Pattaya Flooding

Nice Boyd

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The housing project behind Alankarn is completely flooded now. A few houses in our village are flooded also. Water's rising fairly quick.

We live in Baan Balina Na-Jomtien. My wife had to evacuate as the water started to come up through the bathroom drains. When she left it was up to her thighs in the street. A few hours later a neighbour said the water was halfway up the house.

I now know we live in parallel univeries!.

Today, I had an appointment at Bangkok Int Hospital in soi 4 at 12.15pm. I telephoned at 10.30am to reschedule due to the roads flooding. The lady seemed genuinely surprised and queried the rain etc.

I explained I lived by the lake on Siam CC road. I suppose the situation from the 7th floor on soi 4 in central Pattaya is very different to the flooding 6-7 kilometers away.

Anyway,she agreed to change the appointment until tomorrow. clap2.gif

So glad you made this point - otherwise I have no idea how I would have got some sleep tonight

And this, worst ever flooding after the Mayor ? of Pattaya said no more

annually for 5 years . What is even worse are the big businesses, along

Beach RD. - Central Mall, Amari, Holiday INN, Hilton, paying millions

in taxes, watching millions of profits , literally, going down the drain

& not tar and feathering the city administation !

I think it should be the small businesses that people should fear for? After all, the big businesses as you say, earn millions so can take the hit, unlike the small traders

The housing project behind Alankarn is completely flooded now. A few houses in our village are flooded also. Water's rising fairly quick.

We live in Baan Balina Na-Jomtien. My wife had to evacuate as the water started to come up through the bathroom drains. When she left it was up to her thighs in the street. A few hours later a neighbour said the water was halfway up the house.

Phil: let me know if you need some help with your wife. It's really bad. My wife is in constant communication with the manager and others in the village. It's horrible.

It rose so fast, it was unreal. I mean up about 2 feet in only 2 hours. We were just caught unprepared. Let me know what I can do to help. I went by your house several times today....

Heard the back road from 331to Ban Chang has been 'cut' but at the moment unconfirmed.

I'll try to post the pic, but yes, the road is completely washed out. Our village is in trouble now. It's still raining and the water's rising.

Is that Baan Balina?

Well, we're completely flooded. Everybody in the village has been evacuated. And for good reasons.

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. I hope it settles down soon.

It's strange though as I drove from Jomtien to near Central earlier this evening, and just drove back now along Beach Road etc and apart from the ground being wet you could hardly tell that it had been raining hard. Certainly no sign of any sort of flooding at all. Even whilst I was there it did no more than drizzle lightly.

It sounds as though you have suffered from the same problem that Bangkok had a few years ago: flood water from elsewhere ending up in your place and having nowhere else to go.

Well, we're completely flooded. Everybody in the village has been evacuated. And for good reasons.

A HUGE shout out to the Thai rescue squad. What an amazing group of dedicated professionals. I've got my 90 year old mother with late stage Alzheimer's. They were fantastic dealing with her. Which is not easy. A group of about 7 came to our house, in waist deep water, head lamps on, and carried her out. Took my wife, me and the care giver out also in their huge (and high) truck.

I can't describe how emotional it is to see your beautiful house flooded about 10 inches deep. Everything ruined. We worked our butts off trying to keep things dry. But to no avail. Others are in even worse shape with water over the beds.

I've read about people dealing with floods over the years. It's a horrible thing to experience. Yesterday at my friend's house in Pattaya till late. Today at my house...all day. I'm beat and at a local "no tell motel" down the road. Me, my wife and the dog. Dog was not allowed at the Ambassador, but mom is there with the caregiver. Actually, quite a nice room for 2,200B!

What a fricking nightmare.

I am very sorry to hear that but also surprised since the rain now is much lesser than last night? sad.png

I hope your insurance will pay for everything including the hotels.

I too live in the same village as Craig. My wife had to evacuate with the dog because the water started coming up through the bathroom drains. When it started coming through the doors she got out.

The water was over her knees in the street but she managed to get the truck out safely.

Ive been told that a river bank or damn burst in Huay Yai today and thats what caused the sudden gush of water.

What amuses me is the idiots who SEE how deep the water is, and yet they still try to drive through it, then scratched their heads and wonder why they didn't make it.

whistling.gif

It isn't to see that, and you can only judge by another vehicle preceding you.

What hidden surprises there are is the issue, previous road surfaces may well be under water 20m downstream.

I am isolated due to a now washed out bridge (recently repaired) and an impassable road.

Yes, how can the people not be electrocuted? I remember people sitting in an open air restaurant being fried a couple years back.

It is amazing to me how Beach road and 2nd Road can not drain to the ocean. It seems like a simple thing to engineer. Is the ocean as high as the street?

Well now is the drought over in Pattaya? I hope so.

A HUGE shout out to the Thai rescue squad. What an amazing group of dedicated professionals. I've got my 90 year old mother with late stage Alzheimer's. They were fantastic dealing with her. Which is not easy. A group of about 7 came to our house, in waist deep water, head lamps on, and carried her out. Took my wife, me and the care giver out also in their huge (and high) truck.

I can't describe how emotional it is to see your beautiful house flooded about 10 inches deep. Everything ruined. We worked our butts off trying to keep things dry. But to no avail. Others are in even worse shape with water over the beds.

I've read about people dealing with floods over the years. It's a horrible thing to experience. Yesterday at my friend's house in Pattaya till late. Today at my house...all day. I'm beat and at a local "no tell motel" down the road. Me, my wife and the dog. Dog was not allowed at the Ambassador, but mom is there with the caregiver. Actually, quite a nice room for 2,200B!

What a fricking nightmare.

My sympathies Craig to you and all the others who are suffering. I have experienced this and it's so bloody soul destroying. During the great flood of 2011, I was on my own at home in Bangkok, my house and every other house in my street buffered against the waters bearing down on us. Day after day we would stand outside in the street feeling helpless and impotent and scared. It was a horrible feeling, not knowing when this unstoppable force was going to sweep through us. In some ways I wish we had been hit quick, because the waiting was excruciating. In the end we were spared. Today I'm at the top of Khao Noi and suffering no effects from the rains - haven't been out much for a couple of days (gout), so I haven't seen the damage with my own eyes. If anyone needs a hand with anything, give me a shout. Not a lot I can do, nor a great deal of time because of work, but who knows! Even running an errand can assist.

Heard the back road from 331to Ban Chang has been 'cut' but at the moment unconfirmed.

I'll try to post the pic, but yes, the road is completely washed out. Our village is in trouble now. It's still raining and the water's rising.

Is that Baan Balina?

Hi Craig and Phil, So sorry to hear about the terrible flooding to your homes, especially with an elderly sick mother to take care of. It must have been very traumatic. I hope things get back to some semblance of normalcy as soon as possible. Good luck.

Mobi

Electricity been out for at least 4 hours here in soi Chaiyapruek, seems to be the whole area. Any news about this ? Someone is talking about a cable that needs to be fixed. Only thing working here is my 3G phone .

My step-son's school in Pong is closed due to a falling tree cutting off the power lines, but otherwise, all is normal.

For the first time in years, we didn't have a single power cut during the storms (not even one of those 1-second affairs) and the internet and cable TV continued throughout.

Maybe things are getting better.... or maybe all the trees near roadside cables were already blown down in previous storms....

Building houses in flood zones? WHY? WHY? WHY?

I am not an expert, but I would imagine that a vast majority of property built in tropical countries that are subject to monsoons are built in so-called flood plains.

Probably the whole of Bangla Desh is one huge flood zone.

It goes with the territory, so to speak.

It's more a question of having the necessary infrastructure (monsoon drains, pumps and the like) to deal with the storms when they come.

Yes, how can the people not be electrocuted? I remember people sitting in an open air restaurant being fried a couple years back.

It is amazing to me how Beach road and 2nd Road can not drain to the ocean. It seems like a simple thing to engineer. Is the ocean as high as the street?

Well now is the drought over in Pattaya? I hope so.

Maprachan Reservoir looks like it only collected a small amount of the rain water. Nothing near half full.

Electricity been out for at least 4 hours here in soi Chaiyapruek, seems to be the whole area. Any news about this ? Someone is talking about a cable that needs to be fixed. Only thing working here is my 3G phone .

It's planned maintenance or repair work. Most of East Pattaya shut down from 09:00 to 17:00 or until they get the work done. The school (Tara Pattana) was informed last Monday.

Anyone have any info on Baan Balina 1 Na-Jomtien.

The small road in is flooded by the gate up to knee height and maybe 100 mtrs along the access road, some owners parked on the road and have walked in but no cars its still too deep.

I'm at the big government housing estate near ( according to google maps ) Baan Balina 1

the water has receded overnight most roadways are dry now but the Klong/river running through the estate is still at overflow point.

My guess would be Baan Balina 1 is also (mostly) dry now.

Just saw Rimmer's post still not dry I'm surprised.

Edited by johng

I'm at the big government housing estate near ( according to google maps ) Baan Balina 1

the water has receded overnight most roadways are dry now but the Klong/river running through the estate is still at overflow point.

My guess would be Baan Balina 1 is also (mostly) dry now.

Just saw Rimmer's post still not dry I'm surprised.

Wife has just been to the house to get clean clothes. Street is 18" deep and the house had 9" of water in it yesterday.

Water has subsided in the house to ground level now. Garden and carport still about 6" deep.

The small Soi leading to Baan Balina is a gradual slope to the village from Sukhumvit. It may take some time to drain off. At least the levels going down.