E-Channel for Permanent Residents

It is allegedly now possible to register to use the E-Channel gates at Suvarnabhumi. I was told today that all I needed to register was a copy of my referee's ID card and household registration, and to have at least two years in my current passport. You can register on your way out or coming in.

I queried why, having PR, I needed a referee - "because you always have to have a referee for a visa and that's what happens in your country too". I disputed this but the officer, a Captain, was adamant. I'd like to have argued further but I bit my tongue.

I don't know how long it takes, after registering, to be able to use the service. And you also apparently have to continue to travel with the stupid little blue book. Doubtless we'll still have to have that stamped in and out or something.

Has anyone actually managed to register for the service and also been able to use it?

I was told by a very excited Immigration guy a few weeks back, coming in, that the service was up and running, but when I went to try and register then it turned out this guy didn't know what he was talking about.

• Like 1

^ As I said in my original post the Immigration people at the airport said the blue book will still be required. I forgot to say that they also said the passport has to be one with a chip.

<deleted> knows what system they will use. HKG for instance is great; register as a Frequent Visitor (if you qualify), have your fingerprints taken, and then you get a bar code sticker on the back of your passport. That gets scanned by a reader at the e-gate, in you go, index finger on another scanner, all done in 30 seconds.

For all I know here they'll have a special e-gate that you go through to get to an immigration guy who then stamps your passport and blue book. Still, if it means I'm not stuck in a queue of 20 Chinese tourists, none of whom have filled in their sodding landing cards, I won't complain.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

E-Channel system for us PR holders is up and running at Suvarnabhumi. Very friendly and helpful Immigration officers did my registration for me on way back in a few weeks back (took about 45 minutes, includes photo and fingerprint scan). Recently made another trip in and out and it worked perfectly - maybe 15 seconds from scanning passport to exiting e-gate. No stamps in passport or blue book (no-one asked to see the blue book but, when I asked an IO, I was told we still needed to carry it). Since there were big queues of people waiting in the other lines the e-channel was incredibly helpful. Plus not getting the stamps in your passport is a big help for frequent travellers.

Immigration deserves some thanks for introducing this system.

That's a great news. Can you give more details on it? Where do we go and contact if we are flying out? What documents required? etc. etc.

^ I think I just needed current passport and blue book but I also took my household reg book and police book. Don't recall using copies of anything. When you get to the Immigration counters just tell them you want to register for the e-channel system and they'll get someone to come and help you out.

You'll need to be able to provide details of your referee in Thailand (name, address and ID number - in my case my wife). As I said above Immigration will also need to check that whatever nationality passport you have is compatible with the system (mine's UK).

Good luck.

• Like 2

^ I think I just needed current passport and blue book but I also took my household reg book and police book. Don't recall using copies of anything. When you get to the Immigration counters just tell them you want to register for the e-channel system and they'll get someone to come and help you out.

You'll need to be able to provide details of your referee in Thailand (name, address and ID number - in my case my wife). As I said above Immigration will also need to check that whatever nationality passport you have is compatible with the system (mine's UK).

Good luck.

I see. Well it arises few question, after registering, how will the system know in future (after 1-2 year) that we have a re entry endorsement or not? when it expires? technically you can't return if you don't have a re entry but as the case here, your blue book will not be checked anymore. What in future you don't do the re entry and leave? and come back after 3-4 years? you just swipe the passport and enter. No other checks.

Edited by sas_cars

• 3 months later...

Being the fretful kind, not having stamps in passport and residence certificate make me worried the police have you over a barrel when they check both books. It looks like I go out through the e-channel, a re-entry stamp in passport and come back to find the machines not working. Friendly police then will say go to the normal entry booth where the immigration officer says "where are the stamps to show you left the country?" Is there an official regulation we can print and keep with us?

Is the E-channel only available for PR holders or can foreigners with 1 year extensions of stay also register to use the system?

I'm sure it would be helpful for those who have extensions of stay for business, amongst others.

It is only for those that have PR.

Good luck.

great information, thank you.

Did you apply for the e-channel on the way out of Thailand or on the way in? (I suppose you can apply either way.)

Good luck.

great information, thank you.

Did you apply for the e-channel on the way out of Thailand or on the way in? (I suppose you can apply either way.)

I applied on the way out, a very friendly lady did the whole thing for me, but it took around half an hour or so for everything to up and running. So arrive sometime ahead of your flight departure to have everything done in time. You are entered in the system as long as your re-entry permit valid. And Also, your reentry permit should be valid for more than 6 months at the time of application.

You'll have to repeat the process every year after getting a new reentry permit.

• 2 months later...

Being the fretful kind, not having stamps in passport and residence certificate make me worried the police have you over a barrel when they check both books. It looks like I go out through the e-channel, a re-entry stamp in passport and come back to find the machines not working. Friendly police then will say go to the normal entry booth where the immigration officer says "where are the stamps to show you left the country?" Is there an official regulation we can print and keep with us?

When I went to renew my re-entry permit at CW end of last year I told them I couldn't remember when I last entered because I travel quite frequently, and since I'm using the e-channel I have no stamps. They didn't bat an eyelid because all the details are on the computer system. When you go in/out through the e-channel the system scans your passport, boarding ticket, fingerprint and iris (or at least you have to look into a camera). I guess you could hoard your boarding passes if so inclined and keep those as a back-up 'record' but the system does seem to be strangely efficient.

Also just to add that registering a new re-entry permit into the system did not take very long at all when I did it at the airport on my next trip out.

When I went to renew my re-entry permit at CW end of last year I told them I couldn't remember when I last entered because I travel quite frequently, and since I'm using the e-channel I have no stamps. They didn't bat an eyelid because all the details are on the computer system. When you go in/out through the e-channel the system scans your passport, boarding ticket, fingerprint and iris (or at least you have to look into a camera). I guess you could hoard your boarding passes if so inclined and keep those as a back-up 'record' but the system does seem to be strangely efficient.

Also just to add that registering a new re-entry permit into the system did not take very long at all when I did it at the airport on my next trip out.

Thanks, good to know that updating the registration with a new re-entry is painless. I had wondered whether it might not be, or require going through the whole process again as another poster suggested.

A couple of questions.

Where is the Immigration office for this at departures? (I did my registration at arrivals)

On arrival, has anyone been there to collect your TM6 arrival card at the Autochannel? The last 2 times I arrived there hasn't been so I have got home and just thrown it away. Seems a bit strange after treating that slip of paper as something important for so many years.

^ At Departures (Suvarnabhumi) I just went to the main Immigration counter / seating area immediately after you go through passport control.

There's always been someone there to scoop up the arrival card whenever I've come back.

• Like 1

^ At Departures (Suvarnabhumi) I just went to the main Immigration counter / seating area immediately after you go through passport control.

There's always been someone there to scoop up the arrival card whenever I've come back.

Thanks for info. Cheers

• 1 month later...

I tried to apply today on my way out but just about didn't have enough time (takes app 30-45 minutes I was told). The immigration officers were super friendly and helpful though. I forgot to ask where to apply on the way in? Could anybody advise please?

I tried to apply today on my way out but just about didn't have enough time (takes app 30-45 minutes I was told). The immigration officers were super friendly and helpful though. I forgot to ask where to apply on the way in? Could anybody advise please?

If you go through the entrance to the Premium Lane (in between the 2 main immigration halls) there is an Immigration office on the right hand side before the counters. That is where I applied.

Make sure you have the name, address and ID card number of a Thai guarantor (no idea why that is required). You also need at least 6 months remaining on your current re-entry.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2016 at 8:31 AM, alantan88 said:

Anybody successfully register the E-Channel gate at Don Mueng airport?

I've just tried at Don Mueang airport - I have PR and am leaving on a flight to China. Even though they have e-gates here, you can't register to use them here - only at Suvarnabhumi, according to the staff (I went to a senior officer as the one on the desk said only Thais could use the e-gates). Once you've registered at BKK, you can use them at DMK. The officer did think that maybe in the future you'd be able to register at DMK, but didn't know when. 

So this is the second time I've unsuccessfully tried to register - the first time at BKK I had less than 6 months remaining on my re-entry/exit so they wouldn't let me..... 

• 1 month later...

I've finally managed to register for the e-gates - all as mentioned here - the office is at the entrance to the premium lanes between the 2 main immigration areas the public use. Registration took about 15 mins - you fill in a couple of forms and provide ID of a Thai guarantor (in my case, my wife). They take your photo and fingerprints, and then send you on your way (on your own) to the e-gates, telling you it might or might not work this time! In my case, it did, and there was a helpful guy there to help out - so quickly, that I hardly registered what he did, but I think it was, scan the passport, enter flight no. and deposit the immigration form. Once inside the gate, you have your pic taken, and then fingerprint read - and  hey presto, the gate opens and you are through! (got some funny looks from other people in the regular queues) - but obviosuly minus any stamps in passport or PR book. 

I tried last week but to no avail. When checked in at immigration using premium lane, I asked the officer and was informed that E-Channel is applicable for Thais only. 

Haddo:

1) May I know to whom I need to refer to? I wish to try again.

2) Can we register without checking in?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Anymore experiences on this? My lawyer does not recommend it. 

“As we discussed with the Immigration airport officer, they told that you can contact them at Suvarnbhumi airport , Fl.2 , Arrivals Middle Zone to fill form and register. The first step will takes a longer time with new system and there were a lot of problems uploading your information.

After you complete the form ,the Immigration airport office will register you on their computer and take your photo and register your fingerprints. If you are taking a flight that day, you need to go early as you need to allow at least 30 minutes for the registration process. Kindly noted that Auto channel , they no need for stamps in your passport or residence book.

Therefore, it is easy and fast to travel but we have not guarantee that it will be effect with other immigration where you travel or some government places in Thailand such as Thai Bank, Police station will require records of arrival and departure stamps in your passport and residence book when you contact them.

However, we have not recommended to do this because of you will have no record of arrival and departure stamps in your passport and residence book. It will be complicated and takes time when the immigration officer at Chaeng wattana to recheck the stamps on Endorsement and re-entry submission date. It might be have problem incurred in the future. However, you can use for some time as urgently but keep some arrival-departure stamp in passport.”

I have been using the AutoChannel for a couple of years and had none of the problems your lawyer mentions.

Maybe he/she doesn't know that Immigration place a small "AutoChannel" sticker in the back of your passport which you can show anyone that is dubious about the lack of stamps.

I have been using Autochannel for several months now. It took more than 30 minutes to register, but that's why I did it upon arrival and not departure,. and I brought enough time and didn't have a plane to catch. I am very happy not to stand in line, and not to get these stamps in the passport that fill it up within 3 years.

I have yet to go to Immigration to renew the re-entry permit (excuse me, "endorsement"). A few years ago I asked them to look into the arrival and departure records for some other reasons, and it was available to them at their fingertips. I do not expect any delays because of using the autochannel, as otherwise we would have heard it here already.

Why would a bank or police station require an entry stamp? They don't even see my passport, they only see the link ID card.

• Like 1