Aspirin now a prescription drug ?

ukrules

It wouldn't surprise me one bit as the Bayer Aspirin is 500mg but the normal over the counter ones are 8x mg.

The 8x mg is used to avoid blood clots and often called “heart Asperin”; the normal painkillers typically comes in 500 mg, and they are to my knowledge and experience sold without prescription, just like 500 mg paracetamol and 500 ibuprofen – if “over the counter” sale has changed, it must be within the last two weeks or few days...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The precursor explanation sounds correct. There is another reason, though. The west, headed by the UK NIH, has been trying to get aspirin banned for about 15 years for infants and teens.

The attempts to ban aspirin for those 19 years of age and younger, stems from its strong association with Reye's syndrome, an acquired encephalopathy. I suspect that heart patients (me included) will still be able to get a script for a month's worth of 81 mg aspirin, though you'll probably have to take a solemn pledge not to give any to the kiddies...unless they've got rheumatic fever, in which case a doc will script 100 mg. Somehow the powers that be have to write those items into the regulations.

At an American FDA conference several years ago, and FDA administrator told me that if aspirin was submitted for approval today FDA would most likely refuse it's approval as a drug.

I haven't taken an aspirin in 40 years. No need if you know which medicinal herbs to use.

It is a possibility that something might be happening. I would suggest stocking up on the Aspent and see what happens.

This is what I'm thinking. When they do this the first companies to comply are the large ones, then it trickles down from there as the distributors, wholesalers and small privately owned pharmacies eventually run out of stock.

The same thing happened with pseudoephedrine in cold medicines a couple of years back. It was the one thing which would make a big difference when you have a cold. It started at the large companies and worked its way down the supply chain over six months or so. Apparently you can't get it now.

They're removing pseudoephedrine from stores in US as well. It's an ingredient for making methamphetamine (SP?).

It is an ingredient for meth-making as you say, but they're not "removing" it and it is still available, unless this is something new within the last month or so. You just have to "sign the log" (the reqts probably vary somewhat from state to state), and the amount you can buy per month is limited (also can vary by state). A small hassle, and I expect many people are switching to the alternative decongestant compounds because of it, but pseudoephedrine is still available in the U.S. Some places have the old PE-containing product boxes on the shelf in clear plastic boxes which you take to the counter to get the real box. Others just have it stocked behind the counters somewhere - like cigarettes.

But aspirin?! The nanny state to the rescue once again... (But every election day we go right on asking for this.)

The precursor explanation sounds correct. There is another reason, though. The west, headed by the UK NIH, has been trying to get aspirin banned for about 15 years for infants and teens.

The attempts to ban aspirin for those 19 years of age and younger, stems from its strong association with Reye's syndrome, an acquired encephalopathy. I suspect that heart patients (me included) will still be able to get a script for a month's worth of 81 mg aspirin, though you'll probably have to take a solemn pledge not to give any to the kiddies...unless they've got rheumatic fever, in which case a doc will script 100 mg. Somehow the powers that be have to write those items into the regulations.

At an American FDA conference several years ago, and FDA administrator told me that if aspirin was submitted for approval today FDA would most likely refuse it's approval as a drug.

I haven't taken an aspirin in 40 years. No need if you know which medicinal herbs to use.

You might want to tell the medical establishment because they are still prescribing aspirin. Not that doctors know anything as opposed to internet posters with no medical credentials.

yes it is....just dose is different

That's why I said cut it up. 5 baht for the 81 and .0001 baht for the cut up pill.

Except if you cut the pill it's no longer fully enteric coated and creates problems for people with gastric complaints.!

Ya I guess it would but I don't know if mine are enteric coated as the bottle does not say.

That is why the dispersible is a better option.

You might want to tell the medical establishment because they are still prescribing aspirin. Not that doctors know anything as opposed to internet posters with no medical credentials.

Tell them what?? I never said it shouldn't be prescribed. I simply wrote about an FDA official's opinion.

BTW, my "credentials" on medicinal herbs ... and drugs derived from them ... are well know and respected in USA and Europe. It's been my career and life's work for forty years, I founded and own on of the biggest and most well-respected medicinal herbs companies in USA, and I recently received an honorary PhD for science from the National College of Naturopathic Medicine, a 60 year old accredited medical institute.

Edited by HerbalEd

Tell them what?? I never said it shouldn't be prescribed. I simply wrote about an FDA official's opinion.

BTW, my "credentials" on medicinal herbs ... and drugs derived from them ... are well know and respected in USA and Europe. It's been my career and life's work for forty years, I founded and own on of the biggest and most well-respected medicinal herbs companies in USA, and I recently received an honorary PhD for science from the National College of Naturopathic Medicine, a 60 year old accredited medical institute.

You wrote, "At an American FDA conference several years ago, and FDA administrator told me that if aspirin was submitted for approval today FDA would most likely refuse it's approval as a drug.

I haven't taken an aspirin in 40 years. No need if you know which medicinal herbs to use."

If that is not implying aspirin should not be prescribed I don't know what is. wai2.gif

Edited by lostoday

Finally went to a real pharmacy and was able to get the 81 mg Aspirin.

Than came home and read the MSN news summaries of the day.

According to the on-line news site "Pro-Publica" there is a court case in the US to ban acetaminophen, (the generic form of aspirin).

Finally went to a real pharmacy and was able to get the 81 mg Aspirin.

Than came home and read the MSN news summaries of the day.

According to the on-line news site "Pro-Publica" there is a court case in the US to ban acetaminophen, (the generic form of aspirin).

Acetaminophen (ex. Tylenol) is probably the major OTC alternative to aspirin (which is acetylsalicylic acid). Some people swear by it, and it's superior as a pain suppressant in some instances at least. But it's also been held to cause liver damage when misused/overused. I suspect the track record where misuse is implicated is what's fueling the movement to ban it. I'd like to hear the statistics on actual injury when it's actually been used as directed.