Fish Sauce

mrg1967

Is it mandatory that every thai dish must use fish sauce? I hate the stuff! It seems like everything my gf cooks id smothered in it. Have a barbecue and the chicken, pork and beef have to taste of fish. Cook a fish and even though it already tastes of fish it has to have fish bloody sauce on it. The same cooking indoors. Even a simple stir fried vegetable dish tastes of bloody fish. Cooked an English breakfast and I had HP sauce. What did she put on it? Fish bloody sauce.

I have challenged the gf on this that her taste buds are immune to it after 45 years with no response.

Is this an isolated case of fish sauce addiction or are we aĺl in the same boat! Cooking my own food now.......

Think of it as an alternative to salt. That's how it's used. In Vietnam, it's usually prepared as a sauce by combining it with crushed garlic, sugar, vinegar (or lemon) and thinly sliced chilis. Back in the middle ages it used to be popular in Europe. I like fish sauce to which no MSG is added. Phu Quoc is a popular and famous brand. There is a huge number of varieties available in Thai grocery stores. I know many people who wouldn't think of having a meal without fish sauce. Often people are put off by the smell but like the taste. During the war in Vietnam, I was once on a C-130 that was transporting villagers out of a free-fire zone with their jars of fish sauce. Several of the jars broke flooding the cargo bay floor with fish sauce. That must have been an unpopular plane for a while.

In the U.S., some crappy Thai and Vietnamese places that cater to non- Southeast Asians tend to avoid the fish sauce. Without the fish sauce, the flavor is TOTALLY WRONG. But there is such a thing as too much fish sauce, similar to too salty in any cuisine.

I realize some people just hate the flavor of fish sauce but it's vital in Thai cooking, so if you don't like fish sauce, you don't like real Thai food.

Edited by Jingthing

Fish Sauce also provides a source of Iodine. Fake fish sauce caused a problems with Goiters a long time ago.

I participated in on of the Princess Royal Projects to add Iodine to Salt.

Fish Sauce provided an essential ingredient for the health of Thai's especially in Northern Thailand.

And they did and do sell fake fish sauce. And the Iodized salt, if you could find it was very expensive.

In the U.S., some crappy Thai and Vietnamese places that cater to non- Southeast Asians tend to avoid the fish sauce. Without the fish sauce, the flavor is TOTALLY WRONG. But there is such a thing as too much fish sauce, similar to too salty in any cuisine.

I realize some people just hate the flavor of fish sauce but it's vital in Thai cooking, so if you don't like fish sauce, you don't like real Thai food.

Fish sauce is extremely high in sodium. Absolutely and incredibly unhealthy. It should be avoided at all costs. Especially if you are older.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/stories/2010/04/08/2867126.htm

You need to avoid salt because it causes high blood pressure or hypertension, which the World Health Organization blames for 62 per cent of strokes and 49 per cent of coronary heart disease.

In fact, the amount of salt you eat is probably the most significant factor in raising your blood pressure, says Professor Bruce Neal, chair of the Australian Division of World Action on Salt and Health.

"It [high salt consumption] will increase your risk of anything associated with blood pressure. It will increase your risk of stroke, coronary heart disease, heart failure and chronic kidney disease – mostly vascular things," Neal says.

One tablespoon gives you 50% of your daily value for sodium. Unfortunately, the same can be said for soy sauce.sad.png

My wife doesn't cook for me with fish sauce. Nor sugar. There are healthy alternatives for both.

Yes I'm sure there are health concerns with salt in general and that might be more apt to be debated on the health forum. From a culinary POV, fish sauce is vital in many Thai food dishes. Also when substitutes are used to cater to people who don't like the flavor or fish sauce, I reckon it's usually with another form of salt and not done for health purposes.

Fish sauce is extremely high in sodium. Absolutely and incredibly unhealthy. It should be avoided at all costs. Especially if you are older.

You need to avoid salt because it causes high blood pressure or hypertension, which the World Health Organization blames for 62 per cent of strokes and 49 per cent of coronary heart disease.

In fact, the amount of salt you eat is probably the most significant factor in raising your blood pressure, says Professor Bruce Neal, chair of the Australian Division of World Action on Salt and Health.

"It [high salt consumption] will increase your risk of anything associated with blood pressure. It will increase your risk of stroke, coronary heart disease, heart failure and chronic kidney disease – mostly vascular things," Neal says.

One tablespoon gives you 50% of your daily value for sodium. Unfortunately, the same can be said for soy sauce.sad.png

My wife doesn't cook for me with fish sauce. Nor sugar. There are healthy alternatives for both.

OK, what tastes like fish sauce or soy sauce with no sodium?

I would never use 1 tablespoon of fish sauce in any recipe, just a few drops. You can't make authentic Thai without it.

I believe we can eat most things in moderation without being paranoid about it being "bad" for us.

I'm always skeptical when someone says don't eat this or that.

Yes I'm sure there are health concerns with salt in general and that might be more apt to be debated on the health forum. From a culinary POV, fish sauce is vital in many Thai food dishes. Also when substitutes are used to cater to people who don't like the flavor or fish sauce, I reckon it's usually with another form of salt and not done for health purposes.

Also in extremely hot climates as Thailand, salt deficiency is a common problem. Salt helps absorb the extra water needed.

In the Middle East, salt intake is encouraged and the maximums are higher than in our home countries.

Moderation is the key when discussing health diet.

Agreed.

There really are no bad natural foods when done in moderation.

Even sugar is fine within limits but very harmful in excess.
Exceptions are usually unnatural things like trans-fats ... basically poison.

Also for people with existing health conditions ... they have special needs.

Edited by Jingthing

Standard fish sauce is totally different from the stuff made from rotting fish (Badair or Bara), not sure about the spelling, which is quite revolting. I use ordinary fish sauce a lot, e.g. for pick nam pla with fresh chillis, which makes a pleasant replacement for salt.

Why do expats living in Thailand complain so much about Thai food. There is no need for them to eat it, with Western style food available just about everywhere. Is it due to their general unhappiness? You don't see many smiling faces among farangs unlike with Thai people. A lot of farangs look and behave as if they had to live in an enforced exile. I am a regular in a Thai restaurant who serve nice fish and chips. Maybe they don't have awful British condiments like malt vinegar or brown sauce. Just too bad!

I am OK with storebought "nam pla", which is usually made from fermented anchovies with extra salt and water. I can't imagine eating larb gai, krapow moo, and other dishes without it. However, Iam not a big fan of "pla dak", which my Thai GF makes from anything that swims and ferments in a 40 gallon plastic trash container for one year++. The smell when she pops the lid to scoop out a week's supply causes swarms of green bottle flies to attack like the biplanes attacking King Kong. Thankfully, my GF limits the addition of "pla dak" to small portions added to very well-cooked Thai dishes for me. She has the "pla dak bong" all to herself....

I forgot to mention my GF calls them both "fish sauce". So, best to clarify which one you wish to avoid, when possible. That being said, Thai food just wouldn't taste the same without the use of both types... in moderation, of course.

Here's a link to Lao style "pla dak" or "padaek" for the more adventurous of you:

http://padaek.com/make-padaek-lao-fermented-fish-sauce-recipe/

Edited by EddieBaBaBoBo

I know many people don't like it and it is a non-Western taste but, after living in Vietnam for many years,

I love the stuff...I go out of my way to try different brands from different countries.

Questions: How to anger a Thai?

Answer: Tell them Vietnamese fish sauce from Phu Quoc is the best!

Tablespoon???? I don't think I use a tablespoon of salt in a week, let alone a day

1500 mg of sodium equals about 0.75 teaspoons or 3.75 grams of salt per day, while 2300 mg equals about one teaspoon and 6 grams of salt per day.........most food is naturally salty. But I can't resist putng it on French Fries............Nam Pla and Nouc Mam gives my food all the alt I need or want.wai2.gif

Standard fish sauce is totally different from the stuff made from rotting fish (Badair or Bara), not sure about the spelling, which is quite revolting. I use ordinary fish sauce a lot, e.g. for pick nam pla with fresh chillis, which makes a pleasant replacement for salt.

Why do expats living in Thailand complain so much about Thai food. There is no need for them to eat it, with Western style food available just about everywhere. Is it due to their general unhappiness? You don't see many smiling faces among farangs unlike with Thai people. A lot of farangs look and behave as if they had to live in an enforced exile. I am a regular in a Thai restaurant who serve nice fish and chips. Maybe they don't have awful British condiments like malt vinegar or brown sauce. Just too bad!

Pangasius and chips with fish sauce, or fresh caught haddock and chips on the front at Whitby or Bridlington, with lashings of salt and vinegar? Let me think.

Pangasius and chips with fish sauce, or fresh caught haddock and chips on the front at Whitby or Bridlington, with lashings of salt and vinegar? Let me think.