Police spokesman confirms Bangkok bombings are not act of terrorism

webfact

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There could be an alien invasion and the Thai authorities would spin it out to be " alien tourists".

The establishment want to be taken seriously by the outside world, and anywhere else in the outside world the erawan attack would be considered terrorism!!

The establishment will only use terrorists and terrorism when it suits their political agenda and it's directed towards a certain political party.

What a disappointment this is going to be for some members when acts of vengeance by the very same political party supporters can no longer be classed as acts of terrorism perpetrated by that 7% of terrorists. Right?

Not a chance, when the cap fits!!!

Clowns are looking for a circus with the RTP !!

The professional association of clowns have apparently been talking about suing the RTP for giving them a bad name!!

If I recall, the government said the 2010 red shirt riots were an act of terrorism and this negated payouts by the insurance companies; after all, who would include terrorism in their insurance coverage?

This very dodgy statement means that if it wasn't defined (by the RTP anyway) as an act of terrorism then all is sweetness and light, affected persons and businesses can claim damage on insurance and really, really importantly it won't affect all the bookings by the high quality tourists they're soliciting...

BobA - relaxed in Lampang

There could be an alien invasion and the Thai authorities would spin it out to be " alien tourists".

The establishment want to be taken seriously by the outside world, and anywhere else in the outside world the erawan attack would be considered terrorism!!

The establishment will only use terrorists and terrorism when it suits their political agenda and it's directed towards a certain political party.

What a disappointment this is going to be for some members when acts of vengeance by the very same political party supporters can no longer be classed as acts of terrorism perpetrated by that 7% of terrorists. Right?

Not a chance, when the cap fits!!!

Clowns are looking for a circus with the RTP !!

The professional association of clowns have apparently been talking about suing the RTP for giving them a bad name!!

thumbsup.gif

Clown University should file defamation charges against the RTP. cheesy.gif

I guess careful what one writes here, political sit beeing as it is at the moment. Five or

more people planning to kill as many innocent man, women and children as possible at a set day. Money were provided by someone, transport, passport and flats to stay in rented 1 year in advance. All the stuff to make the bomb provided by someone. Planning and taking photos of the blast that killed and maimed so many innocent bystanders whos only fault was to be there to pray or just beeing at the wrong place at the wrong time. Normally we call this kind of savage behaviour for terrorism, nothing else.

Surely a matter how the term "terrorism" is defined.

"Terrorism is any act designed to cause terror.[1]Terrorism is generally understood to feature a political objective."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism

Obviously, the police spokesman considered terrorism to be always politically motivated to achieve a certain political goal while terrorizing can also refer even to bullying, black mailing, even trolling in a forum etc. etc.

Those Bangkok bombers apparently did not have a policitical objective in respect of Thailand which otherwise would mean continued acts of causing terror until the political goal is achieved - as for example in the far south of the Kingdom - but rather they were just motivated by vengeance and this seemed to be what the RTP tried to express.

Therefore, no need to interpret too much into this especially not in respect of using it to start another flame and blame attack against RTP driven by general personal disliking of the Thai authorities. wai2.gif

Your analysis would be correct if the two bombings were directed against people or symbols of Thai authority, ie., military, police or government. But they were not singled out. Both locations were tourist locations popular with both Thais and Chinese.

Thus, the bombings were a political statement to the Thai and Chinese governments - there will be retribution for human right abuses against the Uighur people. Notice that China remains completely silent about the bombers' motivations and for good reason. Chinese citizens are soft targets especially outside of China.

What's fascinating about this language posturing is how it clearly underlines a notion that is now in every head around the planet :

'Terrorism', for almost everyone nowadays, means : Muslims gone berserk and killing innocent people (including other Muslims, sometimes) in the name of Allah, and according to their mad interpretation of the word 'Jihad'.

The Thai authorities are saying 'they are Muslims but they did not kill in the name of Allah so it's not terrorism'.

The Western reaction on this forum (and predominantly in the West, I presume) is : 'they're Muslims and they killed innocent people, so it is terrorism'.

The question, absurdly, becomes : is it, or is it not terrorism ? a point of idle sophism, while the only urgent and relevant questions remain :

1/ what the hell is going on in this world ?

2/ how have we humans, collectively, come to this ?

3/ is there a way we could, collectively, get out of this ? could we, humans, realize that we're walking behind a demented handful of Pied Pipers who are leading us straight into armageddon, and then decide that we don't really have to keep on walking behind them after all ?

And it's not like it didn't happen before, because it did. Many times.

Disagree, people do not see Muslims as the only terrorists. Also, I dont want to get into a religious debate but Muslims are by and large peaceful people,, the people who commit the terrible acts of violence are extremists.

For your points on "what are we all doing" I agree with you that we keep making the same stupid mistakes time and time again. But I do have faith in human nature, people do not generally want to hate each other. The world is relatively new to easy and relatively cheap travel and mixing up so many different cultures and beliefs is bound to cause problems. But over time things will change..

As for crazy politicians, well the ones that cause damage all seem to get in power when times are tough because they pray on peoples fear and promise a radical solution (Germany and Adolf Hitler springs to mind). hopefully we will not see a repeat of that madness and the recent global crisis does not seem to have allowed this to happen,, thankfully.

It wasn't terrorism.

Just some (allegedly) p1ssed off Uighurs that decided to maim and kill innocent folks.

Definitely NOT terrorism though.

I wonder if they did a survey.

Were you terrified when the bomb went off?

Nah. Not me. I wasn't terrified = it wasn't terrorism.

Unless the USA and the UK were involved then it wasn't terrorism, pure and simple...

It wasn't terrorism.

Just some (allegedly) p1ssed off Uighurs that decided to maim and kill innocent folks.

I agree with your cynicism, and outrage if I read you correctly. Of course it's terrorism. But I think they have a legitimate interest in not unnecessarily arousing even greater fears of such organized groups as ISIS, my view is that they are all heinous and horrible acts, but there is a difference in terms of degree, long term threat, and the likelihood of recurrence. I can see a legitimate interest in the Thai government wanting to use cautious language and not drawing a comparison between an isolated act and a pattern with a long term agenda. Also, be careful about using certain words, even disguised, they will boot you off the site in a heartbeat, they're very touchy here. There are a lot of trolls who will report you. Peace

What's fascinating about this language posturing is how it clearly underlines a notion that is now in every head around the planet :

'Terrorism', for almost everyone nowadays, means : Muslims gone berserk and killing innocent people (including other Muslims, sometimes) in the name of Allah, and according to their mad interpretation of the word 'Jihad'.

The Thai authorities are saying 'they are Muslims but they did not kill in the name of Allah so it's not terrorism'.

The Western reaction on this forum (and predominantly in the West, I presume) is : 'they're Muslims and they killed innocent people, so it is terrorism'.

The question, absurdly, becomes : is it, or is it not terrorism ? a point of idle sophism, while the only urgent and relevant questions remain :

3/ is there a way we could, collectively, get out of this ? could we, humans, realize that we're walking behind a demented handful of Pied Pipers who are leading us straight into armageddon, and then decide that we don't really have to keep on walking behind them after all ?

Disagree, people do not see Muslims as the only terrorists. Also, I dont want to get into a religious debate but Muslims are by and large peaceful people,, the people who commit the terrible acts of violence are extremists.

For your points on "what are we all doing" I agree with you that we keep making the same stupid mistakes time and time again. But I do have faith in human nature, people do not generally want to hate each other. The world is relatively new to easy and relatively cheap travel and mixing up so many different cultures and beliefs is bound to cause problems. But over time things will change..

As for crazy politicians, well the ones that cause damage all seem to get in power when times are tough because they pray on peoples fear and promise a radical solution (Germany and Adolf Hitler springs to mind). hopefully we will not see a repeat of that madness and the recent global crisis does not seem to have allowed this to happen,, thankfully.

Mind you it does seem strange that nearly all the extremists around the world are muslim ,and the bombers in Bangkok were also muslim , still we can just go on pretending that it is a religion of peace cant we, untill the next time .

Mind you it does seem strange that nearly all the extremists around the world are muslim ,and the bombers in Bangkok were also muslim , still we can just go on pretending that it is a religion of peace cant we, untill the next time .

And here we go ... Both of your reactions are totally 'in the box' : the first one is angelic ("I have faith in human nature") and the other is the typical warmongering stance. Excuse me, but neither of you have understood my actual point.

It wasn't terrorism.

I agree with your cynicism, and outrage if I read you correctly. Of course it's terrorism. But I think they have a legitimate interest in not unnecessarily arousing even greater fears of such organized groups as ISIS, my view is that they are all heinous and horrible acts, but there is a difference in terms of degree, long term threat, and the likelihood of recurrence. I can see a legitimate interest in the Thai government wanting to use cautious language and not drawing a comparison between an isolated act and a pattern with a long term agenda. Also, be careful about using certain words, even disguised, they will boot you off the site in a heartbeat, they're very touchy here. There are a lot of trolls who will report you. Peace

The PC crowd do not want to call a spade a spade is all it is.

If the innocent people around that bomb were not terrified, one might be able to get away with calling it something else, however I doubt that is the case.

Did people run in fear and terror? Yes.

People were terrified, so it was an act of terrorism plain as the nose on my face.

Too worried with what being associated to terrorism means to Thailand's tourism industry to not understand innocent people died in the attack.

Is anybody surprised that the perpetrators of live fire zones against their own citizens and international journalists would be unable to recognize retaliatory terrorist bomb attacks?