Strava and other options

bobfish

For quite a while I've been a proponent of Strava [and a Premium Member for some years]. It has provided the easiest device [smartphone/GPS] data integration and largest social interaction. One feature that I've appreciated has been Strava's use of Google Maps/Earth and Streetview to plan or assess new routes.

No more. Strava has ceased using Google in the majority of its features and now relies on Mapbox with data primarily sourced from Openstreetmap. These maps and Earth views are mostly outdated. The zoom function is extremely limiting. Strava does provide a function for users to improve the mapping data, but it is a slow and cumbersome process: I have only one lifetime.

Strava has lost its shine and I will not be renewing my Premium status. A shame really as I have just upgraded the firmwear in my Garmin 510 to facilitate the Livesegments function.

So, while there are workarounds using plugins and transferring gpx files to/from Google Earth, I'm interested in what other riders are using. For example, I know some are happy with Runtastic, but I'm thinking of something which streamlines or combines the good bits of GE and syncs to Strava [basic] or similar. Maybe something like Tapariik which claims: "tapiriik synchronizes your fitness activities between Garmin Connect, Runkeeper, Strava, TrainingPeaks, SportTracks.mobi, Endomondo, RideWithGPS, TrainerRoad, Motivato, Velo Hero, Epson RUNSENSE, Dropbox, and Smashrun
(your heart rate, cadence, power, and temperature data syncs too)"......

Anyone have a better idea?

Better idea, no, but this is what I do.

I plan a route using Google Maps as a standalone on the computer and then send to my phone using Chrome to Phone. For bike data logging, I use IpBike on my phone (ANT+) which then uploads to Velohero and then use Tapiriik to sync to everything else except Garmin Connect. For Garmin, I use the data collected on my Forerunner 620 and upload that directly.

Clunky and not a real solution, unfortunately.

I tried Map My Ride a few times but didn't really enjoy that much either unless I use it in addition to everything else.

Better idea, no, but this is what I do.

I plan a route using Google Maps as a standalone on the computer and then send to my phone using Chrome to Phone. For bike data logging, I use IpBike on my phone (ANT+) which then uploads to Velohero and then use Tapiriik to sync to everything else except Garmin Connect. For Garmin, I use the data collected on my Forerunner 620 and upload that directly.

Clunky and not a real solution, unfortunately.

I tried Map My Ride a few times but didn't really enjoy that much either unless I use it in addition to everything else.

Good Lord!

I use Runtastic as my primary tracking and statistics tool, and then save and upload any ride worth boasting about to Strava.

I don't actually have the Strava app on my phone, and only use it on line but not live.

Runtastic uses Googlemaps, I think, so I use that for assessing my wrong turns and planning alternative routes. But I don't use any guiding software, and keep my phone in my backpack. If I wanted someone to tell me where to go, I'd cycle with my wife.

I do sometimes use the phone - only the Runtastic map, if I am lost or confused and there's no-one watching.

SC

Funnily enough the new mapping solution in my area of Bangkok is superior to Google maps, so I'm not overly fussed about the change :-)

But then I never used it to plan and assess routes, I just look at a map and then ride in the general direction and see where it takes me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Cyclemeter Elite on my iPhone but I am not really sure why as I usually only glance at the results once after the ride. The health app on my phone tracks most of my activity in the background anyway and that is probably as much as I need.

The DuoTrap Sensor which came builtin with my bike gives me all the readouts I could possibly use on a ride. After a ride I mainly look at average speed and time spent in Zone 3 and Zone 4, where I am most of the ride.
I do on occasion look at Google Earth Pro to get ideas for new routes to explore but I know my area pretty well by now and the routes I take always have options for extending if I feel good and taking a shorter way home if I am running out of steam.
I am not terribly driven or goal oriented and pretty much go by feel. It seems some people find all the data gathering and perusal to be motivational. I just try to get a gauge on my overall heart health and fitness, while not pushing it too hard for my age.
I did have a goal of breaking 100 km, which I recently did in the heat along with a few 90 km rides, so maybe I might begin thinking about 100 miles sometime this winter. Anyway I alway enjoy my rides and my one remaining weakness, other than age and weight, seems to my neck on long rides.

Stick with strava. But I agree the maps are cr@p now. Since I found out about strava challenges & clubs, I've pushed myself more. Motivated me to try harder. For road rides, it's easy to create routes to upload to phone or gps. For mtb rides, google earth is ok.

Funnily enough the new mapping solution in my area of Bangkok is superior to Google maps, so I'm not overly fussed about the change :-)

But then I never used it to plan and assess routes, I just look at a map and then ride in the general direction and see where it takes me.

I understand that the more populated areas are quite reasonable due to user updates - enjoy it!!

I travel a LOT through my work, so I end up in many unfamiliar countries/cities. If I can't rent a reasonable bike, I drag mine along. With that sort of commitment, I utilised the better mapping and Streetview functions that Strava did have to help plan rides. While I'd like to embrace Villagefarang's style, It's potentially risky to go by feel in some areas - better to make it back to the Hotel than get geographically embarrassed. That sinking feeling of being jet lagged, f*cked famished and far-from-home gets old quickly.

Edited by bobfish

I understand that the more populated areas are quite reasonable due to user updates - enjoy it!!

I travel a LOT through my work, so I end up in many unfamiliar countries/cities. If I can't rent a reasonable bike, I drag mine along. With that sort of commitment, I utilised the better mapping and Streetview functions that Strava did have to help plan rides. While I'd like to embrace Villagefarang's style, It's potentially risky to go by feel in some areas - better to make it back to the Hotel than get geographically embarrassed. That sinking feeling of being jet lagged, f*cked famished and far-from-home gets old quickly.

So I need to replace Strava....

I get it now. My way simply wouldn't work. Personally I am nowhere near as dedicated to riding as you are and would probably go to a nice gym and lift weights like I did in the past.

So I need to replace Strava....

On business trips I normally just take my collection of SufferFest videos and head down to the gym with them. I still haven't found a flight case that my bike will fit in to take it with me, perils of an integrated seat post and a large frame size..... :-)

Had a look at the app I used to use before Strava, called Endomondo, but that uses mapping provided by Tom Tom, so that won't help you with the street view side of things, but maybe route planning might be better?

Also saw on the Strava forums that they are providing an external link to take you to street view, rather than being integrated as before. Not sure if that is helpful or not, but doesn't help with the map accuracy inside Strava.

Not sure that there is a single app that can answer your requirements, in the way that Strava used to. But if you find one, please let us know!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a bit of an update.

I bought a RWGPS premium account. The mapping and planning functions are excellent. Though the social interaction and segments etc are less streamlined and populated than Strava. I've done a ride or three using it. A handy option is being able to download the maps onto the phone app [ios in my case] and use the navigation without data charges. Very economical when traveling, but battery level has to be managed. I may have gotten a little geographically embarrassed because of this whistling.gif....

After spending my money on RWGPS, [!!!], a very smart chap called Thomas Champagne, developed a plug in for Strava called StravistiX. This plug in only operates on Google Chrome and not my preferred Firefox, but gives back google maps, earth and streetview. Thomas is officially a legend! Having said that, I'm still annoyed with Strava for unilaterally changing things and refusing any dialogue! So I'll persevere with RWGPS -[and I've spent the money anyway!]

Here's a bit of an update.

I bought a RWGPS premium account. The mapping and planning functions are excellent. Though the social interaction and segments etc are less streamlined and populated than Strava. I've done a ride or three using it. A handy option is being able to download the maps onto the phone app [ios in my case] and use the navigation without data charges. Very economical when traveling, but battery level has to be managed. I may have gotten a little geographically embarrassed because of this whistling.gif....

After spending my money on RWGPS, [!!!], a very smart chap called Thomas Champagne, developed a plug in for Strava called StravistiX. This plug in only operates on Google Chrome and not my preferred Firefox, but gives back google maps, earth and streetview. Thomas is officially a legend! Having said that, I'm still annoyed with Strava for unilaterally changing things and refusing any dialogue! So I'll persevere with RWGPS -[and I've spent the money anyway!]

I noticed the StravistiX update this past weekend, pretty good.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL10 using Tapatalk

Edited by moonoi