Phu Du Border

Not sure about Phu Du being open for border crossings.

There are no problems at any Thai/Laos crossings if you have a valid visa.

At the moment the only crossing where there is a problem is the crossing to Myanmar at Bang.Phu Nam Rom.

At the moment the only crossing where there is a problem is the crossing to Myanmar at Bang.Phu Nam Rom.

So there should not be any problems at the Cambo border no more?

I am doing a VR tomorrow, got a triple TV.

As of the 15th they were allowing out/in crossings if you have a valid visa to use. Be sure you do the crossing before the enter before date on your visa.

As of the 15th they were allowing out/in crossings if you have a valid visa to use. Be sure you do the crossing before the enter before date on your visa.
I will go to activate the 2nd entry tomorrow.

I got a 30 days extension at Pattaya Immigration witch run out tomorrow so i hope i will be fine.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

That crossing is open. I went across in March. It opened as an international crossing only in February.

Don't know if you can get a Lao visa on arrival there yet or not. Probably not, but I don't care as I don't need one. tongue.png

I am planning on crossing that border again next week.

There is a 2.5km distance between the border posts. No way you can go there without a car. And I highly doubt you would want to do a turn-around after having just spent 1 hour doing the car export documents on the Thai and Lao sides, then repeating again a few mins afterwards.

Either stay a night or two, or choose another border crossing such as Vientiane.

Sounds like Phu Doo may not be for you.

• Like 1

That crossing is open. I went across in March. It opened as an international crossing only in February.

Don't know if you can get a Lao visa on arrival there yet or not. Probably not, but I don't care as I don't need one. tongue.png

There is a 2.5km distance between the border posts. No way you can go there without a car. And I highly doubt you would want to do a turn-around after having just spent 1 hour doing the car export documents on the Thai and Lao sides, then repeating again a few mins afterwards.

Either stay a night or two, or choose another border crossing such as Vientiane.

I live in uttaradit so Phu Du would be ideal

OK. However, you do need a car because I know of no public transport service that would be able to transport you the 2.5 or so km distance between the two border posts. Of course, to bring your car across (or motorcycle for that matter) it can't be on finance and if it doesn't belong to you, you will need a letter and ID card/driver's licence or passport copy of the owner of the vehicle authorizing that you can drive the car out of the country (the letter should state it is valid for Laos).

As I said, I am not confident that Lao visas on arrival are available there yet. I will ask if I go, but I may end up going through Nan instead as I'd like to check out that area (have never been there) seeing that I've already been to Phu Doo. If I'm short on time, I will go through Phu Doo though.

Phu Doo is as far as I'm aware, the most isolated of all the Thai-Lao border crossings and one of the few with virtually no public tranport options. There is one guesthouse near the border on the Thai side, but none that I'm aware of near the border on the Lao side.

The nearest accommodation on the Lao side is in Paklay, some 35-40km from the border post. I would not be doing an in/out at Phu Doo as it quite impractical and time consuming. Also, despite the border being open until 8pm, try not to go later than 5pm. After around 6pm the Lao side often closes their gate and if they don't spot you, you're not going anywhere and will have to return to the Thai side.

The other option if you're in Uttaradit is the nearby Tha Li/Namheaung crossing. It closes a bit earlier (at 6pm) but is more reliable with a much shorter distance between the border posts which you can walk or I think tuk-tuks can even transport you across. There is also accommodation just a few km up the road on the Lao side and more public transport available on both sides of the border.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

OK. However, you do need a car because I know of no public transport service that would be able to transport you the 2.5 or so km distance between the two border posts. Of course, to bring your car across (or motorcycle for that matter) it can't be on finance and if it doesn't belong to you, you will need a letter and ID card/driver's licence or passport copy of the owner of the vehicle authorizing that you can drive the car out of the country (the letter should state it is valid for Laos).

As I said, I am not confident that Lao visas on arrival are available there yet. I will ask if I go, but I may end up going through Nan instead as I'd like to check out that area (have never been there) seeing that I've already been to Phu Doo. If I'm short on time, I will go through Phu Doo though.

Phu Doo is as far as I'm aware, the most isolated of all the Thai-Lao border crossings and one of the few with virtually no public tranport options. There is one guesthouse near the border on the Thai side, but none that I'm aware of near the border on the Lao side.

The nearest accommodation on the Lao side is in Paklay, some 35-40km from the border post. I would not be doing an in/out at Phu Doo as it quite impractical and time consuming. Also, despite the border being open until 8pm, try not to go later than 5pm. After around 6pm the Lao side often closes their gate and if they don't spot you, you're not going anywhere and will have to return to the Thai side.

The other option if you're in Uttaradit is the nearby Tha Li/Namheaung crossing. It closes a bit earlier (at 6pm) but is more reliable with a much shorter distance between the border posts which you can walk or I think tuk-tuks can even transport you across. There is also accommodation just a few km up the road on the Lao side and more public transport available on both sides of the border.

You will also need the purple Thai car passport that is available at your DLT price for this from 50 to 250 baht. It is not required for a motor bike.

• 1 month later...

The IO at the Phu Du, Thailand border crossing said they can handle people from any country entering Thailand but the Lao side cannot issue visas on arrival. Back in nearby Ban Koh District, the locals say the Thai IO's are experienced and helpful, and are being staffed out of Tha Li in Loei Province. So no problem if you show up at that crossing with a Lao visa already in your passport. They told me not to expect any changes from the Lao side in the foreseeable future.