Baht bus drivers join Hail Yes ride app

Jingthing

Well I saw this ride app Hail Yes advertised on baht buses and suspected yet another angle on the taxi monopoly here.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/number-of-hailyes-partners-triples-in-one-month-service-area-expands-to-include-2-billion-rides-annually-300132180.html

Assuming the fares are similar to current baht bus charter fares it seems I was right.

Anyone checked the fares yet?

"An example of a market gaining traction is the city of Pattaya, Thailand, where the Company is now actively working to register drivers, including drivers of share taxis. Known locally as songtaews (literally, "two rows"), and sometimes called "baht buses", these share taxis are a primary mode of transport for approximately 500,000 passengers a day throughout the city. The Company intends to generate revenue via transaction fees for this service and also raise visibility of HailYes through interior/exterior signage."

Edited by Jingthing

At the same or higher price why would you hail a truck rather than a taxi for any normal ride?

Maybe for people in groups, I used to see Russians, 4-5 people often trying to hire baht bus. Outside Royal Cliff, they needed a ride to Walking St, and they gladly agreed to 300 baht ride.

But when are you going to get a motorbike?

At the same or higher price why would you hail a truck rather than a taxi for any normal ride?

Maybe for people in groups, I used to see Russians, 4-5 people often trying to hire baht bus. Outside Royal Cliff, they needed a ride to Walking St, and they gladly agreed to 300 baht ride.

But when are you going to get a motorbike?

Sure a group too big for a car. Obviously. Will never get a bike. Stop asking. It's like you wish me injury. Not amusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link to install the HAILYES app on your smartphone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.worldmoto.hailyes&hl=en

The cool thing with it is you can check sample fares without starting to book anything.

I checked one fare and the quote was actually reasonable.

Perhaps 1/3 less of the extortionary fare I would expect chartering a truck directly on the street.

In other words, sounds too good to be true (for Pattaya).

Of course the proof is in the riding and I assume the riding is in a TRUCK.

Edited by Jingthing