PM to present Sufficiency Economy at 70th UN General Assembly in New York

Lite Beer

The General is not an expert on the sufficiency economy. He has advisers who support the concept and it makes a lot of sense. If people can grow their own food and depend less on other people for their survival, it creates a winning solution for Thailand. The country needs to import less and can export the overage. Electricity, water and other resources are not wasted and individuals are more in control of their lives. Of course people in the West will point out all the reasons it will not work. They are part of the materialist capitalism supporters who want to keep poorer people dependent on them.

What is disturbing is that so many people just dismiss the concept out of hand because the Thai Prime Minister has come on board and wishes to present this concept. I keep saying give him a chance to attempt to right some of the wrongs people on this board point out on a continuous basis. Prior governments did nothing to stop the corruption. Why not give him a chance? If he fails, there will be plenty of time to criticize him then.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The General is not an expert on the sufficiency economy. He has advisers who support the concept and it makes a lot of sense. If people can grow their own food and depend less on other people for their survival, it creates a winning solution for Thailand. The country needs to import less and can export the overage. Electricity, water and other resources are not wasted and individuals are more in control of their lives. Of course people in the West will point out all the reasons it will not work. They are part of the materialist capitalism supporters who want to keep poorer people dependent on them.

What is disturbing is that so many people just dismiss the concept out of hand because the Thai Prime Minister has come on board and wishes to present this concept. I keep saying give him a chance to attempt to right some of the wrongs people on this board point out on a continuous basis. Prior governments did nothing to stop the corruption. Why not give him a chance? If he fails, there will be plenty of time to criticize him then.

Is sufficiency economy growing your own food? Ya right. Perhaps you need to do a little homework before posting.wai2.gif If the general and all his supporters in Bangkok are going to start growing food let me know. Or if you have any examples of what sufficiency economy is and how it is being successfully practiced by any large numbers of Thai people please let us in on the secret.

What you are talking about is sustainable agriculture that was introduced in Europe in the 1600's.

What chance exactly do you you want us to give him? He's talking the talk but he's not walking the walk, and has shown that again and again from when he graciously relieved the "misguided" population of the right to vote.

He is supposedly spearheading the right against corruption but is unwilling to let anyone have a look at his personal finances. He preaches sustainability but I'm pretty sure he doesn't live in modest dwellings and grow his own food, so where is his credibility??

I have no idea whether the General grows his own food; has huge tracts of land; or what his income is and I really don't care. His task is to put Thailand back on track; and make it a better place for everyone to live and prosper. There have been few prior Thai governments that have been able to do anything for the average Thai person. The vote has been suspended because past governments have subverted the process through money politics and an attempt to destroy Thailand's culture and its traditions. If I had to guess, there may be a transition to an appointed civilian leader and then elections. I am sure the General is as weary as I am at the constant criticism directed at his good intentions.

Now regarding the sufficiency economy or sufficiency agriculture- it is a concept that attempts to encourage people to try and refrain from its exact opposite the Consumer Economy which is what the West espouses and has infected Thailand. Much of this is excess consumerism which benefits no one and keeps the wealthy in the World grossly wealthy while the rest work for minimal wages. A perfect example is the I-phone- which is made in China and sold as an American product. It is massively overpriced and marketed in such a way that everyone has to have it. It uses Third World labor to support First World wealth. This is the philosophy of materialistic capitalism- greed is good. And anytime a person attempts to push another concept such as Self Sufficiency- they are attacked . The World has finite resources, The days of over consumption; four cars in every garage; and dining on fine wine and lobster are coming to an end. Will you be able to survive? Our ancestors managed to survive on a lot less and seemed to thrive. I am not hoping for a return to the Middle Ages- but would a little bit of humility, fairness in life and justice as well as doing with less be so bad? I grew up in a society where people shared with each other. Now, all people do is yell at each other.

I do not mind when posters disagree with me or each other on concepts or ideas, however , when you you use personal terms to attack me- I draw the line. Calling me an old geezer who in your mind knows nothing is way beyond the decorum of discussion. You should be ashamed of yourself. How old I am, what color my skin is; or any other of my personal characteristics does not matter. Do you really think because you are younger than I am that you know more about everything than I do. I shall not engage you any longer on any subject. Your prejudice and bias have made you a non person in my eyes, If I wasn't a gentleman, I would tell you what I really think!!

I have no idea whether the General grows his own food; has huge tracts of land; or what his income is and I really don't care. His task is to put Thailand back on track; and make it a better place for everyone to live and prosper. There have been few prior Thai governments that have been able to do anything for the average Thai person. The vote has been suspended because past governments have subverted the process through money politics and an attempt to destroy Thailand's culture and its traditions. If I had to guess, there may be a transition to an appointed civilian leader and then elections. I am sure the General is as weary as I am at the constant criticism directed at his good intentions.

Now regarding the sufficiency economy or sufficiency agriculture- it is a concept that attempts to encourage people to try and refrain from its exact opposite the Consumer Economy which is what the West espouses and has infected Thailand. Much of this is excess consumerism which benefits no one and keeps the wealthy in the World grossly wealthy while the rest work for minimal wages. A perfect example is the I-phone- which is made in China and sold as an American product. It is massively overpriced and marketed in such a way that everyone has to have it. It uses Third World labor to support First World wealth. This is the philosophy of materialistic capitalism- greed is good. And anytime a person attempts to push another concept such as Self Sufficiency- they are attacked . The World has finite resources, The days of over consumption; four cars in every garage; and dining on fine wine and lobster are coming to an end. Will you be able to survive? Our ancestors managed to survive on a lot less and seemed to thrive. I am not hoping for a return to the Middle Ages- but would a little bit of humility, fairness in life and justice as well as doing with less be so bad? I grew up in a society where people shared with each other. Now, all people do is yell at each other.

I give up.You haven't bothered to read even the basics about the Sufficiency Economy.Dr Chris Baker wrote the UNDP report and his explanatory note covers the essentials.

You seem to think it's just about consumerism.In fact the SE is rather clear about how to prosper in a globalised world.Read up on the background and don't be so woolly.

I give up.You haven't bothered to read even the basics about the Sufficiency Economy.Dr Chris Baker wrote the UNDP report and his explanatory note covers the essentials.

You seem to think it's just about consumerism.In fact the SE is rather clear about how to prosper in a globalised world.Read up on the background and don't be so woolly.

I wonder if Baker is now embarassed by his writings on the "sufficienty economy" which is basically an anti-development tract.

For the last 16 months the Prayut regime has failed sufficiency of the economy. With his absolute powers he has had more time and opportunity than former PM Yingluck in her first year in office. Yet the economy was measurably better during Yingluck's regime than it was under Prayut's regime.

He would do better to present to the UN his Sufficiency for Dictatorship that has been an unqualified success!

He had everything he needed including food, medicinal herbs, timber and

firewood for his own family and neighbours. I grow everything I want to eat and use in this forest.

Sufficiency Economy in Action

“We should grow what we can eat and use for our own consumption first. Then we may sell the surplus.

I don’t need chemical fertilizer. In the natural forest there are no chemicals but the trees still grow very well. Trees with deeper roots get their food from deeper down. As they grow, their leaves fall, rot, and become nutrients for smaller trees and plants with shallower roots.” When he needs extra money such as fees for his children’s higher education, he sells his cows.

My life today is much better. My own garden gives me safe food and medicinal plants which keep me healthy and free of sickness. I believe that prevention is the best solution to health care.

As they say, you are what you eat.

So in closing let me remind everyone.

He had everything he needed including food, medicinal herbs, timber and firewood for his own family and neighbors. I grow everything I want to eat and use in this forest.

No problem.

Edited by lostoday

I would welcome if the government should follow this principle as well as the citizens - but the questions is whether they are following what they preach: e.g. submarines purchase and no water for crops (how can farmers be self sufficient without water?)?

Is this basically a refined way of keeping everybody in their place - rich and poor - as criticism of this economic policy could also be viewed as criticism of its author?