How you spend your day in Chiangmai?

sawadee1947

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any suggestions of where to fish in CM? Appreciated.

Easy places are,

Huay Tung Tao lake, just past 700 year stadium.

MaeJo Resevoir, look on google maps (Huai Cho) behind MaeJo university.

Lots of Thais fishing out there every day.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Any suggestions of where to fish in CM? Appreciated.

Easy places are,

Huay Tung Tao lake, just past 700 year stadium.

MaeJo Resevoir, look on google maps behind MaeJo university.

Lots of Thais fishing out there every day.

Fishing is a bit of a sensitive issue at the moment.

Probably it is better for foreigners to avoid fishing in Thai territorial waters until things cool down.

The authorities shoot on sight.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

How about trying for some volunteer work? I feel there could be a wealth of talent, skills and knowledge among retired farangs. A friendly NGO that welcomes volunteers (and many do) could be a good starting point. Simply check around till you find one that could value what you have to offer from your life experience.

I brought my First Aid knowledge and skills from St John Ambulance Australia and find there is quite a good demand. Finding an interpreter if needed is usually not too hard.

All the best.

what an interesting topic to me!

i have no friends here in thailand.

i spend my day riding my bicycle 20 to 30 km, stopping take pics of wats and things, editing those pics, then putting them on flickr.

while doing the editing, i listen to old radio programs on internet radio.

i also have 5 books in the go on kindle, now a history of samurai by a real samurai, joseph conrad novel, a thomnas hardy novel, a hong kong detective novel by john burdett, and i'm rereading a book on cosmology by brian greene.

i listen to classical music, also.

but I'm still bored, so glad to see this topic.

Only you know what you like to do.

What a bullshit answer, did you use up all of your 2 and a half brain cells to come up with

that one ? I agree living in the same place can get boring, i myself came close to being

''stir crazy'' never knew what it meant until it nearly happened to me, the best answer so

far seems the idea of moving around, maybe learning the language better (but what for)

living in different places really appeals to me, just as long as the barking dogs don't follow.

How about trying for some volunteer work? I feel there could be a wealth of talent, skills and knowledge among retired farangs. A friendly NGO that welcomes volunteers (and many do) could be a good starting point. Simply check around till you find one that could value what you have to offer from your life experience.

I brought my First Aid knowledge and skills from St John Ambulance Australia and find there is quite a good demand. Finding an interpreter if needed is usually not too hard.

All the best.

Let's hope all the "need a work permit" guys don't get hold of that suggestion.

Only you know what you like to do.

What a bullshit answer, did you use up all of your 2 and a half brain cells to come up with

that one ? I agree living in the same place can get boring, i myself came close to being

''stir crazy'' never knew what it meant until it nearly happened to me, the best answer so

far seems the idea of moving around, maybe learning the language better (but what for)

living in different places really appeals to me, just as long as the barking dogs don't follow.

The moving around is key to variety. It is the main reason I have not anchored myself down with property, ever, except for one expensive episode involving a wife and UK property. I did not mind losing the wife, losing the property was a bit of a hit though.

You will always find more barking dogs, unless you go to Vietnam, where they form a part of the national cuisine, and in the islamic areas of southern Thailand, where dogs are not liked.

Several people mentioned hobbies. Good idea but try to choose things that have non immediate goals. Running a 5 or 10 K, gardening for vegetables, increasing your Thai speaking ability.

Hobbies with measurable goals gives you something to look forward to and are self motivating. I use an app called C25K and it is a great tool for increasing my running endurance gradually that tracks and increases my daily progress in small increments. It's a great feeling to look back at where you were and how far you have come. Beats building ships in bottles.

post-200208-0-79827600-1443192989_thumb.

Edited by csabo

Don't understand this boredom thing, I don't get bored even when I'm doing nothing.

Same as me.People in the home country ask what i do all day.I honestly can't tell them as i just noodle about doing odd jobs and gym 3 days a week.I am certainly not bored.Gunna have another crack at reading and writing Thai.

Someone said on a trusted radio show, that moving around sure helps..when I sit still I sure feel it after a while.

I'm at the same latitude as C.Mai in Hawaii and I live at 4,000 ft. elev..

So when I come down to Sea Level (it's now in the 90's) I get along by wetting my T-shirt..whatever works..

Alohz

My life seems to be in the same place as yours. First week of next month I am moving back to Pattaya after 7 years away. Even though I am an old,fat fart, I still enjoy pleasures of the flesh and Pattaya has soo much more to offer than Chiang Mai.

As far what to do everyday, build something, a boat is my plan. If you can use a screwdriver and a hammer, you can build one also. I have recently bought most of the tools needed for the job. It is time to rejoin the living.

Good Luck

dsn-whld1.jpg

dsn-whld2.jpg

My life seems to be in the same place as yours. First week of next month I am moving back to Pattaya after 7 years away. Even though I am an old,fat fart, I still enjoy pleasures of the flesh and Pattaya has soo much more to offer than Chiang Mai.

As far what to do everyday, build something, a boat is my plan. If you can use a screwdriver and a hammer, you can build one also. I have recently bought most of the tools needed for the job. It is time to rejoin the living.

Good Luck

dsn-whld1.jpg

dsn-whld2.jpg

Did you buy the screwdriver or the hammer?

Bored, I thought only teenagers got bored,I have never been

bored with anything throughout my life,people who get bored easily

must also have a lack of imagination.ditto been depressed,never have

time to be either.

regards Worgeordie

Good Luck

dsn-whld1.jpg

dsn-whld2.jpg

The world is going down will you consider building a ark thumbsup.gif

post-49151-0-88734500-1443245197_thumb.j

One of my facebook people built the Arch that Francis is speaking under in PA.

Jennifer Alba is looking at that great canoe..cause I shared it on Facebook.. Now ur calling it an ARK..don't confuse them.

Pope Francis may see his rowboat.

'I just saw the ARK photo..it loaded late.

Nice..

Aloha

Why do people consider having nothing to do as being bored?

Some things keep you busy and you can still be bored.

Boredom is a choice. If you are bored kick a cop in the ass.

If you are still board walk around him and kick him in the front.

Or go for a walk in the old city or any place with lot's of business.

Pay attention to them all and see what they have to offer.

I know for myself I walk but I do not take the time to really look into

what each business has to offer. Think I will take my own advice.

Also try to learn the names of all the streets I walk on.

Bored, I thought only teenagers got bored,I have never been

bored with anything throughout my life,people who get bored easily

must also have a lack of imagination.ditto been depressed,never have

time to be either.

regards Worgeordie

I've always thought it was the other way around. People who never get bored have a lack of imagination! Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I think "flow" is the thing - it needs to be something that totally absorbs you so that you literally can't think about anything else, and so you get a break from yourself. Badminton is a good option. Squash, tennis and five a side can be if you can get people who are equally knackered to play against, but something that demands your full attention all the time makes you feel brilliant afterwards. If you're older, and it's a new thing, it needs to be something with a low skill threshold for participation, which is why soccer is a good choice. The problem with fishing, golf, pool and most other things is that there's time when you're out of the activity. Five a side doesn't allow that.

I live I Phuket. I am 73. I get up at 0:600 - 06:15. Spend a couple hours on the computer taking care of correspondence, reading the news feeds. Around 08;30 or 09:00 I exercise in my home gym for an hour or so. Weight training and elliptical trainer. The rest of the day is sometimes spent on my hobbies, which are wood working ,restoring my old car. I maintain the house, the garden, read a lot, ride the bicycle several times a week on 20 -30 km rides. Take the wife shopping when necessary, have a few good friends that I socialize with. I have an avocation that is stimulating and beneficial that takes up several hours a week. Even so I still get a bit bored at times especially this hot and humid time of the year which precludes some out door activities. I don't go to the bars as I don't drink and most people there are just whingeing and bitching about how terrible Thailand and the Thais are anyway. My advice is to get a hobby or two to keep you occupied and your mind sharp. Fishing, a bit of travelling to see new horizons. The wife and I have explored most of southern Thailand by car. Research shows that as we get older we can be susceptible to depression. Physical and mental activity guards against that. In the past I have had a change of lifestyle and scenery about every seven to ten years. Twelve years in Phuket means I am overdue for a change. It will be a move to the wife's farm near Khon Khean in a year or so. Probably to live out my last years. Stay active and fit.

I live in Hatyai, I am 70. During the week, I get up at 1-3pm. Spend a couple of hours on the internet drinking black coffee and tomato juice. Around 4, I have breakfast, usually papaya with lime with toast, sometimes with sausage, potatoes, eggs and croissant. I ride the exercise bike for two hours and around seven, I go downtown. I hit the bars, have a few cocktails, sweet talk some ladies and have dinner around 9. I meet a few buddies and go to a club with music, have a few drinks until 2-3. Around 3, I meet friends and have noodle soup, hit an after-hours club, have a few more cocktails and get home around 6. On Fridays, I usually play through from the night before and meet my brothers for an early morning brunch and a 400km two day poker run on our bikes. Sunday afternoon, I make sure I get home around 7 for a great dinner with friends prepared by my wife. We go out for a howl, take in a movie, or attend a party with friends and return home at 2 or so. I simply have no time for hobbies--maybe I'll wait until I am 73.

After 5 years in Pattaya I moved to CM last year and I also began to get bored. However on paper everything is better here. My house is bigger and prettier, the surrounding countryside is beautiful and the town itself is full of little nooks and crannies full of charm.

So what's the problem?

At Pattaya I met regularly visitors from all backgrounds. Rich or poor, educated or resourceful, conformist or adventurers, old or young etc ... Some with a personality that normally meets only in novels. In CM the only possible meeting with compatriots are limited to retirees like me, who have an opinion on everything coming from their too long experience. Hello freshness ...

The discussions generally turn to unilateral criticism of locals with the superior air. If you do not adopt this attitude you're not really welcome.

My solution was to socialize more with Thais starting with girls friend of my young woman. This take time but I am beginning to discover treasures of kindness with added the taste of festive joy coming finally deceive my boredom.

I live I Phuket. I am 73. I get up at 0:600 - 06:15. Spend a couple hours on the computer taking care of correspondence, reading the news feeds. Around 08;30 or 09:00 I exercise in my home gym for an hour or so. Weight training and elliptical trainer. The rest of the day is sometimes spent on my hobbies, which are wood working ,restoring my old car. I maintain the house, the garden, read a lot, ride the bicycle several times a week on 20 -30 km rides. Take the wife shopping when necessary, have a few good friends that I socialize with. I have an avocation that is stimulating and beneficial that takes up several hours a week. Even so I still get a bit bored at times especially this hot and humid time of the year which precludes some out door activities. I don't go to the bars as I don't drink and most people there are just whingeing and bitching about how terrible Thailand and the Thais are anyway. My advice is to get a hobby or two to keep you occupied and your mind sharp. Fishing, a bit of travelling to see new horizons. The wife and I have explored most of southern Thailand by car. Research shows that as we get older we can be susceptible to depression. Physical and mental activity guards against that. In the past I have had a change of lifestyle and scenery about every seven to ten years. Twelve years in Phuket means I am overdue for a change. It will be a move to the wife's farm near Khon Khean in a year or so. Probably to live out my last years. Stay active and fit.

I live in Hatyai, I am 70. During the week, I get up at 1-3pm. Spend a couple of hours on the internet drinking black coffee and tomato juice. Around 4, I have breakfast, usually papaya with lime with toast, sometimes with sausage, potatoes, eggs and croissant. I ride the exercise bike for two hours and around seven, I go downtown. I hit the bars, have a few cocktails, sweet talk some ladies and have dinner around 9. I meet a few buddies and go to a club with music, have a few drinks until 2-3. Around 3, I meet friends and have noodle soup, hit an after-hours club, have a few more cocktails and get home around 6. On Fridays, I usually play through from the night before and meet my brothers for an early morning brunch and a 400km two day poker run on our bikes. Sunday afternoon, I make sure I get home around 7 for a great dinner with friends prepared by my wife. We go out for a howl, take in a movie, or attend a party with friends and return home at 2 or so. I simply have no time for hobbies--maybe I'll wait until I am 73.

If I were you I wouldn't wait. According to the life expectancy charts and questionaires you aren't going to live to see 73. Living is Hat Yai is no help.

I really don't understand fellow expats who say they're bored and there's nothing to do. For starters, there are the various clubs-within-a-club that are affiliated with CM Expats Club. One doesn't have to be a member of CEC to participate in these activities. Also, the Community Sponsors of CEC, like the International Rotary Club and The Gate Theater offer opportunities for expats participate in meaningful activities:

http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/activities/

http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/community-sponsors/?show=category&t=community-sponsors

https://www.facebook.com/Chiang-Mai-Expats-Club-286223608211692/timeline/

And then there's always learning Thai. I worked at it for five years, about 10-15 hours a week at it if you considered the time I spent doing homework, too. So what if you can't hear tones? I got to be fairly proficient at reading and writing. It was a read eye-opener to read the same books the Thai kids read in school. I can even type and send emails in Thai. Why did I stop studying Thai? Even though I'm retired, I'm W-A-Y too busy with other activities and something just had to come off the schedule.

Edited by NancyL