Retiring in Mexico versus Thailand

derble

"Speak passible Spanish (mexican) and you should have not problems. Spanish is one heck of a lot easier than Thai seeing that it's based on latin."

Sounds like words of real experience, as you have been living there for a long time...and definitely must have ran a successful business there for for many years.

I love the advice of 'seasoned' veterans...

Edited by lgking

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking news: latest retirement destination with stunning mountains and sunny sandy places are Afghanistan and Irak,visas are easily to obtain and cost of living is extremely cheap...just the lasses are difficult to spot( I mean the pretty ones)...

It gets a bit too HOT in those places and things can get ... CHOPPY. sorry.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Breaking news: latest retirement destination with stunning mountains and sunny sandy places are Afghanistan and Irak,visas are easily to obtain and cost of living is extremely cheap...just the lasses are difficult to spot( I mean the pretty ones)...

But never boring lots of action...just don't mention your sexual preference...

HOT and STICKY much better. laugh.png

If Trump becomes the US President, I would think that, if you are American, Mexico should not even be on your list. If you like latin flavor, try Ecuador or Panama..

I recently read a story on Bloomberg.com on the top 5 places to retire

and Ecuador was at number 1, it surprised me, i'm seriously thinking

of a holiday there, Panama was also there, we hear that Colombia is

also a nice country to live but what worries me is what the country is

famous for so i pass, don't want any red flags on my passport.

I agree with your remark.

After nine years in Thailand, I'm moving to Zijuatanejo (Remember "The Shawshank Redemption?). Three reasons:

1. Tourist Visa is ~$25 U.S. Good for six months. No visa runs, no 90 reporting to immigration, unlimited (thought that may change in the future).

2. NO work permit needed to jam with the local musicians in the bars/clubs.

3. Jomtien beach is a sewer. Looks beautiful from a 5th floor condo, but I tried swimming in it recently and thought I might need to get some shots after, just filthy!

I'll be there in six weeks, I'll keep y'all posted on the progress.

Yes Jomtien is a sewer.

Ever hear of a place called Phuket? I can't imagine ever leaving here.

I could imagine leaving Phuket, and did. Best decision I ever made. My ongoing ENT infections have now cleared up completely.

The fecal colliform count on the bulk of Phuket's west coast beaches is way above any acceptable limit.

I imagine if the water toxicity levels from Patong beach were compared to Jomtien beach one would find similiar results.

But that is not going to happen anytime soon because in the past those in charge in Phuket failed to disseminate the results of their sea water quality tests.

After nine years in Thailand, I'm moving to Zijuatanejo (Remember "The Shawshank Redemption?). Three reasons:

1. Tourist Visa is ~$25 U.S. Good for six months. No visa runs, no 90 reporting to immigration, unlimited (thought that may change in the future).

3. Jomtien beach is a sewer. Looks beautiful from a 5th floor condo, but I tried swimming in it recently and thought I might need to get some shots after, just filthy!

Yes Jomtien is a sewer.

Ever hear of a place called Phuket? I can't imagine ever leaving here.

Good luck in Mexico. You'll need it.

I lived in Phuket for a month. There's not enough money to get me to move back there.

I'm glad you like it, and I'm just one less person to crowd you.

Afghanistan and Iraq, where the men are men and the goats are scared.

Isn't this New Zealand???

New Zealand is sheep , same same but different biggrin.png

New Zealand is sheep , same same but different biggrin.png

Aah gotcha...

Thats sheep your thinking of

Cabo looks like a cool place, maybe a bit expensive.....I think you can even fish for marlin there. There seems to be lots of variety on both Pacific and Gulf sides though

Cabo is great for fishing because you have the Sea of Cortes and the Pacific Ocean offering up excellent bill fish south and to the west in the Pacific, with fine yellowtail, dorado, and tuna south and to the east and north. The Palmilla and Solmar fleets were always the best out of Cabo, but halfway up Baja on the Sea of Cortes is a sleepy little village called Loreto where you can rent a 23' panga boat and skpper from Arturo's fleet and have a magnificent time fishing for dorado, yellowtail and sail fish. Cabo has nearly ten very good golf courses and the best restaurants were always in San Jose del Cabo on the southeastern tip of baja. The only negative is that Cabo has become a bit like a suburb of Los Angeles, with Californians flocking there for fun in the sun and that has driven up the prices. Cabo would not be the first choice for retirement. Puerto Vallarta is far less "Americanized" and has decent fishing, although a bit of a boat ride to get there, but the golf is nice in PV.

Don't know why no one has mentioned that foreigners don't have property rights just like here in Thailand

Want to own property as a foreigner then you must set up a company to own it, sound familiar

Not sure where you got your opinion but speaking as one that owned land in Mexico, unless laws have changed there, foreigners can own property in Mexico but not within proximity of the coastline.

I love Zijuatanejo.

Great little village with Ixtapa and all the fancy things only a short 15 minute bus ride away. First went there 25 years ago and have been back several times. Unfortunately the last time was about 15 years ago. My friend goes for three months every year and say's I would see some differences how ever they are so slow he doesn't notice them. Love LaRopa.

Been thinking about it lately would be nice to take my Thai wife. Also a scene in when a man loves a women is taken there. I don't think there is any more danger there than there was 25 years ago. It is to much out of the way.

Edit

I see where some poster is talking about not owning land there. about 20 years ago that was changed.

Edited by big carl

Don't know why no one has mentioned that foreigners don't have property rights just like here in Thailand

Want to own property as a foreigner then you must set up a company to own it, sound familiar

Not sure where you got your opinion but speaking as one that owned land in Mexico, unless laws have changed there, foreigners can own property in Mexico but not within proximity of the coastline.

Thanks for that. You must be correct since I got that info from someone who bought a condo on the beach in Cabo and was complaining about the time and expense setting up a company

Unfortunately the coastline is the only part of the country where I would want to live