Sportfishing in andaman sea. Best chances for sailfish/marlin?

Hey!

I am here in thailand for the next 40 days or so. Doing the marriage thing and taking a would really love to catch a sailfish/marlin. Definately will release it! Last time i was here i at the last minute found a guy in krabi and he took me to an island that had a few jumping but didnt catch one. If anyone has any suggestions i would be truly greatful for them to help me obtain my lifetime goal! :)

fishing is my life passion and a long time ago my dad caught a sailfish on his honeymoon in mexico, really want to make it a tradition! THANK YOU!!!!!

Not meaning to rain on anyone's honeymoon, but marlin fishing isn't a very high probability way to spend your time and money while visiting Thailand.

There are oodles of great things on offer in Thailand. Salt water fishing isn't one of them, as most of the near shore water has been fished to death by Thai and other nations' fleets. I'm sure there's an outside chance that you'll come across one occasionally, but I've never seen one in a fish market anywhere in Thailand. And they sell everything they catch in the fish markets.

Do some of those other things instead, and save your marlin fishing budget for somewhere there is a reasonable chance of actually catching one.

Edited by impulse

Not meaning to rain on anyone's honeymoon, but marlin fishing isn't a very high probability way to spend your time and money while visiting Thailand.

There are oodles of great things on offer in Thailand. Salt water fishing isn't one of them, as most of the near shore water has been fished to death by Thai and other nations' fleets. I'm sure there's an outside chance that you'll come across one occasionally, but I've never seen one in a fish market anywhere in Thailand. And they sell everything they catch in the fish markets.

Do some of those other things instead, and save your marlin fishing budget for somewhere there is a reasonable chance of actually catching one.

Dont listen to this guy....no clue about what he speaks.

OP sorry to say, wrong time of year for them. Sailfish is the prevalent species here and Dec Jan are prime months, What part of Thailand are you in?

OP sorry to say, wrong time of year for them. Sailfish is the prevalent species here and Dec Jan are prime months, What part of Thailand are you in?

How many did you catch last year? In the last 5 years? How many per day spent on the water?

Edited by impulse

Thanks, i am currently in bkk.

But i am open to go absolutely anywhere that i can catch one :) i have done a bit of research and i think i have a chance to get one somewhere. Even if it isnt peak season for them i still dont mind going because im sure ill catch something else too!

Wedding in khanom (Nakhon si thammarat) on oct 3rd then going to koh samui for a week. After that i will have 3 weeks to figure out the best place to catch a billfish! Last time i was in koh lanta, might be worth anoth shot at it.

Last time i was here was 5 years ago. Fished in gulf too much, then went to koh lanta in krabi. Fished one time, there was a charter from phucket and our longtail captain asked the sportfishing boat if they caught anything. 6 people stood up screaming holding their huge black marlin.i saw 2 different sailfish jumping around a small island.

How many did you catch last year? In the last 5 years? How many per day spent on the water?

Zero caught, none fished for. Plenty speared.

Days spent on the water, many cant count then alL, I spearfish. Live in Phuket. Have seen many of them for sale in local markets and vendors. Seen them carried on the backs of bikes and 3-wheelers back and forth many times.

Plenty of inshore fish, dont let people who have "no clue" ruin your ambitions.

Have seen sailfish in the wild jumping.

OP like I explained wrong time of year just a little early. This is the time of year when winds change from southerly monsoons to north winter winds. Couple months for now fish will return and fishing good on the west coast.

post-198680-14426545458714_thumb.jpg

post-198680-14426546076083_thumb.jpg

post-198680-14426546590802_thumb.jpg

Last time i was here was 5 years ago. Fished in gulf too much, then went to koh lanta in krabi. Fished one time, there was a charter from phucket and our longtail captain asked the sportfishing boat if they caught anything. 6 people stood up screaming holding their huge black marlin.i saw 2 different sailfish jumping around a small island.

Best of luck if you do go. Please post back your results. I'd love to be proven wrong and hear there's a weekend trip from BKK that would put me into some nice fish.

But my skepticism shows through because I've been on too many "dream" fishing trips that cost an arm and a leg and resulted in 12-24 hour boat rides and the mantra: "Should have been here last week" (or 3 years ago, which is when they took all those pictures for the website.) That's not just Thailand, BTW.

In fairness to 2fishing2 that's often the difference between a guy on a trip, and a guy that lives somewhere. One's got a definitive time window, the other has to do something on weekends- may as well be fishing... I used to have the same experience living in So California. I gleaned the fishing reports each week, and decided whether to fish that weekend or not. No way I'd fly in blind and hop on a fishing boat- the odds weren't good on a random day. But on the good days, watch out.

On an aside, I wish they did updated daily or even weekly fishing reports in Thailand like they do on the 3 US coasts. I'd be a lot more likely to part with my time and money if I knew they were catching something this week- as opposed to seeing the same website photos for 3 or 4 years running..

Edited by impulse

Ranong is where you want to go for fishing. There are a few boats that go out of there. They do all kind of fishing, sport and bottom fishing to include overnighters. They take great fish in that area as its in close proximity to fathom lines and deep water of the Andaman. Do some googling and you will see.

A beautiful island is Koh Lipe. I dont know about fishing there but, spearing is great. Its a great little island to visit and who knows maybe there is some fishing there also.

Try and google Kit Ranong. Hes the big fishing guy there. He use to be on facebook also.

I hear ya impulse and i was really skeptical after 4 trips in the gulf. Only small little delicous snapper, but once i saw what i did on the andaman i knew it could really happen! I thought i was scammed before but realized no one will catch a big game fish on a cheap group tour alough i enjoy fishing enough where i still had a really really good time!

Thanks 2fishin2, i will definately look him up and check out that area. From my online research before the similan islands looked promising and think ranong would be a good alternative to expensive phucket!!

Definately not a rich guy who deosnt work physically all day to make my living!

Dont have high expectations and you might get surprised. I just checked facebook and he is on there. Google Kit Ranong and he will show up. Here is another site in that general area. http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/saltwater_fishing/burma_banks.html

Bad time of year but, fish are out there maybe not a sailfish. Good luck and if you score, post up your report

I went out in a long tail in late Oct. out of Krabi. Might be difficult to find a boat nowadays.

The boat man was an idiot. Bait was huge and for some reason he thought you were supposed to yank as soon as the fish hit.

Anyhow I got 2 sailfish tail standing. Was good enough for me. As a tourist, what would I do with one. Yeah, yeah, I know about the restaurants.

caught marlin(only kept first one) in Australia along with heaps of various pelagics and good game fish etc, actually brought all my lures, tackle and various style gear over here(heaviest outfit15kg) with me but yet to see anything worthwhile on the end of it. Seen some nice spanish mackeral caught as well as a few other good fish but if you really want beakies your best bet is visit Australia. Like the cobia 2fishin2 speared, that is something that would be be great to be on the end of a line, trouble is they are not easy to find. Sport fishing is something I took very seriously before coming here but have just about given up on it due the the decimation of the thai fish stocks, worked some great looking grounds that should have produced fish but not even a follow. With all the heavy seas still going for a couple of months in the south chances of getting out to where you can catch them is not the best and winds/currents are wrong, might have to wait a few months or go elsewhere.

Check out Kuala Rompin in Malaysia if you want sailfish. My friends and I caught and released 9 sails in 1 day in early October a couple of years ago. We could have caught at lot more if the boat captain hadn't just anchored in one place and let the sailfish find our bait. Still... 9 sails in 1 day!! Awesome!!!

Edited by EddieBaBaBoBo

Hi, to help a fellow fisho....

Try this guy in the link, a friend of mine (www.facebook.com/patrick.erler.79?fref=ts). He has a boat based down in Kuala Rompin in Malaysia, an underrated HOT SPOT for sail fish here in SE Asia. As the other gentleman has already mentioned it is quite possible to get 9 or so sails in one day, catch and release of course! In fact about now is the high season there too I believe...contact Patrick... a very nice and helpful guy, I am sure that you wont regret it!!!

Tight Lines!!! w00t.gif

Ah, yes i read about the andaman islands. Unfortunately that trip would be a little expensive for me! Just trying to keep it local thailand. I wish i had more time/money! Maybe in the future i would love to.. this wedding thing keeps adding up!

"................this wedding thing keeps adding up!"

Oh yeah! At least the price of gold is down. thumbsup.gif

As stated by a couple of lads Kuala Rompin is where you need to go if you want sailfish. Its 4-5 hours by road from KLIA and September/October is peak season. Havn't been for 2 years but did the previous 4 typically for 4 days mid September. The record sailfish catch in a single day for one boat fishing 0900-1600 was 27 and all released. Its not cheap but sailfish are pretty mch guaranteed during the peak time.

Hey big fun, thanks! I have been shaking in a corner since i read your post, biting my finger nails. I dont think i can fly my 9 family members there although i could do it after they leave when i am supposed to be spending time with HER family lol maybe they can come.

Gtg! Cannot text and drive in central plaza!

How much whould i expect to spend? Ill do reseach later for sure but a ballpark estimate o would definately appreciate!

For Rompin? If so it was around $1,200/day for 2 all inclusive. Pick up & drop KL/all fishing costs including quality gear / all food and accommdation. Boats leave the dock at 0800 and back in by 1700. That was with an English lad who has been in Malaysia for 30 years. Recommend 4 days and maximum of 3 anglers.

Patrick who was mentioned used to be into fly fishing tours but as I said its been a couple of years.