Democracy Activists Ignore Junta Order to Call Off March

Lite Beer

In the 10 years I have been in Thailand, I have heard absolutely nothing from Thammasat University which I would consider to be 'pro democracy'.

They are a disgrace to the principles of education and what a university should be.

Just a very quick google found this https://www.facebook.com/anthony.cartalucci/posts/1548006848808717

That would be Tony Cartalucci of " Elvis Lives" , " I know where Jimmy Hoffa is" and " Lyndon Johnson Killed JFK" fame.

There are always pro democracy protestors out no matter who is in power.

When the anti democrats were in power (yes, yes yingluck was elected) the protestors were out protesting yet were being silenced. Now the Junta are in power the protestors are out again yet are being silenced.

Small mercies that the Junta don't take the same heavy handed violent approach the anti democrats took when silencing protestors.

The violent tendencies of the criminal element is still fresh in the mind of Prayut I think and he is well aware that when 5 or more red shirts get together you have to hide the cigarette lighters and grenade launchers. A very wise move to disallow this rabble out on the streets.

Democracy..555..Where were these guys when the previous governments deputy PM called protestors garage and threatened that they would be "taken care of" if they continued.

Once again you post about a deputy PM that talked but did nothing. Why don't you praise Prayut for actually crushing dissent instead of just talking about it like the deputy PM did?

Do you realize that the term "anti-democrats" is used to describe Suthep, the Democrats, and the junta?

It seems someone gets a bit "touchy" when reminded the previous poor excuse for a government could be just as arrogant as the present one when it comes to democratic rights.

I don't like to use that anal term "anti-democrat" as it reminds me of a former member who used to thrash that term to death, almost like he was on a bonus for each time he dropped that keyword search term.

Let's see, the junta is unelected, refuses to call elections, has banned calls for elections, and holds without charge for "attitude adjustment" all those who demonstrate for democracy. Can you give an example of something the previous government did that was "just as arrogant as the present one when it comes to democratic rights."?

As I explained on another topic, "anti-democrat" is a short, accurate way to describe those who oppose elections and elected government, and the term has the advantage of not being banned. There are one word descriptions of Prayut and the junta, but we are not allowed to use them.

djjamie has used to death his story of a deputy PM who made empty threats against people who protested against the PTP government. In his mind it justifies all oppression committed by the junta.

In the 10 years I have been in Thailand, I have heard absolutely nothing from Thammasat University which I would consider to be 'pro democracy'.

They are a disgrace to the principles of education and what a university should be.

Just a very quick google found this https://www.facebook.com/anthony.cartalucci/posts/1548006848808717

A link to a Facebook post that provides a link to a blog. What does that prove?

You don't think an attempt at a democracy seminar, shut down by the junta, counts as pro-democracy? http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/03/junta-suppression-academic-talk-democracy-exposes-cracks-in-thailand-peaceful/

So are you saying the facebook information is fake ?. Because the information is extremely relevant.

And a link to a USA news site is even worse. I'm currently reading a book by Max Hastings about the war in Korea. It goes into some detail about American policy in Asia and who they support and why. Of course the communism threat no longer exists, but the rest of it is extremely relevant and extremely interesting.

Bottom line: They will tolerate any level of corruption as long as they can be sure foreign policy will remain in the interest of the USA business. Are you familiar with the 'free trade' agreement Thaksin was trying to railroad through before he got 'found out' ?.

This is your 'democracy'. You should stop trying to pretend you know what it means.

In other words, your link has nothing to do with the OP, which you are trying to derail with an off-topic post giving your opinions about U.S. foreign policy.

Don't feed the troll, obviously EnglishJohn is a poor soul, not even knowing about Thammasat after 10 years... that means a lot about his habits in thailand and UK

Meanwhile, today's BP runs a headline article with selfie taking Prayuth declaring ex pat Thai protesters gearing up for demonstrations against this coup ahead of his meeting at the UN in New York, have already been labeled 'red shirts'. 'Goose' and 'gander' spring to mind.

The junta is likely very concerned about the American Thai community that had a conference in Las Vegas recently and came up with suggestions that would immediately get them jailed in Thailand. The Times of San Diego ran an opinion piece on it.

Edited by T_Dog

The current military junta has banned any kind of protest, public gathering and political activity since it seized power!

The natives are getting restless...the military junta appears to be settling in for the long haul...unrest may be in the future if some form of democracy does not materialize fairly soon...

Dear Mr. General !

I have a very simple proposal for you to consider about voting rights:

simply make the right to vote dependent on whether or not the citizen has paid income tax, regardless of the amount.

regardless of the amount

but in an appropriate relation to the income

Meanwhile, today's BP runs a headline article with selfie taking Prayuth declaring ex pat Thai protesters gearing up for demonstrations against this coup ahead of his meeting at the UN in New York, have already been labeled 'red shirts'. 'Goose' and 'gander' spring to mind.

I guess he is right with calling

them red shirts

(or being in a close relationship, or may be paid)

Democracy Thai style,where votes are bought,and the one that spends the most wins.

regards worgeordie

Boring, vote buying in Thailand has been dismissed long ago as being influential in the results of elections.

Even if it was the Reds that win everything are paupers compared to the so called Democrats and their elite backers.

"the so called Democrats "

I guess you will claim the name UDD is correct?

10 years in Thailand and still need to Google for anti Shins propaganda ?

How much the Junta pay's you for your daily BS ?

10 years in Thailand and still need to Google for anti Shins propaganda ?

How much the Junta pay's you for your daily BS ?

I might not put it so bluntly, but there's no doubt that the likes of EnglishJohn and Djjaimie are doing sterling work on behalf of the junta. Whether they really believe the provocative extremist nonsense they post is another thing altogether, but it certainly keeps the board lively.