Motorcyclist seriously injured in South Pattaya Road Crash

webfact

Motorcyclist seriously injured in South Pattaya Road Crash

crash-23.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A motorcyclist who is thought to have jumped a red traffic light, was seriously injured in a road crash early on Saturday Morning close to the Tepprasit Road in South Pattaya.

Police and medics attended the scene of the crash on the Sukhumvit Road close to the Tepprasit Road junction and attended to the motorbike driver who was unable to give his name and was not carrying any ID with him.

The bike was struck by a Toyota Vigo pick-up truck, driven by Khun Tamalong aged 37, who was driving to Chonburi City when he struck the motorbike, which witnesses claimed jumped a red traffic light and attempted to turn into the Tepprasit Road from the Sukhumvit Road.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/218062/motorcyclist-seriously-injured-in-south-pattaya-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-09-21

i hope he doesn't lose this leg, horrible.

but, as a big bike rider in Thailand, or anywhere I know you have to ride ultra defensibly.

jumping lights, hot dogging it through intersections and assuming the right of way will get you killed here.

Indeed, i also ride a big bike.. but I don't jump red lights and in general even have scooters pass me in traffic. I just don't do all the things some of those scooter riders do.

but, as a big bike rider in Thailand, or anywhere I know you have to ride ultra defensibly.

jumping lights, hot dogging it through intersections and assuming the right of way will get you killed here.

Indeed, i also ride a big bike.. but I don't jump red lights and in general even have scooters pass me in traffic. I just don't do all the things some of those scooter riders do.

Same here. I am astounded at what I see at intersections all the time, whether I'm on the Harley or the Honda (scooter). People whizzing through intersections long after the light has turned red. People (usually guys on scooters but sometimes girls as well) crossing an intersection while there is obviously (to me at least) traffic approaching at high speed. And that's just on average days when the weather is good and you'd expect that most would be sober.

I'm probably more amazed that those kinds of accidents aren't happening 2-3 times a day just in Pattaya alone.

The motorcycle riders most of them for some reason are always in a hurry and the have seen God knows how many times jumping the signal and driving or passing you from the wrong side with such speed that can kill the rider instantly.

Same here. I am astounded at what I see at intersections all the time, whether I'm on the Harley...

Christ, another pissing contest from the "big bike" boys. What has the size of your bikes got to do with the comments you made?

As irrelevant as it is, I drive a big car, that trumps all of you.

Yesterday, I was stopped with traffic on Pattaya 2nd and Pattaya Klang. The red light count

down ticked down to 1 and the guy on the scooter beside me cracked open the throttle. He

accelerated at full tilt, of course the light turned green as he entered the intersection, but at

almost the same instant a scooter with passenger traveling at 80 km running the red light

passed directly behind him between the drag racer and the rest of us starting to throttle up.

The full broadside was missed by inches. For pedestrians and drivers even when the light

turns green you have to watch for red light runners, (I have watched as many as 6 cars race

through a red light) and similarly if you are riding a scooter and stopping for a red light you have

to be careful not to be run down from behind. Never stop for a yellow light. Of course at night

driving home from an evening out both cars and bikes jump red lights with regularity. They

save at least 10-15 seconds on there trip so worth it to them I guess. whistling.gif

Same here. I am astounded at what I see at intersections all the time, whether I'm on the Harley...

Christ, another pissing contest from the "big bike" boys. What has the size of your bikes got to do with the comments you made?

i drive a big bike and a big car.. i trump you cheesy.gif

And the size of the bike is a good indication of the ability to ride a motorbike as not everyone can ride one without getting killed. In general people who ride big bikes are more careful and usually better schooled as driving as the average scooter rider.

This is a generalization so there are obviously exceptions.

The motorcycle riders most of them for some reason are always in a hurry and the have seen God knows how many times jumping the signal and driving or passing you from the wrong side with such speed that can kill the rider instantly.

.........or when there is obviously some obstacle or hazard up ahead and the traffic is slowing down or have stopped you always get some jerk who not only keeps going through the gaps between the vehicles but accelerates while doing so . <deleted> ?!blink.png

No they were not having a pissing contest at all but the 2 answering poster said they ride big bikes, what's wrong with that?

I am also riding a big bike (I am not telling the cc in order not to piss somebody offwhistling.gif ) and I agree with all the bike posters said.

Oh by the way, I also drive a pick-up truck sometimes, raining/big shopping but I normally uses scooter downtown, easy to park everywhere.

Although it appears he brought this on himself I hope the biker can make a full recovery and learn from it,but unfortunately 2 words seem to be missing from the Thai vocabulary, and they are WAIT&PATIENCE.The words that seems to be most popular amongst nearly all Thai vehicle drivers are me me me me me me.

i drive a big bike and a big car.. i trump you cheesy.gif

And the size of the bike is a good indication of the ability to ride a motorbike as not everyone can ride one without getting killed. In general people who ride big bikes are more careful and usually better schooled as driving as the average scooter rider.

This is a generalization so there are obviously exceptions.

Kindly reference the source for this info.
Or are you just making it up.

They never learn.

Jumping the lights, racing like mad, no mirror and not looking back etc. etc.

Combined with the close to zero police checks/penalties, what will change?

A young girl was killed here (some rural place upcountry) last week.

Lane changing/turning without any check, no mirror.

Her friend is still on intensive care.

Of course no helmet. Helmet rate estimated at 5% ?

Such accidents happen multiple times per year on our rural road.

....agree with the general gist of the posters....frenetic motorbike riding without a helmet is recipe for disaster. Best to focus on one's turn signals---helmet strap and traffic. If I have a Tai hottie that is a yakker passenger..I tell her to <deleted>---she knows what it means.

So many ways to get creamed in Thai traffic. We have ALL experienced close calls in our own ways and I think witnessing thus is why we are all commenting. We have all seen Somchai without helmet, on a tricked out scooter WITH GREAT MOTORBIKE HANDLING SKILLS...weave in and outta traffic and somehow make it.

This story is about one who used up his margin of safety and did not have Buddha on his side.

More Fanta, please.