Electric subsidy gone ?

It used yo be, that a household, consuming less than 50 KW/hours per month would receive a bill for Bht 0.00. Probably to help poor Thai-Households.

I travel a lot, half of the time not home, so my electricity bill was always 0.00

But, the last 3 months, I have been billed for every KW/hour I used, regardless if consumption was below or above the 50 KW hours.

Question: Has this 50 KW/hours subsidy program been cancelled, OR: Has the local electricity chieftain decided, that this program is strictly for Thai's only, and this "rich" Farang is excluded from this program?

Anyone in the know?

Since everybody consumes electricity in one form or another, I have posted this in the General Forum and not in in the Real-Estate sub forum.

Thx & cheers.

I asked today at the breakfast table.

No change, 50 kWh are free.

At least here, village in Khon Kaen, meter registered to Thai daughter.

I don't know whether the free electricity is bound to some status of "being poor".

As far as I know some benefits/subsidies are bound to such a status.

Here is this months bill for 2 5/15amp meters.

post-2109-0-86512300-1443152063_thumb.jp

I'm pretty sure that if you have a 15/45 amp meter ( ie: rich ha ha ) you have to pay for all usage....

a couple of people I know of got caught out by this left their rooms empty for a couple of months assuming that they didn't have to pay but came back to no electricity as the meter had been removed by the electric company.

Do you have the standard 5/15 amp meter or did you upgrade to 15/45 amp meter ? 5/15 amp still gets subsidies here in Chonburi

As I have learned by my Thai neighbor, that during my last absence, the Electric Company "changed" my meter. So, I probably have a 15/45 now. Never had any problems with the 5/15 before.

Take note: I have never asked the Electric Company to "change" my meter. Nor was I asked by the company beforehand if I would agree to this !

Does something like this sail under "This is Thailand" or what else ?

Cheers.

You should be able to see easily if its a 5/15 amp meter 5 (15) A

here are 2 styles of 5/15 amp meters there are also digital types but I think they are 15/45

post-2109-0-91190700-1443174143_thumb.jp

post-2109-0-30400700-1443174166_thumb.jp

You could go to the electric company and ask to be put back on a 5/15 meter

maybe they changed it because they thought you where drawing to many Amps

an aircon, electric hot plates, shower and microwave oven all running at once pull quite a bit of power.

Edited by johng