Retiring in Mexico versus Thailand

derble

There's no 'social embarrassment' factor in Mexico.

For example, if your ordering food at a street stall they are far less likely to 'work things out' if you don't speak Spanish. Condecending laughter and refusing to serve is much more common. The Mexicans are also nastier then Asians if you don't speak the language and if you don't try to speak it they tend to shut down and not want to provide goods and services.

There is also an underlying rift between Mexicans and Americans that makes daily interaction uncomfortable. Certainly not the friendliness stuff you get interacting with Thai's. That's going to take getting used to unless you hide in an expat enclave like most retirees do there.

Wow. We really have had different experiences in Mexico. Almost polar opposites in fact. My experiences have for the most part been very positive. I would go back at any time (between November and April), I just wouldn't buy a house and settle down there. There are too many other countries that I haven't been kicked out of yet. I would like to explore the potential.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example, if your ordering food at a street stall they are far less likely to 'work things out' if you don't speak Spanish. Condecending laughter and refusing to serve is much more common. The Mexicans are also nastier then Asians if you don't speak the language and if you don't try to speak it they tend to shut down and not want to provide goods and services.

There is also an underlying rift between Mexicans and Americans that makes daily interaction uncomfortable. Certainly not the friendliness stuff you get interacting with Thai's. That's going to take getting used to unless you hide in an expat enclave like most retirees do there.

Wow. We really have had different experiences in Mexico. Almost polar opposites in fact. My experiences have for the most part been very positive. I would go back at any time (between November and April), I just wouldn't buy a house and settle down there. There are too many other countries that I haven't been kicked out of yet. I would like to explore the potential.

Where were you living?

Last year in Escondido in Oaxaca state. I had to cut it short as family members parachuted in on me and didn't particularly like the area. I ended up taking them over to Puerto Morelos in the Quintana Roo for several weeks. That seemed to cheer them up though it isn't an area that I would care to revisit. They repaid me by dragging me back to Canada. angry.gif

Funny.. Good reading.

I'm stuck in Hawaii on my own land.

'Cheap' forest land above Kona, which buy the way, is similar to Chiang Mai in latitude. I'm at 4,000' altitude, which is like Santa Barbara when it comes to growing fruit trees and such.

I love the desert, Eco scrub land, huh?

I gotta lease some of my land, so I can travel. Latins are more matcho, yeah? I usually tip a dollar or two..when cannot speak Español..Gotta appreciate those Asians, when over there in Asia.

Thanks for the info about the protected coast.

Dr. Will Wong is half Latin..

He says Latinas do get larger after having kids..God bless 'em.

Alohz

Ridiculous about interacting. Refusing to serve and not take ur money ,absurd

Last year in Escondido in Oaxaca state. I had to cut it short as family members parachuted in on me and didn't particularly like the area. I ended up taking them over to Puerto Morelos in the Quintana Roo for several weeks. That seemed to cheer them up though it isn't an area that I would care to revisit. They repaid me by dragging me back to Canada. angry.gif

anyone can overlook the negatives for several weeks. just knowing your on vacation protects you.

stay at least 3 months next time and report back. or better yet, just move there if it floats your boat.

• 2 weeks later...

How does Puerto Vallarta compare with Pattaya (I mean hurricanes aside)....probably has some nice beach front condos?

In general, the cost of living considerably higher. Last time I checked, roughly double. You can't fully legally fully own coastal real estate in Mexico but there are workarounds.

How does Puerto Vallarta compare with Pattaya (I mean hurricanes aside)....probably has some nice beach front condos?

Slightly under usa costs (for example san diego area),

Food and necessities are priced usually slightly below usa or the same in some cases. small tacos with tortilla and meat run about .75 -1.00 us. need about three of those for a small meal equivalent to a thai rice dish.

problem with pv is its a tourist zone. you cant really go local so your stuck with tourist prices, and you cant venture further afield because theres nothing around.

the women are there, but few and far between and very reserved/shy. i was celibate for quite awhile last time i was there.

the mexican guys are also dicks and you cant avoid them.

city empties out in low season and crowded in high season. prices go to usa prices during high season esp rents.

locals and expats dont mix much socially, theres a wall there.

seems to be older upper or midfle class expats who are married, like staying in the nice room most of the time, or very young crowd on spring break in high season. no middle ground.

very few middle aged singles around. not many long term singles at all.

that said, i did enjoy my huge sea view villa at low season pricing. but had to go after two months. just too quiet after awhile.

Edited by fey

I've never been to Santiago, Chile, but lots of people have told me the place has an unbelievable number of stray dogs. Sure enough, whenever I see something on the news, like a street demonstration, there are lots of dogs about. My guess is they don't attack people or spread rabies, otherwise there would be some action taken. You have to wonder how clean the streets are.

I haven't been to Puerto Vallarta in many years. Do they still worship Liz Taylor? Has something been done about the sewage being dumped near the main beach?

Edited by bendejo

I've never been to Santiago, Chile, but lots of people have told me the place has an unbelievable number of stray dogs. Sure enough, whenever I see something on the news, like a street demonstration, there are lots of dogs about. My guess is they don't attack people or spread rabies, otherwise there would be some action taken. You have to wonder how clean the streets are.

I haven't been to Puerto Vallarta in many years. Do they still worship Liz Taylor? Has something been done about the sewage being dumped near the main beach?

Santiago was very clean , I walked all around that city, I don't remember aggressive dogs, PV Richard Burton and Liz are still spoken about, they had a house there in town, we stayed South of town, Chikos Paradise was south of town near Night of the Iguana was filmed, travelled on those VW busses, down the coast Edited by Nice Boyd

In general, the cost of living considerably higher. Last time I checked, roughly double. You can't fully legally fully own coastal real estate in Mexico but there are workarounds.

Not entirely true

Beer, alcohol, margaritas etc are cheaper in PV

Also, of course Mexican food, decent steaks....

So the answer to the question is not so simple.

After nine years in Thailand, I'm moving to Zijuatanejo (Remember "The Shawshank Redemption?). Three reasons:

1. Tourist Visa is ~$25 U.S. Good for six months. No visa runs, no 90 reporting to immigration, unlimited (thought that may change in the future).

2. NO work permit needed to jam with the local musicians in the bars/clubs.

3. Jomtien beach is a sewer. Looks beautiful from a 5th floor condo, but I tried swimming in it recently and thought I might need to get some shots after, just filthy!

I'll be there in six weeks, I'll keep y'all posted on the progress.

Yes Jomtien is a sewer.

Ever hear of a place called Phuket? I can't imagine ever leaving here.

Good luck in Mexico. You'll need it.

Yes, every year Jomtien gets less and less good water. I used to swim in it. I never had a problem, but on my last trip I just wouldn't go in the water. Instead I went to Phuket, and Ao Nang . Nang water bottom was very slimey. Not sure if it was just the tree and leaves decaying runoff or what. Railey beach around the corner had a sandy bottom that seemed OK. Loved Karon beach for swimming

Not entirely true

Beer, alcohol, margaritas etc are cheaper in PV

Also, of course Mexican food, decent steaks....

So the answer to the question is not so simple.

excellent points, but I think it comes down to value more than price.....PV ranks pretty darn high

Mexico sounds nice, but I am afraid it is a little too far from my wife's parents house:P

is that bad?

Yeaa I see your point,

though I like my wife's parents and they like me.

I should have said

"Mexico sounds nice but I am afraid a little too close to my relatives"tongue.png

you never been to Santiago, i guess you never been also to Bangkok,

when i was living in Bkk, outside my community gate, Bangkapi, each street has several stray dogs.

When i was living in Sathorn i was once chased by what seemed to be a huge aggresive doberman....vampire.gif