Thai vendors undercharging/refusing money! HAHA

hellohello123

http://www.traveller.com.au/people-power-where-the-locals-are-the-main-attraction-gj6jwh

THAILAND

My friend Andrew was having an argument with the waitress. I could hear the two of them, voices raised in Thai, disputing something to do with our bill. Eventually a deal was struck and money changed hands, before Andrew came back to our table. "She was trying to undercharge me again," he laughed. "I've told her she can't do that. It's bad for business."

Andrew's an Australian who was living in the north-east of Thailand, near Ubon Ratchathani. He said his struggles to pay the full amount he owed at restaurants happened daily. Everyone was trying to be too nice.

Those cliches about Thailand being the "land of smiles" have a strong basis in truth. While there have been a few very troubling incidents in Bangkok recently, on the whole Thailand is a friendly, welcoming country, particularly once you get away from the tourist centres of Bangkok and Phuket (though they, too, are often just fine). Up in the north, there's an easy hospitality to the Thais that almost always comes with a smile. Even when you're arguing over your bill. See tourismthailand.org.

OMG , Someone please pick me up from the floor, I havent laughed so hard in my life!!!

About 15 years ago I had a songtaew driver let me off the fare because I'd forgotten my wallet but " happened daily" is stretching it a bit.

Update. My friend Andrew was stopped for speeding at an upcountry police roadblock and after being politely informed that the rules for speeding were quite strict in Thailand the cops had a whip round and gave him 5000 baht to buy a GPS which could monitor his speed accurately so as to avoid a similar situation in the future plus 5 complimentary tickets to the Policeman's Ball.

About 15 years ago I had a songtaew driver let me off the fare because I'd forgotten my wallet but " happened daily" is stretching it a bit.

Update. My friend Andrew was stopped for speeding at an upcountry police roadblock and after being politely informed that the rules for speeding were quite strict in Thailand the cops had a whip round and gave him 5000 baht to buy a GPS which could monitor his speed accurately so as to avoid a similar situation in the future plus 5 complimentary tickets to the Policeman's Ball.

I think Dollair springs to mind

shows just how much bullsh*t & lies TAT are prepared to go to try to keep their budget and try to make themselves look as though they are earning their keep. Most countries require a govt agency to write the truth and not fairy tales to fulfill their requirements but then TIT

Sometimes when i buy a lot of fruit at the market (always the same vendor though, the rest will rip me off) i do get things for free.

But many times in restaurants/shops they don't deliver what i ordered and never give me any discount. About 40% of the time we eat in restaurants something goes wrong, no matter if it's in cheap or expensive places.

We also booked hotels upcountry where the bathroom was totally black from mould which they started cleaning while we had to wait outside for 2 hours. No discount given of course.

But i always let my wife deal with the bill and just give my wallet. My thai is not sufficient enough and of course the waiters don't spea inlit.

While near Bang Na Recently I broke a nylon string which holds the lens in place on a new pair of glasses purchased in Khon Kaen. Two shops didn't have the string and tool to fix them. The third shop did and after fixing them immediately refused payment. I left 100 baht on the counter.

2 months ago I mistakenly handed a shop keeper 1000 baht for a purchase of 100 and turned to leave and she got my attention and began digging in her apron for my 900 baht change.

A hotel owner up country who I sent a few guests told her staff to prepare me a breakfast on the house. I enjoyed the meal and split the usual price between the staff.

I asked a glass shop for a sized piece of plexiglass 6 months ago. They cut it, wrapped it and refused payment. I rode away.

I've had 2 tradesmen Ioan me tools and refuse a tip. I forced 100 baht in ones pocket and take the other one a cold drink when I see him now.

I invited one of them to our wedding and he missed the day because of work. The next week he came to apologize with the invitation envelope and 400 baht inside. We thanked him and I told my wife to buy raffle tickets for his sons school when he came around a few weeks later. (she only bought 200 worth because she's cheap with our money) I could only laugh, up to them.

Not my only good experiences in Thailand just the easy ones to remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha Away from the tourist areas though there are alot of good people. When I was sick and went to a pharmacy somewhere in a village between Chiang mai and Chiang Rai ( driving between the two places) the owner refused payment for treating a wound (I speak thai). (Basically I had an open wound and was on my motorbike, it rained and the wound got messed up, it was treated and antibiotics given and all atempts at payment refused)

In china and Philippines I have had similar experiences though which seemed to be alot more common, then again I was rarely in tourist areas in those countries and did my best to return the favors.

Obviously I have seen many kind deeds from normal thais and others but this was a time a vendor refused to charge me.

On the other hand I have had Thai vendors charge me a lower price because I speak thai and then another forigner turns up I have actually been told that I get "local peice" so please dont mention what i paid to the other farang who only speaks English......

Edited by oli123

I am happy with the business I do with local vendors.

I have been dealing with the same vendors for years and feel some are true friends of mine.

It is not uncommon for a vendor to give me something for free once our transaction is complete

. What I really get a kick out of is when bartering is appropriate, we will spend five minutes bickering over reducing the price of something by 5%.

They enjoy the barter and so do I.

More times than not, they will agree to a somewhat reduced price...and then when I pay, they give me a 10% discount on the agreed price!

I love Thailand and most of the Thai people I deal with....

But then again, I do not live in Bangkok or a tourist area and am one of very few foreigners in my area.

This is not a joke, it's the truth.

I am happy with the business I do with local vendors.

I have been dealing with the same vendors for years and feel some are true friends of mine.

It is not uncommon for a vendor to give me something for free once our transaction is complete

. What I really get a kick out of is when bartering is appropriate, we will spend five minutes bickering over reducing the price of something by 5%.

They enjoy the barter and so do I.

More times than not, they will agree to a somewhat reduced price...and then when I pay, they give me a 10% discount on the agreed price!

I love Thailand and most of the Thai people I deal with....

But then again, I do not live in Bangkok or a tourist area and am one of very few foreigners in my area.

This is not a joke, it's the truth.

It is the truth. There are many stories like this. Get away from tourist aways and make the effort to speak

Thai, and you will most Thais to be very generous and kind people. The only bozos who wouldn't be able to believe stories like this are those who 1) never stray from tourist areas and 2) refuse to learn to speak Thai. If you only interact with those in the tourist business--in ANY country--in that stupid broken version of English, you will be only meeting a small percentage of that culture, and pretty much the money-grubbing dregs (hustlers) of the lot, too.