Prayut prepared for UN meeting

webfact

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Poverty and sustainability are two issues that Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha will highlight in his address to the United Nations General Assembly.

During a lunch with Thai reporters at the Government House today, Prayut said the issues fit the situation in Thailand.

Asked if he would include the National Centre for Peace and Order’s roadmap in his speech, he said it was not on the agenda. He added that there was no need to elaborate the NCPO's plans to the international community, as he has never wanted to hold on to power. He also urged all to look back and see improvements in the past year.

"(You know) I’m doing this for whom. My friends now share the difficult time. All ministers did not ask for their seats. I picked them all, inviting the preferrable ones," he said.

He said that he was open for interview requests by foreign media, though he did not know if he would have time to meet them. He insisted that he was never afraid of foreign media.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Prayut-prepared-for-UN-meeting-30268918.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-16

I can't wait to see how he will react to real questions instead of rehearsed ones and when he gets cross examined in the questioning or is asked for explanations with which he is put on the spot. Their have been several times it has happened already and he has not shown a very good manner or response to that. When it happened here though he berated the reporters whereas he won't be able to do this at a UN meeting.

I can't wait to see how he will react to real questions instead of rehearsed ones and when he gets cross examined in the questioning or is asked for explanations with which he is put on the spot. Their have been several times it has happened already and he has not shown a very good manner or response to that. When it happened here though he berated the reporters whereas he won't be able to do this at a UN meeting.

Who are gonna be his translators? I don't think he speaks any decent English..... rolleyes.gif

So, he's going to avoid all the real issues that the UN is concerned about - return to democracy, freedom of the media, human trafficking, suppression of political dissent - and try to cover it up with some nonsense about sufficiency economy and efforts to ease rural poverty. Give me a bucket. bah.gif

Edited by zaphod reborn

The good old refuge for the Thai elite when speaking to any audience is paternalistic moral teaching. It naturally puts the speaker in the role of the wise and good teacher. I think this speech will be ignored at the UN.

However I do expect him to get buttonholed during his time there about all sorts of issues he would rather not discuss, human trafficking, elections, locking up opposition politicians, strategic shift towards China, and many more.

So, he's going to avoid all the real issues that the UN is concerned about - return to democracy, freedom of the media, human trafficking, suppression of political dissent - and try to cover it up with some nonsense about sufficiency economy and efforts to ease rural poverty. Give me a bucket. bah.gif

Could have been worse. It could have been sufficiency 'theory' and rain-making. And the bit about having a democratic heart.

That would have had them rolling in the aisles.

"Asked if he would include the National Centre for Peace and Orders roadmap in his speech, he said it was not on the agenda. He added that there was no need to elaborate the NCPO's plans to the international community, as he has never wanted to hold on to power. He also urged all to look back and see improvements in the past year."

He might even have managed to convince himself this is true, but he may be in for a surprise when he discovers people outside of Thailand don't believe that for a moment. He is playing with the big boys at the UN...

Cricket box? check

Full-face visor helmet? check

Electric-shock collar so you won't forget not to threaten them? check, ouch!

Kevlar vest? check

Anti-egg-and-tomato screen? check

Over-size shoes that won't fit into mouth? check

Ready to go then.

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

Well there's actually a hidden synonym related to one from a few days ago,...

UNpeace and....... (see last 2 words above, especially if you put them together) ph34r.png

you get what I'm referring to????? tongue.pngtongue.pnggigglem.gif

Edited by MaxLee

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

One post has been removed.

He is prepared, I bet!

He already knows, who "understands" Thailand and the necessity of him to stay on as PM and who exactly will praise the junta for their efforts to get rid of corruption and who will be pleased with their efforts to end human traffiking....coffee1.gif

He is prepared, I bet!

He already knows, who "understands" Thailand and the necessity of him to stay on as PM and who exactly will praise the junta for their efforts to get rid of corruption and who will be pleased with their efforts to end human traffiking....coffee1.gif

His mate Robert Mugabe???

Some (older) Thai friends once told me about the Thai PM going to visit John Kennedy in the 1960's.

He had been taught enough English to say ""How are you?" to which JFK would probably say "I'm fine", so he was supposed to say "Me too".

He met the president & said "Who are you?" JFK replied that he was Jacky's husband. The guy said "Me too."

cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Who are gonna be his translators? I don't think he speaks any decent English..... rolleyes.gif

I’d be very surprised if he did not speak English well, especially as his wife was a former associate professor at Chulalongkorn University's Language Institute. She is also vice chairman of the Distance Learning Foundation and teaches English on the long-distance learning TV station (see http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/First-family-keeps-low-profile-30241498.html).

Also, Coconuts refers to comments about Prayut by “… his former English teacher” (see http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/09/prayuth-chosen-god-lead-thailand-old-english-teacher-says).

Be aware that there is no requirement for any leader to have to go to the United Nations to speak or report. The General is going at his own free will and he is well aware of what he faces. I am sure he will speak differently to a foreign audience then he does to Thai reporters who are mostly ignorant. This man is no ones fool. He knows exactly what he is doing and how to get it done. Now whether we agree or not, that is up to everyone to decide. If I had to guess, he will make his speech which will give no insight into the Thai political situation; but he will meet with several World leaders; and do some good private public relations work.He will present his real case in private. As far as the UN- it has little real value and takes way too long to make any real decisions that affect anyone. This is just a meet and greet trip.

All well and good putting out negatives to suit-------all I can say is DO YOU remember Yingluck. she was a joke acting on behalf of her brother---surely the PM can improve on her performances.

...don't forget to tell the UN how you spent 6 months getting the price of Thai lottery tickets down to 80baht...the UN will be impressed

Your idea of a joke ?? is that all you can post ?? ridiculous your post suggests that is all the PM has done in 1 year, your post is an April fool one-----get real. we all do not find a military government ideal, but is more good than the last lot, it IS an improvement. I dislike military rule in general, but prefer it to near total corruption.