PM pleads with his opponents in the US to think about the country’s image

Lite Beer

This poor sap; I almost feel sorry for him. He is so far over his head.

He's such an embarrassment for Thailand.

Maybe he should think about "the country's image" and step down.

Step down? And what then? Let the corrupt/immoral/unethical Shin mafia back in to pillage and plunder the remaining funds and people of Thailand?

So he is going to remain after saying he wants democracy and elections, as well as, giving a time frame ? Once there is an election who do you think is going to be running Thailand ? This is all just one big disruption . The Shinawatras will remain in control and the US and other countries know this. It is just a matter of time.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step down? And what then? Let the corrupt/immoral/unethical Shin mafia back in to pillage and plunder the remaining funds and people of Thailand?

Yes, if that is what the electorate vote for in a free and fair election, or do you consider your needs and wishes to be more important than that?

Yes, if that is what the electorate vote for in a free and fair election, or do you consider your needs and wishes to be more important than that?

People get the governments they deserve.

There is clearly a lack of understanding going on here.

Democracy is far from perfect and has many rough edges. But the PM needs to be careful. On one hand he is going to address the UN on Thailand's progress according to 'his' democratic road-map, but on the other hand he is telling / demanding / pleading with his detractors to not protest (and by inference) use their democratic right of freedom of expression and assembly. This could well leave delegates scratching their heads and wondering just how much of the road-map will be transferred from words into actions and what a future democratic Thailand will actually look like.

It would have been far better if the PM had either said nothing or said something along the lines of 'peaceful protests which follow the law are an important part of a democracy'. Flouncing off the UN with this story of 'saving the image of Thailand' is a bit of a bogus message.

Edited by jonclark

There is clearly a lack of understanding going on here.

Democracy is far from perfect and has many rough edges. But the PM needs to be careful. On one hand he is going to address the UN on Thailand's progress according to 'his' democratic road-map, but on the other hand he is telling / demanding / pleading with his detractors to not protest (and by inference) use their democratic right of freedom of expression and assembly. This could well leave delegates scratching their heads and wondering just how much of the road-map will be transferred from words into actions and what a future democratic Thailand will actually look like.

It would have been far better if the PM had either said nothing or said something along the lines of 'peaceful protests which follow the law are an important part of a democracy'. Flouncing off the UN with this story of 'saving the image of Thailand' is a bit of a bogus message.

You make a good point, but I don't think that the other delegates will be in the slightest bit uncertain as to what a future "democratic Thailand" will be like if "The Last Hope for Saving the Nation's" plans come to fruition.

In NY, two protest permits have been granted. The first is for the "Anti-Coup" group, which was granted permission to hold their protest on 1st Ave, directly in front of the UN. The second was for the "Pro-Junta" group, which was given permission to hold their protest on 2nd Ave - a block away! And they are not allowed to leave that area.

So, tell me which group the UN is going to see?

It's like a husband trying to win a domestic dispute by saying "Keep your voice down, what will the neighbours think?"

This really is rather pathetic.

When in Rome......I do believe freedom of speech is allowed in New York.

Malay authorities always have their fascist minders keeping tabs on Malaysian students in the U.S. At my graduate university in Illinois, there was plenty of that, plus some Malay males trying to coerce Malay females into marriage.

Typical propaganda tactic: accuse the enemy of your own crime. The big tarnishing was the illegal seizure of power and the destruction of democracy by Chan-ocha himself.

Democracy? In Thailand? LOL good one. Can you give some examples of the workings of "democracy"; other than a "right to vote"?

The right to vote is where it all starts.

Take that away and you destroy democracy.

It doesn't matter whether you approve or disapprove of the elected government. It should be replaced or retained by the democratic process - the right to vote is the crux of the matter.

I believe the other two components are equally important: freedom of speech and accountability of government. After all the Malaysians elected Mahathir and Najib and what kind of democracy have they got? Mussolini was elected, wasn't he?

Typical propaganda tactic: accuse the enemy of your own crime. The big tarnishing was the illegal seizure of power and the destruction of democracy by Chan-ocha himself.

Democracy? In Thailand? LOL good one. Can you give some examples of the workings of "democracy"; other than a "right to vote"?

The right to vote is where it all starts.

Take that away and you destroy democracy.

It doesn't matter whether you approve or disapprove of the elected government. It should be replaced or retained by the democratic process - the right to vote is the crux of the matter.

I believe the "crux of the matter" is Rule of Law. Without it there is NO democracy.

In NY, two protest permits have been granted. The first is for the "Anti-Coup" group, which was granted permission to hold their protest on 1st Ave, directly in front of the UN. The second was for the "Pro-Junta" group, which was given permission to hold their protest on 2nd Ave - a block away! And they are not allowed to leave that area.

So, tell me which group the UN is going to see?

I'm sure the diplomats get around a little

These Thai elite never get the message do they? They live in a dream world of Merceds Benz and airconditioned mansions in Bangkok.

Theyre worried about Thailands image in the USA? Most yanks wouldnt even know where Thailand is.

If Thailand didnt have a tarnished image alot fewer people would come here. lol

Most people in America wouldnt know who Prayuth is little own care. What are the first things most people think of when they hear the word 'Thailand'... gogo bars,drugs and sex.

Very few people will say temples,national parks and beautiful beaches.

Thailand needs to protect its tarnished image not get rid of it.

The integrity of "the vote" in this village, and others, is a joke. People around here have been downtrodden for so long they will do anything for a few extra baht. They don't care a/b politics but only who can give more for a vote. Oh and T.S. was rife with handouts to these poor souls. Before his handouts most governments - from what I've been told - were not in the least bit interested in helping (in any way). That's the reason T.S. is admired, and the only reason.

I have visited Thailand many times I have lived there for an extended period of time also.

The image I have is a country clueless, lawless, prostitution, corruption, crumbling infrastructure, racism, xenophobia, feudal, a wasted uneducated population.

I have some very good memories of people, places and experiences, however the country is in need of help that is sadly not forthcoming by those in Thailand that are in a position to improve the image by improving the country for it's people.

A ha, thought it wouldn't be too long before someone came up with "Shin" blah blah blah.

As if it was the only corrupt government ever in the history of Thailand.

One side blagging the other, how ridiculous.

Meanwhile, the elites are back in power through their military proxies and the plundering is well under way.

The integrity of "the vote" in this village, and others, is a joke. People around here have been downtrodden for so long they will do anything for a few extra baht. They don't care a/b politics but only who can give more for a vote. Oh and T.S. was rife with handouts to these poor souls. Before his handouts most governments - from what I've been told - were not in the least bit interested in helping (in any way). That's the reason T.S. is admired, and the only reason.

Exactly, he did what the elitists and the yellows were too stupid to do. He reached out to the majority and won. Abhisit to this day cannot campaign in Issan or the north as he and others largely ignored these people. Now they wield huge power over Thailand. Power only the Army can contain, dubiously.

What planet is this man living on ?

He takes over a country in a military coup then has the cheek to tell those who will demonstrate their opposition not to tarnish the country's image !

Maybe he thinks they're infringing on his patent to make a fool of himself and the country.

Agree, but thing is, most were quite happy to have him intervene to stop the escalating hubris of the latest moves by Taksin via his newest proxy, notably the rice pledging fiasco and the amnesty bill. However, few knew this junta would go so far in the suppression of ever dissenting voices. Prayuth is not Sondhi. Too late now.

That is the Patriotic Defense - Don't hurt the image of our country ... like he hasn't ???

This might have more force if better more substantive efforts of "Reconciliation" had been used in Thailand. But they haven't have they wink.png

So have a nice trip. Sorry about the image being tarnished.

And what are T.S.'s sentiments about democracy? :-)

over his head.

So he is going to remain after saying he wants democracy and elections, as well as, giving a time frame ? Once there is an election who do you think is going to be running Thailand ? This is all just one big disruption . The Shinawatras will remain in control and the US and other countries know this. It is just a matter of time.

It does not matter. They control the majority and this coup has done nothing to change that. In fact the Shinawatras are probably going to be seen as stronger when good general toddles off one day . Had Ying Luck, not tried to pardon her brother or have the government stupidly encroach on the trading of rice, where would Thailand be today ?

Where would it be if zero politicians were corrupt?

Unfortunately, that is all theory.

Prayut just happens to be the lesser of....... something I'd better not say....

He's a disgrace encased in hypocrisy and wrapped up in delusion

anti-Junta protest "think of the country you traitors"

pro-junta protest "thank you for your support showing all Thais truly love me"

Yeah, That is an elitist serving view. He has done nothing but create more contempt in the country. He is not a fair person.