Protecting our children from teacher frauds

London54321

Which particular decade of the Victorian era were you beamed in from? "Questionable moral character"? "Drinks and smokes pot"? Does he consort with women of easy virtue as well? Has he missed attending church for more than three Sundays in a row?

Sounds to me like you need to send your kid to a better school. Any institution that would hire a teacher that age clearly doesn't give a f*** about their qualifications, and would probably just laugh at your letter and see you as a troublemaker. They just want to be able to say they have a native speaker teaching there, end of story. Appearance over reality here.... always. The youngster may actually be a really good teacher, but probably not. Proper qualifications don't necessarily make good teachers (all my teachers had them and some of them were crap), and some people are born teachers even without the qualifications.

But you are really concerned that an 18-year-old drunk stoner backpacker is going to haul your tightly clenched backside into criminal court for defamation? Come on.... Answer honestly now... are you a troll? If not, then it doesn't take much to make you quake in your boots, does it?

And this "The children are threatened!!!" Sorry, what danger are they in exactly? Of course, if you are serious about this 'questionable morality' nonsense, then you are doubtless imagining paedophile orgies and such.... Funny how it is always the pious minds that jump to this sort of conclusion.

As far as I can see the only danger is that they will get a bad education - which puts them in the same boat with almost every other non-rich kid in the country.

Go ahead, report the kid without fear of legal repercussions... but I bet his employers already know. Do they imagine that an 18-year-old has a master's degree and a Toefl cert?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell, that's rich coming from you considering the nasty, malicious BS you posted about his wife.

I have only 'speculated' about his wife in a manner that the OP would see as 'factual.

That is nothing more than your ridiculous, vivid imagination that deserves nothing but contempt.

As, indeed is the whole post......and your ridiculous opinions....

Clearly you don't know the difference between fact and speculation, the 18 year old that is the subject of this thread admitted his lack of qualifications so what the OP considers factual are actually facts.

I'd ask you to point out just one of my opinions that is ridiculous but, (a), there aren't any, and (B), I don't want to drag this on any further.

I'm curious to know, and I'm really just thinking aloud now, which of the posters on this thread are unqualified teachers?

I wouldnt let an 18 year old tech my children based on the fact that at 18 you have insufficient experience in anything to put you in a position to teach others

In general, I get your meaning... But just as a note, when I was three years old, my brother taught me to read - both text and music. He was eight.

What should I do? I know an 18 year old British tourist of questionable moral character (drinks and pot), who has never attended any university, never earned a decent score in any English course in grade school or high school, has no Thai license to work here, certainly not as a teacher. He is in Thailand on a tourist visa only but is now leading Thai kids in English and other studies at a northern school.

I don't see the problem. Is he, do you have evidence he is a 'bad teacher' or is somehow a 'threat' to the kids? Have you ever sat in on one of his classes and assessed it? If so, using what criteria or professional knowledge or experience? There is nothing worse than some self appointed 'superhero' sticking their nose in where it is neither needed, asked for, nor wanted. Wind your neck in unless you have proof that he is a threat to the well being of the kids, and liking a drink and a smoke, isn't proof only your overblown opinion.

You don't seem too sure about your own claims about his licensing yourself, so your other claims can only be dismissed as 'spurious'. Has your wife taken a shine to him or something?

You really don't see the problem of an semi-educated, unqualified and unlicenced youth fraudulently teaching children?

Who says it's fraudulent? Is the youngster claiming to be anything he isn't? Is the other option no teacher at all? I"m sure if they could get a 30-year-old MSc teachers academy grad with five years experience, they'd happily have one. But all those people are at the International schools pulling down 100k+ per month.

And the ministry of education has no problem with useless unqualified teachers.

I am not ignoring that in the slightest.

I do not feel that the fact he is young and unqualified is 'putting the lives of Thai kids in jeopardy' - certainly no more than the thousands of other teachers in similar positions operating across Thailand, often in cases where the school cannot afford to pay a qualified one, and struggles in terms of locating them.

I already explained that my issue was with the OP making ridiculous moral judgements, and presenting them as if they exacerbated the situation. Given that the first thing the OP mentions is that the individual is of 'questionable moral character', I think it is fair to say that is is a primary motivating factor.

Yeah, these things can be so illusory....

As an example, the headmaster of a prestigious International school here - a man who has heaps of proper qualifications, and wife and kids, can be seen regularly down Soi Cowboy. One time, I even saw him, pissed as a newt, openly popping down the road, hooker in tow, to the short time place at the end (I followed him, just out of curiosity, not moral outrage)... The fees at that school are about Bt500k per year. And despite the headmaster's extracurricular habits, kids get a very good education there.

Seedy, cheap and cheesy? Absolutely. Does it endanger anyone's children? Not really. At least you can be fairly confident he is not a pedo - unlike another big name international school that had a coverup over their "respectable" headmaster six years ago and complaints from children whose parents were too embarrassed to file criminal charges. That guy had excellent - impeccable - qualifications. Didn't drink much and didn't smoke dope either.

So you never really know who is whom and what is what, eh?

"I know an 18 year old British tourist of questionable moral character (drinks and pot), who has never attended any university, never earned a decent score in any English course in grade school or high school, "
"My Thai wife is too scared to file a report but says as I too am a British citizen"
I very much doubt that that you're a British citizen. We don't have 'grade schools' and 'high schools' in Britain. We have primary and secondary schools...

My Thai wife is too scared to file a report but says as I too am a British citizen"

What the OP's Thai wife says doesn't have to be the truth ,wouldn't you agree? Americans have "grade schools and high schools." Yankee,.

P.S. His Thai wife's too scared to do what? There's a very fishy smell coming out of my internet now... Judas.......smile.png

Edited by lostinisaan

Clearly you don't know the difference between fact and speculation, the 18 year old that is the subject of this thread admitted his lack of qualifications so what the OP considers factual are actually facts.

No they are not. He has zero evidence to suggest that he knows for a fact that the kid is a pot smoking drinker. What the lad 'admitted' to the OP is not solid evidence.

I do not feel that the fact he is young and unqualified is 'putting the lives of Thai kids in jeopardy' - certainly no more than the thousands of other teachers in similar positions operating across Thailand, often in cases where the school cannot afford to pay a qualified one, and struggles in terms of locating them.

I already explained that my issue was with the OP making ridiculous moral judgements, and presenting them as if they exacerbated the situation. Given that the first thing the OP mentions is that the individual is of 'questionable moral character', I think it is fair to say that is is a primary motivating factor.

As an example, the headmaster of a prestigious International school here - a man who has heaps of proper qualifications, and wife and kids, can be seen regularly down Soi Cowboy. One time, I even saw him, pissed as a newt, openly popping down the road, hooker in tow, to the short time place at the end (I followed him, just out of curiosity, not moral outrage)... The fees at that school are about Bt500k per year. And despite the headmaster's extracurricular habits, kids get a very good education there.

Seedy, cheap and cheesy? Absolutely. Does it endanger anyone's children? Not really. At least you can be fairly confident he is not a pedo - unlike another big name international school that had a coverup over their "respectable" headmaster six years ago and complaints from children whose parents were too embarrassed to file criminal charges. That guy had excellent - impeccable - qualifications. Didn't drink much and didn't smoke dope either.

I even saw him, pissed as a newt, openly popping down the road, hooker in tow, to the short time place at the end (I followed him, just out of curiosity, not moral outrage)..

​ You followed him, just out of curiosity? Why do foreigners in this country NOT mind their own business? You followed a guy to a short time place, just because he's a headmaster?

May I ask you what you did at this place? Oh, you're the guy who got laid by three ladyboys, right. Stop this thread, it's annoying.

Your last sentence is so true.....you never know. Mind your own business, for god's freaking sake.

I even saw him, pissed as a newt, openly popping down the road, hooker in tow, to the short time place at the end (I followed him, just out of curiosity, not moral outrage)..

​ You followed him, just out of curiosity? Why do foreigners in this country NOT mind their own business? You followed a guy to a short time place, just because he's a headmaster?

May I ask you what you did at this place? Oh, you're the guy who got laid by three ladyboys, right. Stop this thread, it's annoying.

Your last sentence is so true.....you never know. Mind your own business, for god's freaking sake.

Indeed! Did he emerge covered in spunk?

You really don't see the problem of an semi-educated, unqualified and unlicenced youth fraudulently teaching children?

The OP doesn't even know that he is "semi-educated, unqualified and unlicenced [sic]". If he is good at his job, his employers and students are happy with his work is all that counts; not the un-informed opinion of the OP or yourself....

I have known bad teachers with all the qualifications in the world but that doesn't make them 'good teachers'.

Rather an enthusiastic 'semi-educated youth' who can get something through to the kids than some dry, inflated. egotistical bully with a Phd who can't get a thing through to the kids.

My thoughts exactly,....so well said....

The OP seems to be a very wicked person. If he has a child or children in the school where this unqualified teacher is teaching and he has the concern for his child or children, why not go to the school and complain to the director? Why why does he want to frustrate this young man's life here by thinking of reporting him to the Police or Immigration???? It is really true that our greatest enemies in Thailand are ourselves(foreigners) If this man is managing his life here without creating any problem and if the school is satisfied with his work and not complaining, what is really behind your wanting to report him and put his life here in jeopardy? If the school is not satisfied with his work, of course they will fire him. So what is your problem? The school has not fired him meaning that they are satisfied with his work. So keep quiet and mind your own business.

Him teaching is probably 10 times more effective than any Thai that would ever teach on that school.

Mind your own business.

I consider reporting another foreigner for working without work permit one of the lowest things you can do in Thailand as a foreigner. By the way, the immigration will laugh at you too and think you're an idiot. Maybe not in your face, but where you're gone...

What should I do? I know an 18 year old British tourist of questionable moral character (drinks and pot), who has never attended any university, never earned a decent score in any English course in grade school or high school, has no Thai license to work here, certainly not as a teacher. He is in Thailand on a tourist visa only but is now leading Thai kids in English and other studies at a northern school.

I don't see the problem. Is he, do you have evidence he is a 'bad teacher' or is somehow a 'threat' to the kids? Have you ever sat in on one of his classes and assessed it? If so, using what criteria or professional knowledge or experience? There is nothing worse than some self appointed 'superhero' sticking their nose in where it is neither needed, asked for, nor wanted. Wind your neck in unless you have proof that he is a threat to the well being of the kids, and liking a drink and a smoke, isn't proof only your overblown opinion.

You don't seem too sure about your own claims about his licensing yourself, so your other claims can only be dismissed as 'spurious'. Has your wife taken a shine to him or something?

First a license doesn't make of anybody a qualified teacher. You didn't bring any argument or facts that really should make you so worried.

Working without permit is none of your business.

You didn't answer one of the legitimate questions above.

Smoking or drinking is part of private life of this individual. Don't you drink? Do you think no teacher should drink.

Your story sounds fishy, you are not telling the real story.

Get a life.

Bloody hell, that's rich coming from you considering the nasty, malicious BS you posted about his wife.

I have only 'speculated' about his wife in a manner that the OP would see as 'factual.

That is nothing more than your ridiculous, vivid imagination that deserves nothing but contempt.

I'd ask you to point out just one of my opinions that is ridiculous but, (a), there aren't any, and (B), I don't want to drag this on any further.

I'm curious to know, and I'm really just thinking aloud now, which of the posters on this thread are unqualified teachers?

This post is ridiculous because we only have the OP's word that the 18 year old admitted anything!

Qualified where? Any TEFL certified teacher can LEGALLY teach TEFL in many countries.

In Thailand they need a degree in education and actually at the present time there are approximately 30,000 Thai teachers who are unqualified because they don't have education degrees, they like the vast majority of TEFL teachers are having to take top up teaching diplomas to get a Thai teaching licence. They have access to 100's of Thai universities to help them enable this.. Foreign English teachers have one ( and only since last year)

First a license doesn't make of anybody a qualified teacher. You didn't bring any argument or facts that really should make you so worried.

Working without permit is none of your business.

You didn't answer one of the legitimate questions above.

Smoking or drinking is part of private life of this individual. Don't you drink? Do you think no teacher should drink.

Your story sounds fishy, you are not telling the real story.

Get a life.

Smoking waccy baccy or drinking may be part of someone's private life if it is confined to the teacher's private life, but not if it impinges on their work performance. The question is one of degree. My own opinion is that someone without a formal teaching qualification or a work permit should be extra careful.

I see a big problem in what you said but how many of these semi-educated, unqualified and unlicensed teachers are teaching English here? Will you follow up and ask for their removal? If not then let this individual alone because he is neither the first nor the last. I have taught English here for about 2 years and a half and I have never met a single good Thai English teacher. I have met many unqualified semi educated teachers especially from Africa who are dedicated to teaching English and learning in the job because that is their only livelihood. Will you want them to be sent away because they are unqualified when they are very dedicated to their jobs? Will you want to ruin the life of someone who is teaching in a school and has no problem with his students and employer because you know he is uneducated and unqualified? Have you attended his lessons to evaluate his teaching? Let his employers and his students decide his fate, not you who is neither his employer or his students or even his colleague.

I remember a similar scenario in Isaan, a youngish chap working

as a teacher with the motive to engage with as many girls as he

could, i heard he was finally deported but i also heard he was a

real stud hero for what he did, he was one of those rotten apples.

I'd taught here before and known plenty of teachers.

I'd actually say a lively young lad is usually much better at relating to schoolkids and keeping them engaged and interested in learning, than a more boring, serious, conservative, older teacher who makes the kids fall asleep.

Enjoying boozing and pot doesn't necessarily have any relevance whatsoever to professionalism in the classroom either. Easy to enjoy both outside working hours, responsibly.

Clearly you don't know the difference between fact and speculation, so what the OP considers factual are actually facts.

The 18 year old that is the subject of this thread admitted his lack of qualifications as stated by the OP who hasn't even bothered to reply to a single post. Makes me wonder his credibility!

• 2 weeks later...

I followed him primarily for my own amusement... and also because he is a sanctimonious prick who has been known on several occasions to question the moral character of his teaching staff - for being seen down in Cowboy, of all things - so I thought I'd gather a little ammo for friends who work there.

And since you ask... Quite honestly I don't down there that often anymore - usually when there are tourist friends in town. Drink beer, go to a few gogo bars and go home. There was a time when I'd join in the fun, but these days, not... I'm married and like it that way.

And if you don't like the thread, don't be a <deleted> and keep reading it. Just go away.

And since you ask... Quite honestly I don't down there that often anymore - usually when there are tourist friends in town. Drink beer, go to a few gogo bars and go home. There was a time when I'd join in the fun, but these days, not... I'm married and like it that way.

And which gogo bar did you meet your wife at?