Thai editorial: In teaching English, say it first, grammar later

webfact

EDITORIAL
In teaching English, say it first, grammar later

The Nation

Thailand is wasting money on language education if the curriculum smothers the joy of learning

BANGKOK: -- With Thai students seemingly unable on the whole to improve their English-language skills, it is becoming increasingly urgent for the Education Ministry to sweeten the bitter pill and coax youngsters into swallowing it. The country's ability to become fully developed depends on it.

Innumerable government efforts in the past have failed because they lacked sustainability and comprehensive support. None failed for lack of cash - a great deal of taxpayers' money has been invested without bearing fruit. On the contrary, there are well-documented approaches that will ensure better and faster results without the need of a massive budget.

First, we must change the way English is taught. The daunting grammar lessons that dominate the English curriculum in Thai schools have been shown to be of less use than focusing on the rudiments of conversation. Students should be learning with their ears, gradually absorbing the subtleties of the language, just as they did in learning to speak their native language as infants. They should be encouraged to listen and then speak English without having to worry about grammatical errors.

Secondly, in revamping the curriculum with the help of linguists from Cambridge University, the ministry should insist on a thorough evaluation of the situation now and of what's been attempted in the past. We need to discover precisely why Thai students entering university still can't speak English after 12 years of classroom instruction.

Thirdly, learning English should be fun, making effective use of attractive, interesting materials. Grammar can come later, once the students feel more at ease with the language.

Fourthly, to enhance the materials physically in hand, teachers should make better use of free and widely available online resources. Lessons abound on the Web in the form of comic strips, music, movies and e-books, all catalogued to match specific ages, abilities and interests. It's even possible to set up a virtual classroom online.

Thirty million Thais are on Facebook, for example, and youngsters are especially adept in using the social media to communicate. Why not encourage them to utilise the networks to groom their English too?

Fifthly, the ministry can benefit from the burgeoning potential of digital TV. Some operators would surely be happy to produce or at least sponsor programmes for kids learning English. A dedicated English-instruction channel could easily reach every household in the country, with adults listening in and learning as well.

In assessing the logistics of countrywide broadcasting, the government also has to consider ways to "share the wealth" in general in terms of English capabilities. Students outside the cities are all too often left behind when it comes to efficient schooling. An online curriculum would require Internet access in all rural schools if it is to be widely effective, and lessons broadcast on TV would necessitate sufficient television sets.

Crucially, the teachers must first understand the lessons themselves so they're able to assist and explain rather than merely switching on the TV.

Finally, the ministry must make overseas scholarships more available for younger students, the better to learn a new language at the prime age. Other countries offer an array of student-exchange programmes, including Singapore, our Southeast Asian neighbour, where English is an official language.

The time has passed for government policies based on generous budgets alone. If we want to see our students' English proficiency improve, we need an all-around effort that's strong on creative ideas.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/In-teaching-English-say-it-first-grammar-later-30269332.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-23

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can't communicate effectively unless you know how to change the verb to match context - eat, eats, ate, has eaten, is eating, was eating, will eat, is going to eat, will have eaten, had eaten etc. Grammar is essential otherwise people speak like bar girls - you eat mango today, you eat mango tomorrow, you eat mango now and that's just about it.

During the headbanging days when i was teaching i found that a lot of uni students and those in the corporate world knew a lot of technical stuff but could barely put a sentence together because it was easy for Thai English teachers to write up on the whiteboard to be copied or explained in Thai.

However these teachers treated conversation etc like the plague and wouldn't get involved because of their own shortcomings.

Soooo... How did we all learn our native languages? In a classroom studying grammar?

No, we learned from our mothers and others and we could speak and listen long before we saw a classroom. The grammar doesn't begin to make sense until one knows the language just a bit.

The author is absolutely correct about methods, and that the present system doesn't work as proved by the clear fact that Thai children can't speak English after 12 years of it.

Soooo... How did we all learn our native languages? In a classroom studying grammar?

No, we learned from our mothers and others and we could speak and listen long before we saw a classroom. The grammar doesn't begin to make sense until one knows the language just a bit.

The author is absolutely correct about methods, and that the present system doesn't work as proved by the clear fact that Thai children can't speak English after 12 years of it.

EXACTLY.

When I was in high school...a very long time ago... my first day of French class started by the teacher closing the door and speaking ONLY French. We didn't have a "clue" but soon caught on.

Wouldn't it be beneficial to the Thai population/country if someone with authority understood this and implemented real change? I don't think that will happen and it will be more of the same. Like the decline of Thailand ..... more of the same.... down down down.

Thais don't seem to understand how learning how to speak English can improve their lives, both financially and socially. Pity b/c the world at large is moving forward without Thailand.

The system is grammar based because it is easier for teachers who can't speak or understand the language themselves to justify their existence by going through the motions of "teaching". The article is spot on. You can't "learn" grammar until you are fluent enough in the language to be able to understand how it all fits in. And as NeverSure said, most native speaking kids are highly proficient in the language (with quite good grammar) before they even touch a grammar book. As for the earlier comment that without good grammar Thais will speak like bar girls, this is total rubbish. There are more non-native speakers of English in the world than native speakers, and many adopt grammar conventions from their native tongue. This usually does not affect their ability to be understood. Based on my limited experience, the average bar girl is just as proficient at using English (though with a more limited vocabulary because of their limited education) as many other Asian and European second language learners.

You can't communicate effectively unless you know how to change the verb to match context - eat, eats, ate, has eaten, is eating, was eating, will eat, is going to eat, will have eaten, had eaten etc. Grammar is essential otherwise people speak like bar girls - you eat mango today, you eat mango tomorrow, you eat mango now and that's just about it.

Absolute nonsense. The whole point about English is that it can be absolutely murdered and still understood. Better a population speaking pidgin English and trying to improve than struggling to conjugate the imperfect versus the perfect tense on paper.and understanding none of it whatsoever. Every pidgin sentence you wrote there is perfectly understandable for a native speaker. For a taxi driver, "Where you want to go?" is more than enough.

The reason that English is so universal is the very fact that it is so simple to communicate effectively without having it presented with grammar that is absolutely perfect.

You are utterly underestimating how bad the general level of English is today in Thailand. I can forgive a grammatical error which is understood. What can't be forgiven is absolutely no progress at all. Get the kids speaking English in basic form first, 6 to 10, then add more advanced speech and start adding the grammar from 10 years on. Grammar on paper with no ability to speak is worth absolutely nothing at all.

To my mind Micheal Swan has it right ; let's be fair he is regarded as an English Grammar Guru.

SHOULD WE TEACH GRAMMAR AT ALL?

Currently, the theoretical pendulum is near the ‘backgrounding’ end of the swing. In recent decades grammar teaching has been called into question for several reasons. These include:

· A resurgence of the long-standing disillusionment with the results of heavily grammar-oriented approaches: ‘He can recite long lists of irregular verbs but can’t ask for a cup of coffee’.

http://www.mikeswan.co.uk/elt-applied-linguistics/teaching-grammar.htm

Edited by arfurcrown

But you could transport a bar girl to a foreign (English speaking) country and she would survive on her own.

95% of Uni grads would starve :)

The students don't learn to speak because most of their Thai teachers cannot speak. The curriculum is a nice easy way out as they an just get by teaching grammar and test this on entrance exam. I doubt many regular students could write a complete paragraph with very few errors, let alone give an oral presentation. The importance of english in the curriculum and entrance tests are shown to be less important than other subjects. It needs the same status as maths and science and needs the same weighting as those subjects. If I only had english once a week I probably wouldn't learn much also, so I don't blame the students. And if they are going to just be passed at the end of the day anyway, why bother?

The only short-term (5 -10 year) fix is to employ more foreign teachers and also increase the number of periods of english per week. Retirees should be allowed to work, perhaps in a limited capacity, say 5-10 hours a week, and paid per hour. Some of those schools cannot afford to pay a full time salary, or a very low salary, so find it hard getting full time foreign teachers.

The problem is that the vast majority of Thai teachers can NOT say it. They can not speak English. Their idea of teaching English is writing a few words on the board and then giving an hour long lecture in Thai on some useless grammatical minutia, and pray to Buddha that no farang walks by and tries to talk them. Most Thai teachers are unable to speak English beyond some basic sentences and are terrified that everyone will find out.

All Thai English teachers were forced to take an international proficiency test, CEFR, a test made in Europe not a Tinglish Thai test, I wonder why the results of that have not been published yet...

I agree with the OP. Having an understanding of what the words mean & putting them together in a sentence should come well before worrying about grammar. I hated grammar at school, never fully understood it & still don't to this day.

Hope this helps.

post-195509-0-28779600-1442969139_thumb.

" The ability of the country to became fully developed depends on it"

This is pure nonsense, learning English of course is important cuz it gives u access to a lot of information and it helps you to communicate with people from other nations, but for the development of this country Math, Chemistry, Biology and Physics are far more important than learning English, Thailand needs to change the whole education system so it might be able to produce engineers and scientists, just look at Japan, one of the most developed nations in the world and must of the people don't speak any English, the same wid Korea, Taiwan, France, and the list goes on.

Think one poster hit the nail on the head why not give retiree,s free extensions and work permit in return for them helping students learn English. One cost would be nothing really just ink in passport The retiree's would be giving something of benefit to Thai's instead of sitting are drunk all day. the retiree's would benefit from the teaching of English and most likely learn more Thai in the process and all schools would have English program at little to no cost.

A cost free way to help improve spoken English would be to completely stop all dubbing of English language films and TV programmes into Thai. Use the original soundtrack and provide subtitles. That way you can improve reading skills in Thai at the same time - something which also needs improving in my experience.

Replacing the soaps in the 8.30 slot on Channels 3 and 7 with English language programming might, unfortunately be a step too far - although the RTP might enjoy a series or two of Blue Bloods

Learning a language is a bit like learning to driving a car.

You need to know how to steer and use the brake but don't really need to know much about what goes on under the bonnet.

Certainly it is better if you have a grasp of the mechanics but it is not necessary to get on the road. The mechanics can come later.

A cost free way to help improve spoken English would be to completely stop all dubbing of English language films and TV programmes into Thai. Use the original soundtrack and provide subtitles. That way you can improve reading skills in Thai at the same time - something which also needs improving in my experience.

Replacing the soaps in the 8.30 slot on Channels 3 and 7 with English language programming might, unfortunately be a step too far - although the RTP might enjoy a series or two of Blue Bloods

We enjoyed watching "Chris Delivery" on Thai tv. The show is informative/educational and humorous.

Didn't the govt. say they were going to hire Filipinos to teach English? Good luck to them....

Most of the kids around here don't give a d2mn about English! They probably don't understand why they should be learning it, when in fact it's the rest of the world that should be learning Thai.

But there was one kid here last year that could speech very good conversational English....which I though would auger well for him in the future.

Absolutely correct, accumulate a war chest of words, then learn to put them together correctly. You can communicate perfectly fine with bad grammar, the question is when do you start correcting the grammar. Let it go on too long and I believe it is then more difficult to correct. Spend the first two or three years accumulating words and probably verb conjugation then later start the grammar. That's how I remember learning Spanish in the US.

However, I would also suggest they learn to put adjectives before nouns very soon in their learning, just as I learned putting adjectives after nouns in Spanish and also in Thai.

Thais are not native speakers of English, so the way you learned your native language doesn't apply to them.

ESL teaching is a different ball game.

Grammar, speaking and listening should be used together. If not students will either speak pigeon English or not capable to apply their language skills.

You are way behind. An article was already published that admitted most of the teachers cannot speak English and so of course they cannot teach it. Very simple. There are many solutions.

And the reason these teachers can't speak English, and therefore can't teach it, is because they are Thai! They sa-peak Thai! Toning down their silly nationalism and false pride would be a start to opening up to the fact there's a world outside of Thailand and they must now engage with it.

I agree with the editorial.

Back in my school days (long time ago) we learned English by playing role plays - e.g. how to buy things at the grocery, making sketches, we saw English movies without subtitles, listened to and read pop songs, listened to the BBC news etc. Then after a couple of years we started learning more of the grammar - at that time we were all confident in speaking English and you could start fine-tuning the grammar.

Of course the English teacher is most important person, and if the teacher doesn't understand nor speaks the language you can bring all your good intentions and achieve nothing.

I don't understand why Channel 3, 5 or 7 are not broadcasting e.g. Sesame Street or other high quality children's programmes in English - that would support the overall English (and math) learning of kids and adults.