Skype alternative for calls to Europe

AngThong

I need to call Europe (UK, Scandinavia) every now & then and have been using Skype. Call quality has been an issue though and it's just not up to scratch, so I wonder if there are any decent alternatives.

I could call from my mobile phone, but I need to have my caller ID hidden, which AFAIK isn't possible when calling abroad from Thailand using a Thai mobile phone.

A solid, reliable voice IP solution with a UK phone number would be best, but I'll take pretty much anything.

I've been looking at Jive.

It's about the same price as skype.

If you don't need a number, use Zoom.us The call quality is great.

Any idea what call quality is like with Jive? The people I talk to say my voice sounds robotic with Skype, they can hear me but not particularly well. I can usually hear them OK.

The problem may be your microphone. I use a high-quality microphone built-in to the computer's Microsoft camera and external speakers. My calls are crystal clear UNLESS the person on the other end is using a cell phone. Suggest that you try upgrading your microphone and speakers. If you're using a laptop or notebook, the built-in microphone probably isn't very sensitive.

The problem may be your microphone. I use a high-quality microphone built-in to the computer's Microsoft camera and external speakers. My calls are crystal clear UNLESS the person on the other end is using a cell phone. Suggest that you try upgrading your microphone and speakers. If you're using a laptop or notebook, the built-in microphone probably isn't very sensitive.

Hmm. I use a decent quality Bluetooth headset (Jabra Move) which seems to deliver quite good quality when I use it with my phone.

Maybe it's your phone that is the weak link. Have you tried placing calls using your computer?

I generally call through my PC, yes. I have tried using Skype on the phone once or twice, but it didn't seem to improve things at all. I kind of suspect it's a bandwidth issue (I have TOT 10/1 ADSL and AIS 3G as a backup) but I don't know.

If I call directly from my phone (no Skype), call quality is good - but they will see my number (caller ID), which I don't want. Thai operators unfortunately do not allow you to hide your caller ID when calling overseas.

If money isnt an issue buy a voip service with an UK nr, then when you call people will get that UK nr as ID. Usually its better quality as skype. I have a dedicated Voip phone with a Dutch nr with a voip service provider. This way people can call me to at local cost.

VIBER . . . I've been using VIBER for years ! - It's FREE and as long as the person you're calling also has this app installed: it's FAR better than anything on the planet !

thumbsup.gif

works good for personal use and with people who you know but not everyone has viber installed, plus if the guy wants to hide his ID im suspecting that the people he calls are not his friends and he cant tell them to install viber.

I use Vonage. Call quality is as good or better than Skype, and I find the time it takes to make a connection to a landline phone is faster than Skype. Both iOS and Android apps are available. As for the app, it just sits there in the background. You do not have to log in as you do with Skype.

Best part is the rates. Vonage is about half as expensive as Skype. I just looked up Sweden as an example with rates to a landline phone:

Vonage: US$0.01/minute

Edited by bubba

I have generally no problem with Google Hangout. Yes, I know it's for video contact but the way technology is, it can probably be done to an iphone now providing the receiving party has Gmail. I have seen the quality of skype and I have to say it's good but it tends to crash a few times per hour. Not just me but others have noticed this also. I also use TOT 10/1 and no hangups with hangout.

I've been looking for VIBER for years, but just found out that I should have been looking for FIBER!

Just teasin ya, but no doubt fiber is the best because os speed.

BTW, also consider time of day of your calls. Traffic is heavy between 5 and 10 because of high use in Thailand at that time.

VIBER . . . I've been using VIBER for years ! - It's FREE and as long as the person you're calling also has this app installed: it's FAR better than anything on the planet !

thumbsup.gif

If money isnt an issue buy a voip service with an UK nr, then when you call people will get that UK nr as ID. Usually its better quality as skype. I have a dedicated Voip phone with a Dutch nr with a voip service provider. This way people can call me to at local cost.

I do this via Sipgate UK but I do it precisely because money is an issue. I pay nothing for my UK DID and my outgoing calls to phone lines cost less than they would on Skype. Quality is OK and I have also installed a VOIP programme on my phone so that the UK number is accessible to me through that also (assuming I have some sort of active data connection).

Skype always seems to be quite expensive to me, except for the free device-to-device connections.

I am using Skype when calling to Scandinavia. Perfect quality. Much better than my land line here in CM.

Using 3BB with a slow 3 Mb line.

Don't know though if you can hide Caller Id. Didn't even know it showed up for the receiver.

This is when calling a landline or a mobile without Line

I've been using LINE between Spain/UK and Thailand. Brilliant quality. But of course both parties need to have the app. Does video too. As for Skype, if you use a computer then it shows a Thai number (not yours) which I suspect is one of several they have in the country that calls are routed through. You cannot be called back on the number the other party sees when you contact them. I believe you can pay for a (UK for example) number with which people can call you via Skype. But I'm very happy with LINE.

thumbsup.gif

works good for personal use and with people who you know but not everyone has viber installed, plus if the guy wants to hide his ID im suspecting that the people he calls are not his friends and he cant tell them to install viber.

I use Viber all the time with people I don't know and they don't need Viber installed. It's done with Viber Out option to land and mobile lines and costs a fraction of Skype rates on clear lines.

I don't have first hand experience with Jive, but from what I have read it seems like a good piece of software. It has nice functions from a business perspective. It has a free softphone you can download and you can get a number from anywhere.

I've called Panama on my paid for skype number without call quality issues, but the free skype to China calls suck.

If you don't need the number, use Zoom. The call quality is crystal clear and you record video and audio, if you want.

I use a Microsoft life chat 3000 headset, FWIW.

Actually, Apple FaceTime consistently has the best voice quality, in my pretty broad experience. Both caller and callee must have iDevices or Macs to use it, though.

I have been using VOIPCHEAP for some years now. The quality is as good as Skype and to most countries in Europe and the US its free if you make payment of at least EURO10 every 3 month. One can use this amount to make calls to countries where it is not free.

Just an obvious point:

Any VOIP call is highly dependent on the quality of your line - remember you sending data (not audio) over a line without any prioritisation (known as QoS), so if your internet connection is poor quality or is also being used for other purposes at the same time, then then quality will suffer.

I have VOIP with a UK number and it works a treat. I get 120 days free when I pay 10 Euros and then It costs something ridiculously low per minute after the free days expire. I let the euros run down to about 2/3 and then top up again for another 120 days free. Only draw back is you need to be calling landlines. If you call mobiles, you are charged, but don't know how much as I don't do this, but their website will be able to tell you. Good luck.