380 stranded tourists rescued from Pattaya Island

webfact

380 stranded tourists rescued from Pattaya Island

larn-2.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Special permission was granted by the Harbor Office in Pattaya on Wednesday to rescue 380 stranded tourists on Larn Island who were unable to travel back to Pattaya due to the current extreme weather conditions caused by Tropical Storm Vamco.

4 two-storey vessels were allowed to ignore the current red-flag which is currently in-place which does not allow any vessels to sail due to severe weather conditions.

The rescue was coordinated by Pattaya City Hall who funded the rescue mission which successfully returned the 380 Thai and Foreign Tourists to the mainland on Wednesday afternoon.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/217984/380-stranded-tourists-rescued-from-pattaya-island/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-09-17

Of course, out of concern for tourist safety, the day trips could have been cancelled in the first place.

Good to see that money wins out. Again.

Ok I am really trying to understand why you would bother wasting time writing that! Tourists are not just day-trippers. They are often there for a few days or a week, so they were there before the storm and warnings were in place. They therefore need to get back to catch flights and make other connections.

Of course, out of concern for tourist safety, the day trips could have been cancelled in the first place.

Ok I am really trying to understand why you would bother wasting time writing that! Tourists are not just day-trippers. They are often there for a few days or a week, so they were there before the storm and warnings were in place. They therefore need to get back to catch flights and make other connections.

So it's OK to risk the lives of the boat operators & the tourists when there is a severe weather warning. Just change the rules hwen they want with no consideration for the risks. What would have happened if one of the boats had sunk in rough seas. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to wrk out who wouldn't get the blame.

What me concerns is this sentence; 4 two-storey vessels were allowed to ignore the current red-flag which is currently in-place which does not allow any vessels to sail due to severe weather conditions.

As duckmandon said, who would take the responsibility in case of a tragedy? Likely nobody.

I was going to escape Bangkok spend a couple of days in Pattaya this week (a nice hotel with my Family).

After looking at the weather forecast I cancelled the trip - it would've been pointless hanging around in a hotel suite all day, regardless of how nice it may be.

I wonder if any of the tourists travelling to Koh Larn even checked a weather forecast - Given the weather this week surely it wasn't an enjoyable trip before the heavy weather set in.

So it's OK to risk the lives of the boat operators & the tourists when there is a severe weather warning. Just change the rules hwen they want with no consideration for the risks. What would have happened if one of the boats had sunk in rough seas. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to wrk out who wouldn't get the blame.

Got out of bed the wrong side this morning???

I would have assumed extra precautions were put in place, looks like they waited for a break in the weather, would have liked to have seen the navy oversee it may be with a patrol boat or two... but done properly I see it being very low risk.

from the picture hardly a wave and although very over cast with low cloud does not seem to be raining, one good thing is everybody is on the lower deck although does not look like everyone anyone is wearing a life-preserver.

Edited by Basil B

Where's the aircraft carrier when you need it?

4 ferries & 380 pax = 95 per ferry.

Last time I went on a ferry to Koh Larn was about 4 years ago & I counted.

There were 132 passengers & 4 crew members.

I haven't been on one since, not just because of that. Mostly the crowds overall, made me give it up.

Used to be super cool out there not so long ago (2005), but now it's like those pic's I see of Benidorm.

I cannot think of one reason to risk lives,crossing that sea in this storm.Not one.

And certainly not with a boat shown in the pic.

Been on that type of boat hundreds of times... lot better than a metal can any day if properly maintained and the upper deck is not over loaded.