Keen to teach in Thailand, worth the plunge and where to look?

CR12

Chris,

although you have a Master's and have worked in a non teaching role in the education industry, you are not a teacher. You have no education degrees, no teacher training and no teaching experience.

Of course, many people want to come and live and work in Thailand. But going into teaching to fund that etc is not the right way round. Would you be able to walk into a teaching job in the UK? If yes then fine. If no, then why would you expect to in Thailand.

Perhaps become a qualified experienced teacher first, and see if you are suited to it and like it. Then you can look overseas if that appeals.

Alternatively come and work at one of the private language schools. No idea how much they pay but they seem less concerned about standards.

I hate this "if no education degree you are not a teacher" argument. We are teaching English as a second language.

In most of Europe , Canada, USA, you can teach ESL with a TEFL, or TESOL diploma in language schools, community colleges, churches, and community centres.

If it's good enough for the Western world, why not good enough for Thailand?

When B.Ed degrees are insisted upon, Thailand's English education programs will plummet in quality.

Only Nigerians, Cameroonians, and Filipinos need apply.

Because there is a world of difference between what teachers "should" be doing with students who have studied English for so many hours at school, and what should be done with refugees and migrants who either learnt very little or perhaps a long time ago.

Schools in my country will only take people with Education degrees. They will not take French, Spanish, Chinese "teachers" just because they happen to be native speakers. We are talking about TCT regulations which govern schools aren't we? Private language centers can still hire who they want, can't they?

Your first sentence is incoherent.The English level in Thai schools is very close to zero.

Japan, Korea, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, and most countries worldwide are hiring native English speakers without Ed degrees because of the pay scale. If your country insists every teacher has a B.Ed ok.

If Thailand insists upon it, English language instruction will go through the toilet.

I have done a online Tefl course, it's not easy, but next year I will be teaching English as a foriegn language,it doesn't mater how good a teacher you are, the students come first, lesson plans, TTT, or prsentation, practice, production,, the students are paramount to the objective of the lesson, can't wait and I am 54...

Chris,

although you have a Master's and have worked in a non teaching role in the education industry, you are not a teacher. You have no education degrees, no teacher training and no teaching experience.

Of course, many people want to come and live and work in Thailand. But going into teaching to fund that etc is not the right way round. Would you be able to walk into a teaching job in the UK? If yes then fine. If no, then why would you expect to in Thailand.

Perhaps become a qualified experienced teacher first, and see if you are suited to it and like it. Then you can look overseas if that appeals.

Alternatively come and work at one of the private language schools. No idea how much they pay but they seem less concerned about standards.

I hate this "if no education degree you are not a teacher" argument. We are teaching English as a second language.

In most of Europe , Canada, USA, you can teach ESL with a TEFL, or TESOL diploma in language schools, community colleges, churches, and community centres.

If it's good enough for the Western world, why not good enough for Thailand?

When B.Ed degrees are insisted upon, Thailand's English education programs will plummet in quality.

Only Nigerians, Cameroonians, and Filipinos need apply.

Because there is a world of difference between what teachers "should" be doing with students who have studied English for so many hours at school, and what should be done with refugees and migrants who either learnt very little or perhaps a long time ago.

Schools in my country will only take people with Education degrees. They will not take French, Spanish, Chinese "teachers" just because they happen to be native speakers. We are talking about TCT regulations which govern schools aren't we? Private language centers can still hire who they want, can't they?

Your first sentence is incoherent.The English level in Thai schools is very close to zero.

Japan, Korea, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, and most countries worldwide are hiring native English speakers without Ed degrees because of the pay scale. If your country insists every teacher has a B.Ed ok.

If Thailand insists upon it, English language instruction will go through the toilet.

Language instruction is already in the toilet, as you alluded to in your first sentence. Yet you think trying to raise standards is going to make things worse? You also seem misinformed about what is happening in those other countries.

In Japan and Korea, you are assisting the local teacher who is a professional. The focus is on cultural exchange and hearing a native speaker's pronunciation and working together to create activities focused on speaking and listening. They are there to judge the appropriateness of what you are doing and are there to guide you. It is also becoming increasingly difficult to get a job there if your degree is not related to English. Work in Cambodia and Vietnam is largely limited to private language centres. So it's not accurate to say that those countries are hiring Native speakers to teach English the way it is being done in Thailand- where you are largely left to your own devices and someone who is not up to par is going to do far more damage.

Edited by Lorn

Lorn

Language instruction is already in the toilet, as you alluded to in your first sentence. Yet you think trying to raise standards is going to make things worse? You also seem misinformed about what is happening in those other countries.

In Japan and Korea, you are assisting the local teacher who is a professional. The focus is on cultural exchange and hearing a native speaker's pronunciation and working together to create activities focused on speaking and listening. They are there to judge the appropriateness of what you are doing and are there to guide you. It is also becoming increasingly difficult to get a job there if your degree is not related to English. Work in Cambodia and Vietnam is largely limited to private language centres. So it's not accurate to say that those countries are hiring Native speakers to teach English the way it is being done in Thailand- where you are largely left to your own devices and someone who is not up to par is going to do far more damage.

I agree somewhat.

Japan and Korea are not 3rd world countries and can afford B.Ed. salaries.

Thailand can not. Requiring the Education degree will see a drop of about 95% of NES teachers here.

You said "The focus is on cultural exchange and hearing a native speaker's pronunciation and working together to create activities focused on speaking and listening."

That's exactly what foreign teachers do in Thailand. It's no different.

I agree, someone subpar is going to do damage, and I've seen several B.Ed holders being let go because of subpar.

I don't think Thailand is ready to let go of Tefl people.

Edited by duanebigsby

They'll only require it if you want to stay on after you two waivers. Thailand is moving towards having licensed teachers from ASEAN come in, at a much cheaper rate than the non-degreed white folks coming in. Times are a-changing!