Pattaya & Jomtien Beaches

JayPhillips

I’m currently in Bangkok, was thinking about heading to Pattaya or Jomtien beach in the next day or two. After seeing the Thai news last night, I might reconsider. The report showed dead fish and rubbish all over the beaches in both Pattaya and Jomtien. The sea looked like it had gone green, can anyone confirm it’s really that bad or was this old news being re-run. I know Pattaya doesn’t have the cleanest of beaches, but this report was shocking.

Is there any other beaches around that area that are worth a visit?

Thanks

Is there any other beaches around that area that are worth a visit?

Na Jomtien (around the "Glass House" and "The View" restaurants) beach is usually much cleaner than Jomtien or Pattaya.

The beach at the Navy Ratings School, Bang Saray (approx 20km south of Pattaya), is always spotlessly clean - but busy at weekends.

The storm was large and I'm sure brought a lot of trash out to sea. We get hit hard by high tides and changing wind patterns also, which can bring trash in from the sea. But generally, the beaches are relatively clean of trash. Unfortunately, the water can be a bit dodgy. And even more so after a storm like this one.

Are you planning to swim or just sit and enjoy the views?

Does anyone go to those places to spend time at the beach and in the water?

Some do, just sitting on the beach and watch out.

Swimming has become a rare occurrence even in Jomtien (the Russians have gone tongue.png ).

And as said there are beaches not too far which are still good for all activities.

I suspect the news clip was showing the impact of the recent storms. Pattaya beaches have returned to their usual "high" standard and people are again enjoying water activities.

ThaiBob

I suggest you take advantage of the free eye tests here in Pattaya if you believe the beach/water are at an acceptable standard...........many western countries would be displaying a warning as to the health hazards of bathing in the water blink.png downright dangerous IMHO.

To swim no,not since 1986 when a Bondi cigar ruined my day.To perv,always.

If a Bondi cigar is what I think it is, there's no shortage floating in the water at Jomtien.

In fact when I was there in May, the weather was settled, the drains stank, and the sea water was very cloudy with what looked like paper in suspension. + the mini party balloons!

When you walk into the water, it's usual to have plastic bags catch around your feet.

Wednesdays you get to sit on the beach. No chairs, no umbrellas. A long walk for food or drinks.

I suspect the news clip was showing the impact of the recent storms. Pattaya beaches have returned to their usual "high" standard and people are again enjoying water activities.

ThaiBob

I suggest you take advantage of the free eye tests here in Pattaya if you believe the beach/water are at an acceptable standard...........many western countries would be displaying a warning as to the health hazards of bathing in the water blink.png downright dangerous IMHO.

You obviously don't do sarcasm (note the quotes).

I live in Jomtien and there is no way I am going in the water here or Pattaya. I use the condo

pool. Nice to walk along the boulevard (when they are in a state of repair) at Jomtien and

Pattaya. Have a beer, people watch. But water activities, no chance. coffee1.gif

If you want crystal clear seas and fabulous white sand- no to Jomtien & Pattaya. Everything has been cleaned up now.

If you wish to sit by the sea, Jomtien is not bad, Naklua better ( would not recommend swimming these days)

But then when the sun has set- you can venture forth to find some great restaurants, go bowling, catch a film or even apparently there are places which will offer you a soapy massage.

ThaiBob

They use to have posted warnings on the beaches in Los Angeles after storms. And they'd do warnings on the TV. NO swimming due to what's been washed into the sea. Normally, the seas are quite clear there.

Nang Ram beach in U-Tapow or Ban Chang Beach or beside that Pala (Phala) beach....I go on trips there regularly even though i live beside Bang Saray beach. I wouldn't cross the road to go to Pattaya, Jomtien or Bang Saray beaches, although Bang Saray beach is by far better than the first two.

Edited by dotpoom