Curcumin (Turmeric) in Pill Form ?

freedomnow

A few days ago caught a article on tumeric from the little I read it said do not use cooking tumeric for Rx  purpose as they are different. Sorry cannot give you any more info I just skimmed the article. It said that the Rx tumeric under went a bit of processing to increase the quality

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, ukrules said:

This article is worth a read : https://www.superfoodly.com/best-turmeric-curcumin-supplement/

It explains in some detail all the known mechanisms used to increase bioavailability of curcumin, in fact it reviews and compares them to each other. Very informative.

So if you eat lots of pepper and home grown tumeric you're will absorb a lot. No need for pills.

5 hours ago, Justfine said:

70% of any pill you take probably gets pissed out but still 30% is better than nothing.

If it goes through the kidneys which it will have to end up in urine then it has been absorbed through the stomach and into the blood - job done....

Edited by ukrules

You can buy some more effective capsules here, than the almost useless pure powder capsules. I got some recently at a Citrus called Ya Capsule Kaminchan Plus. Includes pepper and oil. But I think Swanson’s Theracurmin will be much more absorbent as they do some science do make the particles easier to get in the bloodstream. 

You can find fresh turmeric in all the local markets.  Check the Internet for fresh dosages, and take with ground pepper and a fat (like olive oil) to increase bioavailability.  Dried ground turmeric doesn't absorb into you system very well.  But if you insist on pills just remember that you're going to pay premium prices for a produce that is dirt cheap in bulk form. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, connda said:

You can find fresh turmeric in all the local markets.  Check the Internet for fresh dosages, and take with ground pepper and a fat (like olive oil) to increase bioavailability.  Dried ground turmeric doesn't absorb into you system very well.  But if you insist on pills just remember that you're going to pay premium prices for a produce that is dirt cheap in bulk form. 

Yes. Don't understand why people would buy the pills. You can grow your own turmeric as well.

3 hours ago, Justfine said:

Yes. Don't understand why people would buy the pills. You can grow your own turmeric as well.

some people dont like the taste, NOT always available fresh, greater bang for buck, can be mixed with other ingredients (black pepper) to increase nutritional uptake, convenience need i go on?

3 hours ago, eezergood said:

some people dont like the taste, NOT always available fresh, greater bang for buck, can be mixed with other ingredients (black pepper) to increase nutritional uptake, convenience need i go on?

Pills dont absorb as well. Tumeric tastes good and so does pepper.

People must be lazy.

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Pills dont absorb as well. Tumeric tastes good and so does pepper.

People must be lazy.

tasting good is a matter of perception & choice........ pills can & do absorb well, due to the removal of (mainly) water ....

lazy, yes they are!

I know it's an old thread but the comments are still relevant hence this update.

So are we saying that consuming fresh turmeric a few times a week in a meal has no health benefits at all? From what I've read on this thread it seems that you have to take quite a lot, two or three times a day, every day, to get any actual benefit. Perhaps I've missed something?

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

On 2/12/2018 at 5:41 AM, Justfine said:

Yeah, I grow it in the back yard.  It actually attractive foliage and adds to the greenery. 

I used to buy it from the local market, Connda.

The problem I have is that even with great care the stuff gets everywhere and stains everything.  It is cheap in its raw form though. 

But there are still so many conflicting reports on how much to consume for health benefits. In capsule form, it's suggested two at a time three times a day (6 bloody pills of a single supplement!) Heck, there's plenty of time for pill-popping when one gets sick. I've since decided I don't really want a line up of supplements to take each day. I mean, where does it all stop. Six of these, eight of those, three of something else? The image of an 'Herbal Junkie' springs to mind, with a complex pill dispenser to ensure no fix gets missed.

WE LIVE AND LEARN...

I bought a box of 60 turmeric capsules the other day for 105 Baht and then I read this thread. I won't  be making that mistake again. Maybe it's best to forget this herbal nonsense and just eat well-balanced nutrient-dense meals. I rarely eat foods that come out of boxes and packets these days anyway,  so perhaps it's enough.

Stubby

• Like 1

I received some NatureWise curcumin today (ordered Feb. 1) from iHerb (no duties charged); has piperine that supposedly increases bio-availability.

I washed it down with some kaew khriap gung chips dipped in tookay jelly.

If I wake up tomorrow and am still myself, I'll know it had no effect.

~o:37;

• Thanks 1

On September 23, 2015 at 1:11 PM, northernjohn said:

I use the Curcumin/tumeric powder form on my cereal. Buy it bulk at Macro. As said you can purchase capsules and make them up your self.

For Niacin I get it from iHerb in the states. inexpensive and if you keep your orders around$40 no duty on them. Right to your door delivery. Never looked there for the Curcumin/turmeric.

Hi John you using CM Macro?

Could you send a pic of the packet and maybe which section so I can look for?

Thx

I use curcumin powder in my food every day .  50 baht I think I paid, will last me for months.  Not sure about the health effects but it doesn't hurt , and it gives the food I cook a good taste.  Pepper, garlic and curcumin is a nice mix of spices. 

On 2/19/2018 at 4:08 AM, wellred said:

Why don't you just buy the powder? You don't need tablespoons of it either. 1/4 of a teaspoon is enough. I have mine in a cup of tea with some ginger (ideally fresh but power is fine also).

There seem to be so many conflicting reports on how much to take. Then there's the "it's useless without black pepper" argument. There are also conflicting reports on amounts via supplements vs amounts in cooking. And then there's the "once per day vs three times a day" suggestions. Phew!  I've come to the conclusion that everyone's clueless and say pretty much anything. And new users will believe whatever online article suits their agenda. It's probably all nonsense and a waste of time and money. Think I'll give this one a skip and just continue to eat nutrient-dense meals and be done with it ;)

Edited by Stubby

Vitacost ROOT2 Turmeric Extract Curcumin C3 Complex® with Bioperine® -- 1160 mg per serving - 120 Capsules

• Shop all Vitacost
  • SKU #: 835003004423
  • Shipping Weight: 0.34 lb
  • Servings: 60
GalleryIcon_VCRating_v2.jpg
  • Video player icon
  • GalleryIcon_VideoRoot2.png
Vitacost ROOT2 Turmeric Extract Curcumin C3 Complex® with Bioperine®

You may receive this product in its current or new packaging; both contain the same high-quality product you love.

• Our price: $25.50

1 minute ago, joealx said:

Vitacost ROOT2 Turmeric Extract Curcumin C3 Complex® with Bioperine® -- 1160 mg per serving - 120 Capsules

• Shop all Vitacost
  • SKU #: 835003004423
  • Shipping Weight: 0.34 lb
  • Servings: 60
GalleryIcon_VCRating_v2.jpg
  • Video player icon
  • GalleryIcon_VideoRoot2.png
Vitacost ROOT2 Turmeric Extract Curcumin C3 Complex® with Bioperine®

You may receive this product in its current or new packaging; both contain the same high-quality product you love.

• Our price: $25.50

At Vitacost.com (USA). shipping $9.95

• Like 1

This is an old thread that was dormant for a long time. Maybe it would be intersting to hear again from the half dozen or so people who were active in this thread back in 2015 and ask how many have experienced longterm health improvements from turmeric. Tragically, at least one of those original partipants who was advocating tumeric has since died of cancer, so we won't be able to count his vote.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2018 at 5:03 PM, ukrules said:

If it goes through the kidneys which it will have to end up in urine then it has been absorbed through the stomach and into the blood - job done....

Usually it is in oil, so it will go through the liver and is absorbed a little better - not greatly, but a liposome encapsulation makes a decent difference, even for water soluble substances if you get the chemistry right.  All can be made in the kitchen though inexpensively.

The other mention about yellow pee is much why fecal matter is darker - Bile from the gallbladder in response to things like oil.

When I had severe liver cirrhosis I had to self educate on how it all fits together.  Curcumin was my starting point while I was trying to maintain a holding pattern to give me time to work it out.  Doctors told me I was doomed in under a year.  I have 100% liver now (without surgery or meds) and the docs were a 'little bit' wrong.  I took some Chinese wisdom and it snapped back into full working order, so I no longer look like Homer Simpson (apart for the two hairs on the head).  It's impossible to reverse cirrhosis ...they said.  You need a liver transplant ...they said. Pha!  Sadly I haven't solved the follicle challenge yet.

• Like 2