Single visa for Thailand /Cambodia

I originally tagged this message to a thread on the subject of the single visa-wondering if/how it was working, no responses on the end of that thread so will re post, hopefully information will be of interest to many. P

Now a few months down the line from the 'latest' single visa announcement. One visa for entry to Thailand and Cambodia. Has anybody got experience of how it works? if one gets a Thai visa from a Thai embassy eg in Europe, does it state 'including 1 entry for Cambodia' or does one have to expressly ask for it? What are the 'new' fees?Does one get 1 visa which can gain entry at both borders or is anything additional required? I'd rather find out now than find out at PP airport or at Poipet border crossing! I have mooched here and there on the internet and obviously not found the answers to these questions hence posting here, thanks to anyone who can assist.

I have seen no report of anybody using one.

From Singapore embassy website. http://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/tourist-visa.

"ACMECS SINGLE VISA (for entering Thailand and Cambodia)

What is ACMECS Single Visa?

ACMECS Single Visa allows nationals of 35 countries* to enter both Thailand and Cambodia for the purpose of tourism, under the same visa, with single validity for each country. ACMECS Single Visa can be applied at Thai or Cambodia consulates/embassies, subject to pre-clearance from both sides. Visa fee collected at the point of application is similar to normal tourist visa fee of that country (tourist visa fee for application at the Royal Thai Embassy, Singapore, is SG$50), and additional fee, similar to normal tourist visa fee of the other country, will be collected at the international border checkpoint of the other country. ACMECS Single Visa allows applicants to save time for visa application process for both countries.

List of 35 Countries* of which their citizens can apply for ACMECS Single Visa

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bahrain, Canada, People’s Republic of China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, India, Japan, Korea, Kuwait, Luxembourg , Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Portugal, Qatar, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America

Please note that citizens of India and the People’s Republic of China must have permanent residence status or long-term pass (valid for at least 6 months) for Singapore.

Required documents*

Similar to required documents for Thailand's tourist visa above."

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I found this info: http://www.visit-angkor.org/tips-for-tourists/visa/

The ACMECS (Ayeyawady-Chao Phraya-Mekong Economic Cooperation Strategy) Single visa is offered for travelers from 35 countries to date. This visa allows entry to Thailand and Cambodia. It is valid for up to 3 entries to Thailand and one entry into Cambodia, the residence time for Thailand is up to 60 days per entry and for Cambodia 30 days. For Thailand, the fee is 30 Euros for each entry and is payable when applying for a visa at the Thai Embassy. The Visa fee for Cambodia is to be paid at the border crossing.

The processing period is different because two different authorities have to agree. Once the Thai Foreign Ministry and even the Royal Embassy of Cambodia.

So even with this, you have to go through paying at the border check post in Cambodia

3 hours ago, paz said:

I think this visa exist in theory only, it has not ever been issued to anyone.

Prove me wrong going to any Thailand or Cambodia consulate and asking about it.

You know, it has not occurred to me before, but asking the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok about one could be rather interesting. It potentially allows you to have a visa for return to Thailand before you even leave! Having to stump up 1,000 baht at the airport or border when coming in is not an issue. If the chance is even 5% that they will issue me one, it is well worth asking.

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2016 at 2:38 AM, BritTim said:

You know, it has not occurred to me before, but asking the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok about one could be rather interesting. It potentially allows you to have a visa for return to Thailand before you even leave! Having to stump up 1,000 baht at the airport or border when coming in is not an issue. If the chance is even 5% that they will issue me one, it is well worth asking.

I actually decided to inquire whether the Cambodian consulate in Bangkok could issue the ACMECS visa. I was told they used to be able to do it, but the visa is now discontinued.

• Like 1