Australian PM Tony Abbott ousted by Malcolm Turnbull

webfact

"Shortly before Turnbull was sworn in, a grim-faced Abbott spoke for the first time since his sudden ouster, warning that the persistent volatility in Australia's government could hurt the nation's standing on the global stage."

I think this comment from Abbot, if accurate is typically small-minded of him. Pure sour grapes and unworthy of a former Prime Minister. An unworthines that has been consistenty demonstrated througout his political life.

It is quite easy to put the hate on a person like Abbot but what bothers me is that he was never a leader. He was the representative of a faction of Australian politics that goes back to the cabal behind the dismissal of Gough Whitlam in teh 70's. There is not a lot of difference really between the economic policies of the political parties in a broad sense. The differences are in how people see the development of the Australian identity and in the maintenance of power structures that benefit certain groups (on both sides of the aisle). Fraser engineered the Dismissal and received popular support because of a reaction against the social justice measures of the Whitlam Government. Howard was a protege of Fraser. Abbot is a protege of Howard.

He is and was a stooge. Not worthy of being called a 'leader'. A political hack with an extremist, repressive and backwards view of the development of the Australian identity.

His mark on the world stage is non-existent.

Congratulations Aussies!

2003. I was in my Thai hotel room watching the news on ABC and the guy running against Howard was on and said "I speak the sentiments and in the language of the Australian people when I say that John Howard is an arselicker." I was incredibly impressed, you will never hear that language on US network news. Since then I've tried to keep an eye on Aussie politics. I liked Rudd, and felt that Gillard was 'installed' and that there was no way to understand that coup without being privvy to stuff behind the scenes. Abbot always seemed a buffoon, I thought he came off like a bouncer, then he became PM and they dressed him in better clothes.

That thing about relocating refugees/migrants to Cambodia is probably one of the worst decsions to that sort of problem, IMO.

Congratulations Aussies!

2003. I was in my Thai hotel room watching the news on ABC and the guy running against Howard was on and said "I speak the sentiments and in the language of the Australian people when I say that John Howard is an arselicker." I was incredibly impressed, you will never hear that language on US network news. Since then I've tried to keep an eye on Aussie politics. I liked Rudd, and felt that Gillard was 'installed' and that there was no way to understand that coup without being privvy to stuff behind the scenes. Abbot always seemed a buffoon, I thought he came off like a bouncer, then he became PM and they dressed him in better clothes.

That thing about relocating refugees/migrants to Cambodia is probably one of the worst decsions to that sort of problem, IMO.

The Cambodian thing did stop the boats, so Abbot 1, opposition 0.

Congratulations Aussies!

The Cambodian thing did stop the boats, so Abbot 1, opposition 0.

It was Rudd who put in-place the PNG Solution thereby stopping the boats, not Abbott

I will miss his face periodically on television. His face reminded me so much of Howdy Doody ( not sure why ) and this gave me warm memories of my childhood.

So will the political cartoonist.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=political+cartoons+of+tony+abbott&biw=1360&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBoQsARqFQoTCPuF9bzF-8cCFc8FjgodpAQHxA

I have never known much about Australian politics other than the frequent changes in leadership. After reading the OP, I now understand that the ruling part is described as both "conservative" and "liberal", yet carries the name Liberal Party, while apparently being home to many ultra-right wing members. The opposition on the other hand is the Labor, which is characterized as being centre-left which means it is home to many liberals and left wingers. No mention is made of ultra-left wing politicians, but i would presume that they also reside in the Labor Party.

Just to bring it all together, we are told that Abbott was kicked out to be replaced by Turnbull, because Turnbull is more popular amongst those who vote for Labor.

Did I get it all right ?

Over all you are correct.

Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott represented the far Right Wing of the Liberal (conservative) Party.

Day one after his Election he set out to begin to dismantle Publicly funded Health Care, deregulate higher education, eliminate investment in renewable energy, lower pensions, reduce unemployment safety net, attack the publicly funded Australian Broadcasting Authority so he could not be held to account, handing out money to Big Business, a Royal Commission to attack his political opponents in the Labor Party, set up a Australian Border Force (whatever that is), Data collection and surveillance, anti equal rights 'at law' for 'same sex marriage', reinstatement of British 'establishment' Knights and Dames, etc etc etc etc.

Fortunately most of his punitive, authoritarian and mean spirited legislation was blocked in the Senate and he couldn't get it through. Thank Buddha for the Labor Party and Independent Cross Benchers in the Senate or all key Social programmes would have begun to be dismantled.

What really bought him undone is no real concern for the Australian People but after 30 Polls that showed the Liberal Party would lose an Election his Party could see they would be out of a job come next March so decided to get rid of him and go with Malcolm Turnbull who Polls very well in the Electorate as he is seen to be Centre Right Wing and a far better, personable communicator.

It became patently clear that the Australian Electorate rejected the Liberal Party's austere, punitive and divisive far Right Wing view of the World.

I have never known much about Australian politics other than the frequent changes in leadership. After reading the OP, I now understand that the ruling part is described as both "conservative" and "liberal", yet carries the name Liberal Party, while apparently being home to many ultra-right wing members. The opposition on the other hand is the Labor, which is characterized as being centre-left which means it is home to many liberals and left wingers. No mention is made of ultra-left wing politicians, but i would presume that they also reside in the Labor Party.

Just to bring it all together, we are told that Abbott was kicked out to be replaced by Turnbull, because Turnbull is more popular amongst those who vote for Labor.

Did I get it all right ?

Over all you are correct.

Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott represented the far Right Wing of the Liberal (conservative) Party.

Day one after his Election he set out to begin to dismantle Publicly funded Health Care, deregulate higher education, eliminate investment in renewable energy, lower pensions, reduce unemployment safety net, attack the publicly funded Australian Broadcasting Authority so he could not be held to account, handing out money to Big Business, a Royal Commission to attack his political opponents in the Labor Party, set up a Australian Border Force (whatever that is), Data collection and surveillance, anti equal rights 'at law' for 'same sex marriage', reinstatement of British 'establishment' Knights and Dames, etc etc etc etc.

Fortunately most of his punitive, authoritarian and mean spirited legislation was blocked in the Senate and he couldn't get it through. Thank Buddha for the Labor Party and Independent Cross Benchers in the Senate or all key Social programmes would have begun to be dismantled.

What really bought him undone is no real concern for the Australian People but after 30 Polls that showed the Liberal Party would lose an Election his Party could see they would be out of a job come next March so decided to get rid of him and go with Malcolm Turnbull who Polls very well in the Electorate as he is seen to be Centre Right Wing and a far better, personable communicator.

It became patently clear that the Australian Electorate rejected the Liberal Party's austere, punitive and divisive far Right Wing view of the World.

Thank Buddha for the Labor Party

You mean those morons that bankrupted the country, allowed people to die on leaky boats trying to get to Australia, put that red headed liar in charge, and put Rudd back in charge because they have no principles other than being elected.

As for Abbott, he got rid of the ABC international because it was a PC piece of garbage- only had 2 shows worth watching; Q & A and Insiders

Higher education should be deregulated. Government interference stuffs up education.

Abbott stopped the boats- good one Tony.

You mean those morons that bankrupted the country, allowed people to die on leaky boats trying to get to Australia, put that red headed liar in charge, and put Rudd back in charge because they have no principles other than being elected.

As for Abbott, he got rid of the ABC international because it was a PC piece of garbage- only had 2 shows worth watching; Q & A and Insiders

Higher education should be deregulated. Government interference stuffs up education.

When was Australia Bankrupt?

I don't see how previous Labor Government issues have anything to do with Tony Abbott being replaced as Prime Minister.

Back flips on statements made by Tony Abbott prior to being elected certainly did play a part in him being thrown out and voter backlash. No cuts to ABC / SBS, No cuts to education, No new taxes. He basically broke all those commitments.

The Abbott Government's attempt to deregulate higher education was soundly rejected by the Australian Electorate and certainly contributed to him being replaced.

The 'stopping the boats' issue was not an over all winner in the Electorate. What the Abbott Government won on stopping the boats was swamped by concerns legal refugees were being pushed back out to sea, left stranded on the sea starving and thirsty, put on rafts and pushed back to sea, incursions into other Nations sovereign waters, reports of torture, lack of transparency 'we do not comment on 'on water' operations', journalist Visas going from $200 to $8000 to visit Manis / Nauru detention camps, depriving people of their liberty without charge, etc. spying on Government officials etc etc etc. This also contributed to Abbott's Party Leadership downfall so maybe 'not so, good one, Tony'/

Abbott's far Right Wing agenda was simply not playing out or supported within the Electorate.

I don't see how previous Labor Government issues have anything to do with Tony Abbott being replaced as Prime Minister.

Back flips on statements made by Tony Abbott prior to being elected certainly did play a part in him being thrown out and voter backlash. No cuts to ABC / SBS, No cuts to education, No new taxes. He basically broke all those commitments.

The Abbott Government's attempt to deregulate higher education was soundly rejected by the Australian Electorate and certainly contributed to him being replaced.

The 'stopping the boats' issue was not an over all winner in the Electorate. What the Abbott Government won on stopping the boats was swamped by concerns legal refugees were being pushed back out to sea, left stranded on the sea starving and thirsty, put on rafts and pushed back to sea, incursions into other Nations sovereign waters, reports of torture, lack of transparency 'we do not comment on 'on water' operations', journalist Visas going from $200 to $8000 to visit Manis / Nauru detention camps, depriving people of their liberty without charge, etc. spying on Government officials etc etc etc. This also contributed to Abbott's Party Leadership downfall so maybe 'not so, good one, Tony'/

Abbott's far Right Wing agenda was simply not playing out or supported within the Electorate.

Living on borrowed money = being broke.

I was referring to your statement thanking Buddha for Labour, not that it had anything to do with Abbott.

BTW, Buddha was a man, not God, and can't influence anything now- he's long dead.

While I don't disagree with what you say about the boats, the effect was to stop them, or near as. If they change the policy, expect lots more people drowning at sea. Can't have it both ways, unless the Oz government starts picking them up in Indo and transporting them to Oz free of charge.

Back flips on statements made by Tony Abbott prior to being elected

Rule number one- all politicians lie, and never believe anything they say in an election campaign.

Remember the red head and "no carbon tax"?

Living on borrowed money = being broke.

I was referring to your statement thanking Buddha for Labour, not that it had anything to do with Abbott.

BTW, Buddha was a man, not God, and can't influence anything now- he's long dead.

While I don't disagree with what you say about the boats, the effect was to stop them, or near as. If they change the policy, expect lots more people drowning at sea. Can't have it both ways, unless the Oz government starts picking them up in Indo and transporting them to Oz free of charge.

Back flips on statements made by Tony Abbott prior to being elected

Rule number one- all politicians lie, and never believe anything they say in an election campaign.

Remember the red head and "no carbon tax"?

Australia does not 'live on' borrowed money so it is not broke but the Abbott Government doubling the Budget Deficit over the past two years is another issue that played into him being removed as Prime Minister. Fiscally irresponsible and no ability to successfully put in place or negotiate Budgetary measures to address the issue were key to his downfall.

My comment 'thank Buddha for Labor.......' was meant in a light hearted manner but the Teachings of Buddha are certainly not dead in fact if Abbott had followed the Teachings of Buddha he may not have been removed from Office.

"Wealth itself is not the problem, as long as it is attained by honest means and used for the benefit of the wider society."

I don't know, maybe like, a mining tax, a carbon tax to address pollution, investment in education, healthcare, a independent Australian Broadcasting Authority, caring for the elderly and unemployed and less privileged. Seems the Australian Electorate is more attuned to the teachings of Buddha than the far Right Wing agenda of Tony Abbott.

Stopping the boats caused more Political fall out than accumulating positive political Capital. He attempted to draw up Legislation to imprison for two years any officials who spoke out on Human Rights abuses. Thank Buddha the medical profession stood up to him and he had to back down. Another incident that lead to his down fall.

Former Prime Minister Julia Gillard's decision to back flip on her 'there will be no Carbon Tax under a Government I lead' statement didn't have any bearing on Abbott being dumped as Prime Minister. His statements prior to being elected there will be no cuts to health, education, pensions, ABC/SBS, no new taxes and then proceeded to do exactly that, certainly did. Politicians can certainly lie but as Tony Abbott found out get caught out, you get thrown out.