. Congratulations, you are among the elite! It sure must give you a hard-on having the military in power, right?

What this man has to say in this article is very fair and very reasonable which isn't even close to what we have to listen to every day coming from the mouths of the people in charge of the current government.

All he says he wants is Democracy, which I fear this country will never get.

What this man has to say in this article is very fair and very reasonable which isn't even close to what we have to listen to every day coming from the mouths of the people in charge of the current government.

All he says he wants is Democracy, which I fear this country will never get.

Yeah right. Like he says he suddenly lost contact with all the other cabinet members.

No phones, no mobile phones, no emails, no FB, no Line, etc etc.

They always show their insincerity by including some ridiculous crap in their comments.

He's about as interested in democracy as he is having a sinus wash. What he really wants is his cronies back in power so the trough is accessible again and machinations can start to get the boss's stalled amnesty sorted.

The real questions that should have been asked by this journalist:

1. What was he doing with a diplomatic passport? Any other Pheu Thai politicians with this privilege?

2. What did this man accomplish for democracy while in power under orders from Dubai via Skype?

3. Has he made any constructive suggestions for the new constitution charter writing instead of making a show of himself at the FCCT?

4. How much democracy did we get under Pheu Thai?

5. Is he proud of the violence and murderous acts demonstrated during the Pheu Thai three years in power?

This man has no right to talk about democracy.

Edited by yimlitnoy

If the best the Junta can charge Chaturon with is not saying nice things about the Junta, it will just increase his reputation for being pro-democracy.

In fact Prayut may indirectly promote Chaturon to the public more than he has with his focus on Yingluck. Chaturon can use the publicity such as this article and the military's antics to suppress his opinions to supplant Yingluck's leadership of the PTP and become a leader of the PTP in his own right. If he can moderate the party's ideology, he might well gain some crossover members from the Democrats.

Wait, what? You do realize that virtually every modernized justice system needs to prove guilt, not prove innocence, correct?

Can you prove to me that 13 years ago on the 4th of January that you weren't engaging in illegal acts? C'mon, prove it. Even if you were able to tell me where you were at the time, you would need to provide evidence for every moment of existence to avoid persecution.

What a farce.

Sophistry, slander, inaccurate assumptions and, glowingly, infantile.