Where can I get a good dehumidifier?

Hal65

So far I've bought my appliances at Big C but I hear dehumidifiers can be hit or miss. I'm not even sure if Big C has dehumidifiers actually.

Are there any other options? I'm open to used units as long as the shop is reputable.

This will be interesting. The only really good dehumidifier I know of is an air conditioner. As the air passes through and is cooled, that condenses the moisture in the air which runs off to wherever was planned to get rid of it. I often turn my aircon down a couple of degrees not because I'm too warm but because I want it to run and remove humidity.

Cheers.

This will be interesting. The only really good dehumidifier I know of is an air conditioner. As the air passes through and is cooled, that condenses the moisture in the air which runs off to wherever was planned to get rid of it. I often turn my aircon down a couple of degrees not because I'm too warm but because I want it to run and remove humidity.

Yes. I run my aircon all the time at 27 degrees in order to keep the humidity down. Higher temperatures dont actually bother me, as long as it's dry heat.

Running a good dehumidifier in tandem with aircon makes the aircon work better. The one thing I learned looking in Thailand about De H's is that most shops try to sell you an air purifier rather than an dehumidifier. I would probably get one of these;

http://www.lazada.co.th/edison-portable-dehumidifier-model-hd-45b-white-1586132.html

A big unit with a very big water storage part (which I think is critical really).

Running a good dehumidifier in tandem with aircon makes the aircon work better. The one thing I learned looking in Thailand about De H's is that most shops try to sell you an air purifier rather than an dehumidifier. I would probably get one of these;

http://www.lazada.co.th/edison-portable-dehumidifier-model-hd-45b-white-1586132.html

A big unit with a very big water storage part (which I think is critical really).

no it doesn't!

Cheers.

reducing fanspeed without changing thermostat settings is the easiest and most economic way to increase dehumidification. of course that does not apply if the unit runs already on the lowest fanspeed.

Most people's aircon units can be used as dehumidifiers. On the remote control press the mode button until ''raindrops'' logo appears on the screen. This is the correct mode. Unit will remove humidity with no temperature reduction.

all people's aircon units dehumidify even if they don't have an enhanced dehumidifying function. with the latter the outflow temperature is reduced caused by lower fan speed, in some cases the fan is stopped completely for intervalls up to 30 seconds while the compressor keeps running.

this is to obtain the lowest possible evaporator surface temperature required for highly efficient dehumidification without causing icing.

no it doesn't!

Yes it does.

no it doesn't!

Yes it does.

coffee1.gif

Well, having been flooded, I'm currently dealing with this. I've got a humidity gauge. It definitely goes down a bit inside when I have the dehumidify option on. But not by a lot. I tried the AC setting, and pretty much the same thing.

So...just got a bunch of fans, open the windows, and seeing how that dries stuff off! LOL An absolute mess.....

Well, having been flooded, I'm currently dealing with this. I've got a humidity gauge. It definitely goes down a bit inside when I have the dehumidify option on. But not by a lot. I tried the AC setting, and pretty much the same thing.

So...just got a bunch of fans, open the windows, and seeing how that dries stuff off! LOL An absolute mess.....

I dont think that an aircon is intended to deal with the sort of humidity you will be experiencing after your flooding. I think for that you would need some sort of professional dehumidifier like the one linked to above, though airflow will do the job eventually when the general humidity drops in a couple of months. I remember in Europe the insurance companies used to provide these devices after major flooding, which happened every few years near the area I lived in.

My aircon certainly does a great job of dehumidifying my condo when used on the regular cool setting at 27 degrees, but of course it isnt especially humid to start with. I have a wireless indoor/outdoor weather station gadget that shows this, and inside it's always in the "smiley" zone whilst outside it's nearly always "frowny".

That's terrible. I wish you the best with that...

no it doesn't!

Yes it does.

yes, but in wet dreams only tongue.png

on sunny days all windows open, fans at one side of the home blowing out is energy wise the cheapest dehumidifying option.

I've been experimenting with different options. I think the major factor is the humidity level outside. Which can vary widely here. I've had 99% humidity on my gauge several times! Crazy. Yesterday was 90% or so, today it's dropped to 74%. With just the windows open.

I'm trying the dehumidifer option now, and it's not changed at all. Actually went up a bit initially when I shut the windows. Still not down to the level outside, which is 74%. What to do!

But I agree, save the money on the AC and just use nature.

on sunny days all windows open, fans at one side of the home blowing out is energy wise the cheapest dehumidifying option.

Sun isnt so important. It's the outdoor humidity that counts. Today, for example, the humidity was very low (well, for Pattaya) and it was windy but the sun was not out. Even so it would have been a great day for drying.

I've been experimenting with different options. I think the major factor is the humidity level outside. Which can vary widely here. I've had 99% humidity on my gauge several times! Crazy. Yesterday was 90% or so, today it's dropped to 74%. With just the windows open.

I'm trying the dehumidifer option now, and it's not changed at all. Actually went up a bit initially when I shut the windows. Still not down to the level outside, which is 74%. What to do!

The structure of your house is damp. Even with the aircon (or dehumidifier) working full blast it will take days or even weeks to have much effect. So give it time.

As you noticed, a front went past today and the humidity is now very low ( for here - where I was in Europe 30% was common!). So make the most of it and open all the doors and windows on days like this. But as soon as the outdoor humidity goes back up you should shut the doors and use the machines. But do give them time.

Sun isnt so important. It's the outdoor humidity that counts. Today, for example, the humidity was very low (well, for Pattaya) and it was windy but the sun was not out. Even so it would have been a great day for drying.

thanks Einstein for this valuable hint coffee1.gif

I just did another very scientific test. Used all my calculus and physics knowledge. We are living in the house now, in the lounge. This morning, the humidity gauge inside was at 82%. I opened all the doors and windows and one hour later, it's at 72%. All 4 ACs were running in dehumidify mode all night. All doors and windows were closed all night.

I do notice the humidity tends to go up in the early evening. The lowest point yesterday was about 4PM. Ok, back to my studies....555555

I just did another very scientific test. Used all my calculus and physics knowledge. We are living in the house now, in the lounge. This morning, the humidity gauge inside was at 82%. I opened all the doors and windows and one hour later, it's at 72%. All 4 ACs were running in dehumidify mode all night. All doors and windows were closed all night.

I do notice the humidity tends to go up in the early evening. The lowest point yesterday was about 4PM. Ok, back to my studies....555555

your wife and kids must be very understanding and supportive. w00t.gif